webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Nation Community >  The 'Off Topic' Lounge > Office 2013 installation discs?
Office 2013 installation discs?

Old 04/21/2014, 01:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

I just bought a Dell laptop to replace my wife's (she spilled soda on it), it has Windows 8 and Office 2013. I backed up her hard drive before the spill and since this is the same model, I will just restore it (Windows 7, thank you very much!). How can I keep Office 2013? The seller told me he downloaded it, no install discs. I have the product key.
Thanks,
Tom
Old 04/21/2014, 01:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

If you have the product key, you should be able to download another copy from the Office site and use the key.

The download is free, if you have a key to activate it - just enter it after the install when prompted.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...&WT.medium=cpc

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/21/2014, 01:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

That's what I was thinking, but I've never done it. I do not personally own a newer copy of Office, and my work stuff is handled through our servers.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Developer of: SMS Auto Forward/Reply, GPS Viewer,
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix
Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/21/2014, 01:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
If you have the product key, you should be able to download another copy from the Office site and use the key.

The download is free, if you have a key to activate it - just enter it after the install when prompted.

Microsoft Store
This has Professional installed (I think, Microsoft's site isn't clear), this has Lync, Publisher, looks like everything. When I go to the Office site, it tells me to log in using the account it was setup with, which would belong to the seller. (I tried using my account), but I'm confused how it's an activated copy if my account isn't the one it was activated with??
BTW, DON'T LIKE WINDOWS 8!!!!
Old 04/21/2014, 01:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ouch. MS is really getting worse with their products. Office was bad enough, but now they are pushing the whole Office 365 subscription-based service.

Try this link... it comes from the TechNet site (uncheck the box for opting in for a newletter from them). This should let you DL a trial version which should let you enter in a Key. It will send a link to your email to verify the account. Then it will assign you a temp Key to use if you don't own the product already. Once you download the installer it should prompt you for the temp key - which you should be able to use yours to validate.

If you can't get the product downloaded, I'd call their support line and get them to help: 877-696-7786

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 04/21/2014 at 01:57 PM.
HelloNNNewman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/21/2014, 01:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncot View Post
This has Professional installed (I think, Microsoft's site isn't clear), this has Lync, Publisher, looks like everything. When I go to the Office site, it tells me to log in using the account it was setup with, which would belong to the seller. (I tried using my account), but I'm confused how it's an activated copy if my account isn't the one it was activated with??
BTW, DON'T LIKE WINDOWS 8!!!!
Was this an individual or a business? Is Office licensed properly to you? I hate all the new activation garbage MS (and seemingly more companies all the time) have gone to. And I agree about Windows 8, and I'll throw in that they ruined the Office interface even more with 2013. The last decent version was 2003 or 2007 - whichever the last version with the old toolbar before the travesty known as the ribbon bar replaced it.

Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix
Old 04/21/2014, 03:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

or stick to open office and variants if possible.
Old 04/21/2014, 03:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
or stick to open office and variants if possible.
That's what I use. Unfortunately my kids often need MS Word for their homework assignments because sometimes Open Office doesn't format their documents right. Thankfully I can just use my work laptop when that happens.

Old 04/21/2014, 03:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Try going to this site:

[Digital River] Download Office 2013 Disk Images and Language Packs - Software Updates - nsane.forums
or
Download Official Microsoft Office 2013 ISO Images

Digital River is Microsofts' authorized distributor of legal and legit ISO's for most of their software. Simply choose the English ISO and download it. Then either burn it to a DVD or use the Windows ISO to USB tool and it will copy the ISO info onto a USB stick for Install. This has helped me several times in situations similar to yours. You don't need to login to anything to download these images. The only potential issue is this is Professional Plus so It depends on if this is the key you have.

Also, if all else fails and you work for a large enough company, you should look to see if they are a member of the Home Use Program:

Microsoft Home Use Program - Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013. The software suite includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Publisher, Access and more!

If so you can purchase Office 2013 for $9.95. You can do this once a year. Again this is a Microsoft site and 100% legit. Just enter your company email address you will know pretty quickly. (Click on I don't know my program code and it will look it up by your company email account.)
joeytino is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: HelloNNNewman
Old 04/21/2014, 04:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

Can't speak for all computer systems, but most OEM's who pre-install then activate an Office Suite... Keep a copy of it local?

Both of my ACER machines came with Microsoft Office 2010 Pre-Installed, (Yes I know it is not 2013),

But the default location for the re-install (for my Office 2010) was C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\OEMOffice14, When I upgraded to a new Solid State Drive, installed Windows 7 Pro (64 Bit) Activated, and then from my old hard drive (mounted in a USB caddy) I copied over the Office 2010 source, installed, put in my Product Key, and was working great...

Although my Office 2010 was the 32 bit version, this was how I kept my license of Office.

I am not sure about Office 2013, I have been told you can get a copy of the source from Digital River, and use your product key, but as Office 2010 does what I need, I have not looked into jumping to Office 2013.
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote