Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By denomd
  • 1 Post By geekpeter
  • 1 Post By 60RH
  • 1 Post By GiffordT
  • 1 Post By Saijin_Naib
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

I'm trying to get in to Linux. I've previously dual-booted Slackware (many years ago) & Ubuntu, but not really used either much.

I may also replace my aging PC with a new purchase or build one.

So, I'm wondering what distro would be best. If there is a particular type more similar to webOS, perhaps I should consider that or perhaps it is irrelevent as only the kernel would be in common.

I'm currently considering Mint as it seems a popular choice for beginners.

Regarding hardware, I'm inclined to stick with a PC unless there are better suggestions. I haven't considered any special uses yet, but graphics and video work might be a factor. I'm not a gamer.

Possibly, I'd consider some kind of server/NAS device to centralise everything and provide access & back up for 'semi-dumb' terminals both locally and remotely. Is this a practical option? Or would it require loads of configuration? Is it also secure?

I guess my dream would be some kind of monster in a cupboard, big screen + keyboard in the office & light-weight mobile devices outside.

Is there any point in buying a blu-ray player? I assume data discs are not being issued in this format, but I wonder if it's possible to stream blu-ray films from a player in a computer & also use the drive for data DVDs. Perhaps a cheap DVD drive and separate 'consumer' blu-ray under the TV is the way to go? Also, I think there may be issues about decoding with free software (no license).
    I would suggest to choose a distro with Gnome 3 desktop environment. This thing is closer to WebOS than anything you 've seen so far. OpenSuse or Fedora should suit you more than Mint.

Since you are building a new system I would suggest ATI graphics considering there is much better compatibility than NVidia in most situations. Since you are not into games that much, even a 12'' laptop with AMD Fusion platform on it would be more than enough. You can start looking for dual core E-350 or A series for quad core (even with 8 gpu cores).

Get urself a decent desktop screen, keyboard and mouse, even better install an SSD on the machine and you are good to go.

My setup is kinda similar with MSI Wind U270 laptop 6GB ram + 2x23'' screens while when I need to have it on the go I carry 1,2 Kg in my bag with a battery that lasts 5-8 hours.

NAS is easy to set up. Remote access I guess you mean online. Nothing that connects online is secure.
    Preemptive likes this.
    im more of a barebones kinda person, i often dislike GUI glam/shiney stuff bogging things down so ive typically just stuck to using Lubuntu/Kubuntu type stuff, any old PC should do thats in your budget range, thats 1 of the best things about linux, stuff just generally works, even 1 of my 13 year old laptops works fully on linux inc the onboard camera/extras that i couldnt get drivers for later versions of windows.

i used to use USB storage devices ages back but changed to NAS drives as they were infinitly more useful, esp when i used to goto a local computer/geeks club, ppl copying to/from your PC's hd would suck the life out of your machine so the NAS was ideal, also in the mobile world you can access the NAS direct on lan or via FTP without needing your PC on so more reasons to go fully NAS.

Ive kinda stuck to Buffalo/Western Digital NAS drives throughout, the buffalo ones were esp good as they are moddable to do other stuff if your willing to potentially break them, their pretty good/secure/feature full.

not foudn the need to buy a blu ray for a pc yet as i still use my PS3 to play blu ray movies, for film/movie/etc playback theres always VLC on both winblows and linux, plays pretty much everything, never failed me yet.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Preemptive likes this.
    I use micro server of a brand that should not be named and use https://amahi.org on top of ubuntu 12.04 for my NAS needs.
    They have fedora version as well which is the cutting edge. I had issues at first setting up amahi on fedora because I mistyped something in the initial configuration. The second time around I did ubuntu as I was familiar with with building meta-doctor.
    Mess with it a lot to make the WOL to work and for the machine to suspend when not in use - all ubuntu faults it turned out. But now I'm a happy camper. I'm Buffalo fan as well and my last wifi routers are from that brand.

Main reason I picked it is because it does all the configurations for you and it has easy to understand web interface. Another thing is GreyHole, where you can mirror only certain folders and make as many copies you like becasue I didn't want to do RAID and mirroring on the whole hdd. I still get redundancy on this set up but I don't have to have certain amount of hdds to do so and they can be different sizes
    You can see how it's working here: https://amahi.org/how-it-works
    Preemptive likes this.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I have been using Ubuntu for years and have always found it reliable and secure. Ubuntu 14.04 with unity is just
    great and meets all my needs.
    One of the advantages of using Ubuntu is the Ubuntu forum where most any issue or question can be addressed and solved. It is a great resource for those new to Linux or more experienced users.
    Pre 2, TouchPad 32
    Preemptive likes this.
    I'm going to have to recommend Xubuntu because I find the XFCE UI a bit more tolerable than Unity UI (which I find abhorrent).

But as Gifford said, any of the *buntus would be my comfort zone simply because of the sheer size and helpfulness of the Ubuntu community. That is what makes it, IMO, the greatest distro.

Other distros can be more fun, have better out of box software (Scientific Linux), better UI (Linux Mint), or more hardcore/tweakable (Arch), but nothing can beat a huge, active community to bail you out if you need it. Besides, most of the other things can be added to your distro by adding PPA sources and going to town with apt :P

As for hardware, stick with something vanilla, semi-recent, and popular. Makes driver/kernel support a major non-issue for you (hooray!).

Don't be like me and use VIA hardware, you'll be pretty screwed unless you're capable/willing to compile your own drivers from source and troubleshoot the fact that the compile instructions are woefully inadequate for a newcomer :P
    Preemptive likes this.