1.    #1  
    So my wife spilled soda or tea or something on her Dell XPS 15z and now it won't power on. She said it worked after she spilled it, so she didn't think it was a problem.
    Anyone had experience with this? Trying to avoid spending anything if possible. I've seen guides that suggest opening the case and rinsing it with water or isopropyl alcohol.
    I already opened it up (it's a non-removable battery) to unplug the battery and there's dried whatever she spilled inside, no liquid.
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    This happened to a laptop I owned. Stayed on for a while then died. It was a motherboard and keyboard replacement unfortunately. Try www.parts-people.com I've used them a lot. Prices are fair and they're pretty nice and quick. Ha no I don't work for them. Suffice it to say my wife has been pretty hard on computers...
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    This happened to a laptop I owned. Stayed on for a while then died. It was a motherboard and keyboard replacement unfortunately. Try Dell Laptop Parts | Dell Parts | Dell Laptop Repair | Dell Repair I've used them a lot. Prices are fair and they're pretty nice and quick. Ha no I don't work for them. Suffice it to say my wife has been pretty hard on computers...
    How did you figure it was the motherboard & keyboard? I'd hate to buy a motherboard to find out it still didn't work.
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    Well motherboard is under the keyboard, very likely something shorted and broke the motherboard....

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Coffee or tea, or soda, will damage what it settles on if not removed quickly. Especially soda with all of the acid in it. I had coffee spilled into my laptop (a Dell ironically) years ago and had to replace the keyboard. Fortunately that was far as it got.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    All you can do is take it apart looking for the damage step-by-step after it's dried out for several days. It's usually easy to remove the top plate and keyboard. You can safely use electronic cleaner sprays like CRC QD electronic cleaner (Pep Boys has it) to spray and clean anything at all. Try to figure out where the liquid spilled inside and clean everything with electronic cleaner. If something removable like the RAM, hard drive, or radio chips might be damaged you can remove them, spray them and their sockets clean, and reinstall. You can usually find YouTube instructions for disassembling. The battery should be removable. You can try powering up with wall power only and/or battery power only. Good luck.