• 2 Post By Mutoidi
  • 3 Post By xandros9
  • 1 Post By TJs11thPre
  • 1 Post By jccjmml7
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I've been a webOS fan since it became available. I'm not a developer, but I'm fanatical enough to build and maintain a FrankenPre2, which I'm proud of myself for doing successfully.

One of my other passions is air-cooled VWs. I worked for VW over 20 years ago, and have built a few nice collectibles. This year, i found a "diamond in the rough" which had been garaged by the original owner's family, until they decided to sell it to pay for their new kitchen remodel! Heh!

This is a 1973 Super Beetle Convertible with 85000 miles on the odometer. Now, VWs of this age will "roll over" at 100k, back to 0. But they gave me a stack of service records for everything ever done, and the mileage corresponds to dates through the years in an appropriate sequence. So the mileage is documented, which is a rare occurrence.

I disassembled the car, and sent it out for fresh paint. The color is Olympic Blue, which has a nice, bold brightness to it, like a sunny blue sky. Then i began restoring or replacing every piece as needed. Some things i could recondition, like the original carpet. It looks great. Other things needed more help, like the sun cracked dashboard, which i recovered with a new top. I went through every system. Now, everything works and looks as it should.

When i redo a VW, i also like to modernize it a bit, for a fresher driving experience. I want these cars driven, not stored like an old coin. So i put on nice new tires and wheels, all lights get new bulbs, a clear new windshield, and a decent stereo that actually pairs to your Bluetooth. Of course, a power outlet had to be added to charge a phone!

73 VW For Sale - Album on Imgur

This is the album with more pictures if you'd like to look through it and see what kind of work i do when I'm not dissecting tiny phones. And if you're interested in making this VW yours, please PM me. Or if you have one collecting dust in your garage, maybe i can help you bring it back to like new. Air cooled VWs are similar to webOS devices to me, in that they become endeared to us, like a member of the family.

And they're just so cute! If you've got one, post a pic here too!

Thanks for looking!
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    gazaud and jccjmml7 like this.
    That's cool. Glad to see I'm not the only car nut on here. I think bugs are neat, but I don't really like riding in them. My only time in one I felt like I was two inches from the windshield.. just a little cozy even for a runt like me - even more so than I am now.
    TJs11thPre likes this.
  3.    #3  
    It is like riding in a teacup. But so many people wave and smile at you in this thing, it's almost like being on a parade float. It's too fun.
    Hehe! Nice.
    I have never owned a VW Bug to drive (I prefer the Morris Minor), but have 'sculpted' with them ~
    and left this big guy looking OVER the Berlin Wall in Sept '89. (Pic).

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mutoidi; 06/21/2016 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Sp.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    TJs11thPre and Grabber5.0 like this.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Hehe! Nice.
    I have never owned a VW Bug to drive (I prefer the Morris Minor), but have 'sculpted' with them ~
    and left this big guy looking OVER the Berlin Wall in Sept '89. (Pic).

Wow! That thing is almost scary! It's huge!
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    Wow! That thing is almost scary! It's huge!
    Aaww! He's supposed to be Smiling.
    Yes.. bath-tubs for feet & 18 inch diameter steel water pipe for legs made him just tall enough to see over the Wall!

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Wow. That brings back memories.

My first car was a '73 Super Beetle hardtop. My strongest memories around it are how you could see the fenders from inside as you were driving. I made a couple of long trips in mine. It was scary at 75 mph -- nearly uncontrollable -- but fine at 55 mph. The brakes used to heat and fade when driving around hilly towns too. The car had a gas heater, but my father had heard tales of them catching fire, so forbade me from using it. There's nothing quite like driving with a toque and gloves, and scraping the frost from INSIDE your windshield at -40 C.

Despite (or perhaps because of) all those eccentricities, I miss that car.
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Nexus 4
    Too bad OldSkool isn't around, if my memory serves me right.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    TJs11thPre, jcho98 and Shuswap like this.
  9.    #9  
    that blue one sold on ebay for $16k. . Just shipped it to TX. I'm about to start on the next one, picking it up tomorrow. It'll be a white '77 with a tan fabric top. Trying to decide on wheels now...

I think many have a 'VW catching on fire' story. Mine is my mom pulled me out of the back seat of one when i was a toddler. A friend once told me she hates VWs because when she was a toddler her dad used her favorite blanket to beat out their flaming VW engine. I've heard plenty more.

Anyone else got flaming VW tales?
    Shuswap likes this.
    I think its super cool what you are doing with those old VWs. My wife would kill for another super beetle, she had one for her very first car.

I am personally into fox-body mustangs and small cc street bikes. I regretfully sold my 89 5.0 GT on Ebay in 2006.

Seems like VWs are fun to tinker with.....may have to start looking for my wife another one! Of course, it will need to be a work-in-progress so I can get some garage time out of it.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    It is like riding in a teacup. But so many people wave and smile at you in this thing, it's almost like being on a parade float. It's too fun.
    Yeah it's nice to get all the waves and thumbs up. Mavericks are the same way. You get a different crowd because neither one was a performance car in their day.
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    Too bad OldSkool isn't around, if my memory serves me right.
    Unfortunately, it does serve you right.
    xandros9 likes this.