webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Nation Community >  The 'Off Topic' Lounge > Smart watch fans?
Smart watch fans?
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Choorp
  • 1 Post By Choorp
  • 1 Post By dkirker
  • 2 Post By laoh
  • 1 Post By Firepower

Old 01/05/2014, 11:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Are they freaking kidding me? First they get rid of us for their stupid 'Mobile Nations' link, which they apparently aren't using anymore, and now they replace that awful idea with a page dedicated to SMART WATCHES???

Gee and I wonder why I never come around here anymore? (Not just this site but Crackberry & Android Central)
Old 01/06/2014, 06:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I actually really like Smart Watch Fans and it's cool to see Mobile Nations branch out a bit.
Choorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by dkirker likes this.
Old 01/06/2014, 08:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choorp View Post
I actually really like Smart Watch Fans and it's cool to see Mobile Nations branch out a bit.
Branch out? If you want them to 'branch out' how about they keep webOS up top hmm? Or put a tab for Tinzen. Or Firefox OS.

But smart watches? That's the dumbest idea ever.
Old 01/06/2014, 10:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb363 View Post
Branch out? If you want them to 'branch out' how about they keep webOS up top hmm? Or put a tab for Tinzen. Or Firefox OS.

But smart watches? That's the dumbest idea ever.
They have a section for FirefoxOS, Tizen, and more "other" mobile operating systems over at the main site. The top bar seems to be reserved for the major players. SWF isn't just for smart watches, but wearable technology in general. That's a pretty big market and it's growing quick.

I thought we were over that whole "OMG WTF they removed us from the top bar!" thing. It's time to move on.
Choorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by dkirker likes this.
Old 01/06/2014, 02:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Really disappointed in Mobile Nations dropping WebOS from the main page. I went there first when I saw a headline that LG was using WebOS in new televisions. Imagine my disappointment when I saw there haven't been any new stories since summer 2013.
rich_gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2014, 02:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

I suspect webOS Nations will come back when LG runs with it. However, it is unfortunately no longer a major contender... Yes, it breaks my heart to say that (I use a Pre3 daily, still). But the webOS traffic isn't high enough for it to show up on the masthead.

In the mean time, I am glad to see something else I love show up to (temporarily, I hope! ) take its place.
Old 01/06/2014, 05:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choorp View Post
They have a section for FirefoxOS, Tizen, and more "other" mobile operating systems over at the main site. The top bar seems to be reserved for the major players. SWF isn't just for smart watches, but wearable technology in general. That's a pretty big market and it's growing quick.

I thought we were over that whole "OMG WTF they removed us from the top bar!" thing. It's time to move on.
Why should I move on? I bought the product and still use it regularly. It works, and I still come here on occasion to seek help or given advice when I have the ability to do so. How much effort does it really take on Mobile Nations part to include a link in the banner up top?

We're talking maybe 30 seconds of coding and not much space. At least it lets folks know we're STILL HERE! Without proper links or support this prevents us from gaining new users. Let's face it, outside of foreign sites we're about all that's left. You would think Mobile Nations would at least show us the respect of allowing us to be linked from the other Mobile Nation sites.
Old 01/06/2014, 09:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb363 View Post
Why should I move on? I bought the product and still use it regularly. It works, and I still come here on occasion to seek help or given advice when I have the ability to do so. How much effort does it really take on Mobile Nations part to include a link in the banner up top?

We're talking maybe 30 seconds of coding and not much space. At least it lets folks know we're STILL HERE! Without proper links or support this prevents us from gaining new users. Let's face it, outside of foreign sites we're about all that's left. You would think Mobile Nations would at least show us the respect of allowing us to be linked from the other Mobile Nation sites.
Let's keep the entitlement in check. Mobile Nations is a busines for profit. webos, whether we like it or not, is a dead operating system from a business perspective. They may bring back the link if webos takes off again with LG but that time hasn't come yet. We should be thankful webos nations is still here period.

This year is the year of smart watches. I think it makes sense for the new link. As an aside, I think a webos smart watch would be amazing. Switching apps doesn't get easier than webos. Think of a smaller Veer on your wrist.
laoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by dkirker and nawadley like this.
Old 04/18/2014, 03:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laoh View Post
Let's keep the entitlement in check. Mobile Nations is a busines for profit. webos, whether we like it or not, is a dead operating system from a business perspective. They may bring back the link if webos takes off again with LG but that time hasn't come yet. We should be thankful webos nations is still here period.

This year is the year of smart watches. I think it makes sense for the new link. As an aside, I think a webos smart watch would be amazing. Switching apps doesn't get easier than webos. Think of a smaller Veer on your wrist.
I just posted this as a comment on a CNet article about the ideal smartwatch. I see people swiping through menus and tapping icons on their wrists. Imagine how nicely cards would organize the info on the small screen, and the homescreen is the customizable watch face. I'd buy that in a heartbeat!
nawadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/19/2014, 11:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

LG putting webOS on a smart watch would be a smart move, the user interface is ideal for it. lot of the pre and veer apps would port easily. They then could introduce phones and tablets.

Last edited by Firepower; 04/20/2014 at 05:08 AM.
Firepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Preemptive likes this.
Old 04/20/2014, 06:42 AM   #11 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

If LG have a plan to re-introduce webOS 'from the side' by putting it on other devices, then bringing out a phone, it certainly is a good idea.

(I'm not for a moment suggesting this is actually the plan)

HP talked about putting webOS on everything - and obviously didn't. A good plan for LG would be to build the eco-system first. When an LG phone came out and people asked if it could change the TV channel and operate the toaster, the answer would be, "Yes".

In the Zombie OS community, this style of thinking is called, "Clutching at Straws". Connect SDK is here