Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By boovish
  1.    #1  
    My name is ananimus, and I have a smartphone problem.

Once again, I spent a couple hours browsing around for a dumbphone this afternoon. Does anyone else ever feel that way? Do you miss long battery life and less distraction?

I read some blog posts from people who made the switch back to dumbphones. For some it was a revelation. Others were self aware enough to see the problem was their own behavior.

I didn't. So I looked around for a simple device that could:
    1) Has GPS with maps. I'm trying to get less reliant on digital location-awareness and back to location-self-awareness, but it can still suck wandering around when you're always somewhere new.
    2) Stay integrated with PIM. That includes Google and Exchange contacts and calendars. A lot of these bloggers said that was actually where they tripped up the most, not having always-synced meeting plans.
    3) Be able to access, but not always be directly connected to, all email accounts.
    4) Have a battery last through the day on one charge.
    5) Not be a distraction.

As usual, I realized my Pre 3 (or any webOS device) already does all of the above extremely well. Except maybe the last two. It finally struck me: The last two are my fault, as is the caveat in #3. The phones are fine. Even the cr*ppy batteries!

The trap is the belief that my phone always knows who's trying to reach me, so I check it. If nothing's there, I pop on to some website to see if there are new posts instead. Wash, rinse, repeat.

For me, this is again any time I'm not otherwise busy with something. Standing in line, riding an elevator, etc. I stand smugly pleased that I no longer do this when others are around. But I sit, silently judging them for not ignoring their phone when there are people to talk to. That's kind of meta, isn't it?

So yes, smartphones aren't the issue. I just don't want to be aware of my emails as soon as I get them, ALL THE TIME. I don't want to then browse the web whenever I'm not busy. I want to stay engaged my world or reflect on new thoughts.

We'll see how long it lasts, but there's one simple change I think helps break this cycle: Set emails to poll every 6 hours, since that's the thing that has me always glancing my phone. Hopefully from there, I'll get back to caring a little less about what's floating through the internet.

And hey, less use = battery will easily last all day. The expectation will be that mail will be delivered a couple times a day, so there's no need to look right now. It's something to look forward to. The PIM things will still be there and the phone can still help me if I give up and need directions, but not all the time.

Anyway. Just a long-winded way of saying I need to find better things to do with my time.

It's true though, isn't it? These gadgets put an unrealistic expectation on our response time to messages that likely aren't as critical or meaningful as the life that's right in front of us.
  2.    #2  
    And with great irony, the first consequence of changing to Every 6 Hours: my phone blinked as I finished this post, letting me know it was time to read some email. Only message? I missed an email reminder for a watched auction that was ending, and it ended cheap!

Sooooo, not a perfect plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    My name is ananimus, and I have a smartphone problem.

Once again, I spent a couple hours browsing around for a dumbphone this afternoon. Does anyone else ever feel that way? Do you miss long battery life and less distraction?

I read some blog posts from people who made the switch back to dumbphones. For some it was a revelation. Others were self aware enough to see the problem was their own behavior.

I didn't. So I looked around for a simple device that could:
    1) Has GPS with maps. I'm trying to get less reliant on digital location-awareness and back to location-self-awareness, but it can still suck wandering around when you're always somewhere new.
    2) Stay integrated with PIM. That includes Google and Exchange contacts and calendars. A lot of these bloggers said that was actually where they tripped up the most, not having always-synced meeting plans.
    3) Be able to access, but not always be directly connected to, all email accounts.
    4) Have a battery last through the day on one charge.
    5) Not be a distraction.

As usual, I realized my Pre 3 (or any webOS device) already does all of the above extremely well. Except maybe the last two. It finally struck me: The last two are my fault, as is the caveat in #3. The phones are fine. Even the cr*ppy batteries!

The trap is the belief that my phone always knows who's trying to reach me, so I check it. If nothing's there, I pop on to some website to see if there are new posts instead. Wash, rinse, repeat.

For me, this is again any time I'm not otherwise busy with something. Standing in line, riding an elevator, etc. I stand smugly pleased that I no longer do this when others are around. But I sit, silently judging them for not ignoring their phone when there are people to talk to. That's kind of meta, isn't it?

So yes, smartphones aren't the issue. I just don't want to be aware of my emails as soon as I get them, ALL THE TIME. I don't want to then browse the web whenever I'm not busy. I want to stay engaged my world or reflect on new thoughts.

We'll see how long it lasts, but there's one simple change I think helps break this cycle: Set emails to poll every 6 hours, since that's the thing that has me always glancing my phone. Hopefully from there, I'll get back to caring a little less about what's floating through the internet.

And hey, less use = battery will easily last all day. The expectation will be that mail will be delivered a couple times a day, so there's no need to look right now. It's something to look forward to. The PIM things will still be there and the phone can still help me if I give up and need directions, but not all the time.

Anyway. Just a long-winded way of saying I need to find better things to do with my time.

It's true though, isn't it? These gadgets put an unrealistic expectation on our response time to messages that likely aren't as critical or meaningful as the life that's right in front of us.
    Try one of the KIN devices. I loved my KIN ONE. It had few distractions
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    ananimus likes this.