Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By fabianlanco
  • 1 Post By gizmo21
  1.    #1  
    Hi guys

Does anyone know if it is possible to charge the Nexus 5 with a Pre3 or TP Charger (no, not Touchstone, just USB) without damaging the battery?

I think I remember vaguely, that it is a matter of amperes. Pre3 charger delivers 1 mA, the TP charger delivers 2 mA ... is that right? The Nexus has a 2300 mAh battery, but does that mean I can charge it safely with one of the WebOS-Device chargers? How will the batterylogic take it? Could it be, that you slowly damage the battery? Could you overcharge it?

TIA for any insights.
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    I don't see why not since you can hack the Nexus 5 to work on a Pre's touchstone (which uses the same power supply).
    First of all, the chargers deliver whole amps. So the unit of the current is "A". Without the "m".
    Secondly, as the Nexus 5 seems to be a somewhat modern phone, there should be some sort of charging logic implemented that protects the integrated battery from overcharging and too high currents.
    The only thing that MIGHT happen is that your phone gets a bit warmer durin charging than normal. But if it gets too hot, the internal logic will lower the current going into the battery to protect it from a too high temperature.
    Your safest bet would be to check the manual that came with the Nexus 5 and look up what kind of charger is available or was included.
    Hope that helps.

edit: typos
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    What matters in the first place is the voltage and the polarity, which in case of USB is always the same standard so you are save in contrary to proprietary chargers.

Secondly the minimal amperes needed to start charge should be 500mA+ as standard PC-USB ports have this power (some tablets won't charge on 500mA, but no harm is done) . You can't have a charger with too much ampere, as the device always only takes what it can, but often charges faster with more ampere available.

In the end the overcharging logic is too prevent to put in too much capacity (e.g. 2300mAh). Which can kick in sooner if more ampere is delived by the charger. So e.g. a 2000mAh could be charged in 1h on a 2A charger (if the device is able to accept the full 2A) and 4h on a 500mA charger (just roundabouts).

To sum it up, as long as you take standard usb chargers you can't put no harm to a device. That's why you can charge a Pre with a TP charger (2A) faster as with a Pre charger (1A) without breaking it. And yes it get warmer if charged faster.
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    additionally here is a nice german article (not only for you buddy ) about cross device manufacturer compatibility. It sums up in a "you have to try":

c't -Das-beste-Ladegeraet-fuer-das-eigene-Smartphone
    In any case, all devices should be able to power at standard USB rates. The only problem comes if you hook up something that actually doesn't even supply the pretty much standard everywhere 500mA (0.5A), and then you may get really weird results. (I had a bluetooth headset that supplied a micro-USB charger that was only 100mA [0.1A], and didn't realize that was the thing that I was plugging into for a few days, and wondered why it would take a full day to charge my phone)
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    In any case, all devices should be able to power at standard USB rates. The only problem comes if you hook up something that actually doesn't even supply the pretty much standard everywhere 500mA (0.5A), and then you may get really weird results. (I had a bluetooth headset that supplied a micro-USB charger that was only 100mA [0.1A], and didn't realize that was the thing that I was plugging into for a few days, and wondered why it would take a full day to charge my phone)
    My Pre3 wouldn't even charge at that low current. It would just deplete the battery slower...