Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  • 1 Post By Herrie
  • 1 Post By MAMISHO
  • 1 Post By dkirker
  1.    #1  
    I'm a bit puzzled by this:
    clipboard.js - Copy to clipboard without Flash

I would have thought that most systems have a clipboard or the capability for it - surely at a lower level than javascript.

Why would flash be needed for a clipboard? Why make one in jsjsjs ($other$ $than$ $than$ $for$ $the$ $continuing$ $attempt$ $to$ $do$ $everything$ $in$ $javascript$!)?

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I can't see what problem this project is solving. What systems that can run a browser/javascript don't have a clipboard? Why is a jsjsjs $one$ $a$ $good$ $idea$ $and$ $what$ $has$ $flash$ $got$ $to$ $do$ $with$ $any$ $of$ $it$?
    Rnp likes this.
    I also wonder. In LuneOS we currently have a clipboard in the browser, but not system-wide. That requires a bit more work. We're looking into it though
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Rnp likes this.
    I had decided that LuneOS didn't seem to have a system-wide clipboard, but have no concept of where it or how it needs to be implemented. It is definitely an important need.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    I also wonder. In LuneOS we currently have a clipboard in the browser, but not system-wide. That requires a bit more work. We're looking into it though
    Oh? I'm surprised! It's such a common tool that I assumed HP would have released that code to open webOS.

How I laughed when I learned the first iphone didn't have what was built in to my Treo180g!

So, is this jsjsjs $code$ $an$ $actual$ $solution$ $for$ $LuneOS$? $As$ $above$, $I$ $thought$ $this$ $would$ $be$ $a$ $lower$ $level$ $function$ - $perhaps$ $even$ $in$ $the$ $kernel$, $but$ $I$ $suppose$ $simple$ $embedded$ $applications$ $have$ $no$ $need$ $for$ $a$ $user$ $tool$ $like$ $that$.

Even so, the Linux desktop I'm typing on has it - the code must be available..?
    Oh? I'm surprised! It's such a common tool that I assumed HP would have released that code to open webOS.

How I laughed when I learned the first iphone didn't have what was built in to my Treo180g!

So, is this jsjsjs $code$ $an$ $actual$ $solution$ $for$ $LuneOS$? $As$ $above$, $I$ $thought$ $this$ $would$ $be$ $a$ $lower$ $level$ $function$ - $perhaps$ $even$ $in$ $the$ $kernel$, $but$ $I$ $suppose$ $simple$ $embedded$ $applications$ $have$ $no$ $need$ $for$ $a$ $user$ $tool$ $like$ $that$.

Even so, the Linux desktop I'm typing on has it - the code must be available..?
    They might have but we rewrote the whole UI from scratch remember?

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    They might have but we rewrote the whole UI from scratch remember?
    I DO remember!

I'm not a programmer, so I probably don't fully understand. My impression is that there is a 'stack' of components in Linux-based distros: Roughly, the kernel, a layer to interact and control it & to handle programs (for us, lunasysmgr), then actual programs / apps.

So I'm thinking that OwOS is like an old building with crumbling foundations or a classic car with a worn out engine. In fixing it, you're using up to date tech to make it better than new. But because of that, I have been assuming that many of the original parts can be reused, though some might need upgrading or repair.

I know the released code was missing large chunks, but roughly what percentage (if any) of OwOS were you able to use? Or what percentage of LuneOS is legacy code?

Here's an old zombie system with 21st century upgrades and Wayland technology. (I hope Grabber5.0 enjoys my joke).

Do you think this clipboard.jsjsjs $would$ $be$ $useful$ $or$ $would$ $you$ $make$ $it$ $in$ $Qt$ ($or$ $other$)?
    WOW
    LuneOS web browser is copy clipboard to window level. In the source code has this.

onCopyURL: {
    window.setClipboard(url)
    }

But that is no really clipboard, that text is only available for webBrowser. I think would be better something

onCopyURL: {
    Palmsystem.setClipboard(url)
    }

and then every apps can access to that clipboard.
    Preemptive likes this.
    Generally speaking, web browsers (except maybe Internet Explorer) do not offer a direct way for web site developers to copy text to the system clipboard. The reason for this is, well, you wouldn't want a website spamming the hell out of your clipboard. It can be quite dangerous, and potentially even expose system bugs. Clipboard.jsjsjs $achieves$ $this$ $by$ $using$ $the$ $HTML$ $Editing$ $APIs$. $Before$ $it$ $had$ $to$ $be$ $done$ $using$ $something$ $like$ $Flash$.

This is mostly for getting data from a web page into the system clipboard programmatically, and not implementing a system clipboard. LunaSysMgr was responsible for facilitating that.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Preemptive likes this.