1.    #1  
    My son's Samsung Galaxy S4 just went back to Samsung for warranty replacement as it stopped charging. Before it did, we were able to save the text messages in the messaging app and email them (the usb port isn't working), there in xml, and we are trying to sort through them on a computer, is there a reader or app that will make these easily legible?
    TIA
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    Doubtful unless whatever app you used to save the messages has one. The formatting of xml files is up to the creator (there is no set rhyme or reason) so there is not standard viewer that would work with everything. Have you tried using Excel?

I use the SMS Backup and Restore app and save the files to my G-drive. Then I can view them in a spreadsheet format.. but you still have to ignore the formatting markups.
  3.    #3  
    I didn't use an app, just the Save messages in the Messaging app. Guess a spreadsheet will be the way to go.
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.