1.    #1  
    I thought makes a whole lot of sense.

http://www.clintonpresidentialcenter..._nyu_2003.html
    joe
    Originally posted by LaughingMan
    I thought makes a whole lot of sense.

http://www.clintonpresidentialcenter..._nyu_2003.html
    Want to give us an executive summary? It's quite long.
  3.    #3  
    I think even an executive summary would be too long...

Here are some points/quotes I picked up from the article:

"The omnibus deal on globalization has to be to build a world with more partners and fewer terrorists, more friends and fewer enemies. And that's nothing more than what was done by Harry Truman, George Marshall and in Japan, Douglas MacArthur, after World War II. They got it. After World War I, the Treaty of Versailles was a disaster. The repudiation of the League of Nations was a disaster. The rise of protectionism was a disaster. And you put all those three things together, and you've got World War II and tens of millions of people lying slaughtered. So after World War II, those leaders who had spent their lives in the first half of the 20th century said, "Hey, suppose we take a little money and try to not have World War III and have more friends and fewer enemies."

"...the inspections in the 90s destroyed far more weapons, weapon stocks, missiles, and component parts than the Gulf War did."

"Mohammed Ata had twelve addresses, in the computers of mass mailing companies. If our government simply had the same data processing capacity these private companies do, they would have a tickler system every week or so they'd check and see who's been here less than two years who's got more than two addresses. They're either rich or up to no good. Let's go see which. That's a lot better than just profiling people because of their religion or their ethnic heritage or whatever else. One of the men who flew into the World Trade Center had two hundred and fifty thousand dollars in debt on thirty credit cards, paying out a consolidated payment of ninety eight hundred dollars a month. Now if you've been here less than two years, and you owe over fifty thousand dollars and you've got more than three or four credit cards, you're either rich or up to no good. That information is available on all of us already so we ought to be able to figure that out instead of giving up our civil liberties."

"I think it inconceivable that there will not be economies as big as ours. The Chinese will be. If the Indians will quit fighting with the Pakistanis and, wasting money on defense they can make the Indian subcontinent grow faster than China. If the EU keeps becoming more "U" - more united - they're already bigger than we are, they just have to formalize what exists under the surface. Therefore the American people ought to be asked to think about how we would like to be treated when we're no longer the biggest dog on the street. And, whether we shouldn't behave now with that future in mind, because I think we'll be judged in part then by what we do now, by how we handle this magic moment."
    joe