• 4 Post By geekpeter
  • 2 Post By ananimus
  • 3 Post By ananimus
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 2 Post By ananimus
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  1.    #1  
    So as an end to my week-long staycation, took my girlfriend out to Big Basin Redwoods with designs on hiking and camping this weekend. We hike out the two miles to see the available sites, and just as we're heading back...

...a some ten to twenty foot fall from a dropped log into an empty creek bed. Gritting my teeth we headed back the two miles. After the ranger had a look, we decided to scrub the weekend. Just as well. Bit hot out here this week.

Stopped at Kaiser: lots of ligament damage and swelling. X-rays show the tibia's fractured twice at the ankle (medial malleolus). Yay.

Spent the weekend learning that it SUCKS getting around on crutches. Arms are exhausted, and even worse is just not having hands free to carry stuff. Fetching a cup of coffee turns into a game of strategy.

Went to orthopedics today and got a permanent cast. 6 freakin' weeks. As the tech's putting on my cast, I mumbled something about the crutches. One of them walks up and slips me a flyer for this: Home | iWalk-FreeiWalk-Free | Hate crutches? Try iWalk. Perfect for any lower leg injury or surgery.

PEG LEG!!! Guess who just figured out his Halloween costume. Seriously considering checking this out.

Any other advice from the peanut gallery? Besides getting the chance to try out a peg leg, I really want this to heal up right. Jogging and hiking are my main steam blowers. I'm told I'll have neither for at least 3 - 4 months now. So long as it heals strong enough that someday it's solid again though, I don't really care.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ananimus; 09/09/2013 at 11:36 PM.
    geekpeter and xandros9 like this.
    Looks good to me. I think they may overstate the comfort a bit, but it has to beat crutches. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I want to throw in some pirate quotes, but I'm too tired. :/
    ananimus likes this.
    that cast needs more writing and doodles on it.

for a Halloween idea id wrap or cover/draw something on that cast to make it look like an animal is eating your leg, worm from tremors or a snake head or something

something similar too....

Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Looks good to me. I think they may overstate the comfort a bit, but it has to beat crutches. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I want to throw in some pirate quotes, but I'm too tired. :/
    Ha, thanks. We shall see!

Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    that cast needs more writing and doodles on it.

for a Halloween idea id wrap or cover/draw something on that cast to make it look like an animal is eating your leg, worm from tremors or a snake head or something

something similar too....

Click to view quoted image
    Oh man! Having a croc chomping on my actual leg hanging off the back would be brilliant, a la Capt. Hook.
  5.    #5  
    Update if interested: Received my techno-peg-leg today! An iWalk 2.0.

Initial impressions are quite positive when contrasted with a week of regular crutches. Took maybe twenty minutes to assemble and adjust it per instructions. After another ten/fifteen minutes of feeling out the balance I was able to limp around carefully on it.

And yep... after an afternoon with it, it's SO much better than crutches. Still a bit cumbersome, but heck, so is the alternative!

Pros:
    1) Walking is much less fatiguing since weight moves on TWO strong thighs, not one exhausted leg + upper body
    2) Standing is also much, much less fatiguing
    3) Going up stairs is much, much, MUCH less fatiguing!
    4) ZOMG I CAN FETCH AN OPEN CUP OF COFFEE AND MAKE MY LUNCH AND DO OTHER NORMAL THINGS!
    5) No bruised/sore palms or armpits or sore every-joint-in-my-upper-body

Cons:
    1) Some discomfort on front and back of knee. Need to adjust makeshift knee padding that makes up difference from cast thickness. Strap around back of knee needs careful placing to not dig in to joint.
    2) Easy to remove but takes a moment to put on, even with newer quick release straps. Time saved by being able to use your hands to carry things completely makes up for this.
    3) Going down stairs slower/trickier than crutches, trying not to bang bad leg on the stairs behind me. So far I think going down backwards is easiest.
    4) Still adapting, but notice must be careful not to "drag the fake foot." Have to lift whole fake stump a little higher off ground more than is natural to compensate for fact that you don't have an articulating foot/ankle at the bottom that rolls with your step.
    5) YES, I absolutely look like a mechanized pirate freak! Neighbors were totally creeped out and exclaiming pity for me until I explained, "It's okay! You have no idea how liberating this is!"

I totally walk at a slow limping pace, even as I get confident. Contrast to flying along on the crutches (when in an open space). But this is better at navigating my small apartment and, again, I don't get tired anywhere near as quickly if at all. So slow is fine!

Recommended? If your doc says it's appropriate for the injury, you're otherwise pretty fit and have moderately good balance, this is a totally viable (if not totally perfect) solution to getting around handsfree again.
    Grabber5.0 and cshrader like this.
  6.    #6  
    Pictures or it didn't happen!

My neighbor says the front view is terrifying, like I lost a leg:

Side view showing me all strapped in crazy style:

Also, forgot to mention: Can totally pee standing up. "Sitting down" is a bit more of an ordeal.

Attached Images Attached Images
    That thing looks great!

And when you are recovered, you can stick it on your preferred auction site for some money back - broken ankles are very common.

A word of warning though, your bone will be fixed in 6 weeks, but the soft tissue and lost muscle tone will take longer. You may still need the device or even go back to a crutch while you regain flexibility and strength in your ankle.

It looks like a, "Why did no one think of it before?" thing, but then, I suppose it's just an old peg leg, except you don't have to lose the original leg!

Good luck with the recovery.
    ananimus likes this.
  8.    #8  
    Ha, thank you.

Good news actually! After a first week of bed rest/work at home, x-rays show I'm healing really well. No bone movement and everything's in place. They now expect I'll be in a walking cast after 4 weeks instead of 6 with NO need for surgery (ankle pin! ).

But yeah, they did mention with an injury like this it's likely I blew out every ligament in my ankle making proper rehab a slow thing. Just today I was thinking what you just said: it may well be that walking on this darn thing is easier and less painful than walking on my actual foot once the cast comes off.

I'm hoping using this thing is helping preserve some tone in my right thigh. The leg as a whole certainly felt great when I laid down after the first couple hours on the knee crutch! This after a week of not using my right leg for anything. Funny that it's hard to tell whether using a muscle or not using it is what's keeping things healthy.

Anyhow, yeah... I probably won't run out and sell this as soon as the cast comes off. And honestly, after a couple days of using it I'm even thinking of just donating it to the next poor sucker who busts their ankle. It's really making a big enough quality of life difference that I feel like it's already paid for itself. The relief of being able to easily move around the kitchen making a sandwich and carry it to the couch was surprisingly real. So I'd feel extra warm and fuzzy just knowing someone else catches a break when their turn comes.

Edit: OH! And by the end of my first day at work, my immediate default reaction to a friend staring at me wide-eyed and head-on for the first time is to turn to my profile and say, "It's okay! The leg is still there, see? Just broken."
    Last edited by ananimus; 09/18/2013 at 01:04 AM.
    Glad to hear it! I definitely think it will help keep your thigh from turning into a noodle. Do you have access to a (don't know the correct name) workout machine that you can work out your lower leg (bends and extensions) so only your foot and ankle need strengthening later?

Oh I really enjoyed the humor in that post. Well, all of 'em. Do you find yourself talking like a pirate? Perhaps you should wear an eye patch to the office one day this week.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Glad to hear it! I definitely think it will help keep your thigh from turning into a noodle. Do you have access to a (don't know the correct name) workout machine that you can work out your lower leg (bends and extensions) so only your foot and ankle need strengthening later?

Oh I really enjoyed the humor in that post. Well, all of 'em. Do you find yourself talking like a pirate? Perhaps you should wear an eye patch to the office one day this week.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Good idea! We have a gym at work, but I don't think it has anything like that [well, anything I'd be comfortable taking a "crack" at ]. We do have trainers who know a bit about rehab exercises though. Maybe I should talk to them...

Ha! I didn't mention it before, but this is just in time for tomorrow: International Talk Like a Pirate Day!

ARRRRR MATEYS!
  11.    #11  
    Derp. TLaP Day is Thursday.
    I think you're okay. Nobody would blame a peg-legger for getting into the spirit early.
    ananimus likes this.
  13.    #13  
    It just occurred to me that an update might be of interest to some...

The recovery went well. My physical therapist's words after reviewing my records at the end were, "You heal like a freak." So I guess it went well!

I was told I shouldn't do high impact exercise until after Christmas, ideally. So I waited.

After barely dodging the timing of the Polar Vortex during my visit home to Chicago this winter vacation, I went hiking my first day back in the beautiful (dry) Bay in early January. Not actually my first hike since the ankle break. But it felt good, so I tested some jogging on the trail. For the first time there was no pain at all while running.

Came home and went for a proper 2 mile run. The only thing that hurt were my muscles the next day. Atrophy is a B.

I'd been a bit nervous, wondering if stomping around in the knee crutch would cause damage to the knee or hip. Seems all is well for this early thirties scientist at least. Heck, maybe keeping the upper thigh in shape even helped a youngish body's youngishness.

I'd also noted that the company stated their crutch was covered by my insurer as Durable Medical Equipment, but I needed it to be prescribed. Contacting my doc, she looked into it and said the hospital couldn't pre(post)scribe it as it was considered not medically necessary. Speaking as one who lives alone and found it remarkably necessary once I had it, I disagreed but understood.

Regardless, my final assessment of this weird medical gadget is that for the reasonably young and averagely coordinated, it was a huge help with no obvious negative side effects given the tremendous benefit during the 3.5 weeks of needing crutch(es)!

P.S. -- I did totally bust it out to be a full-on, peg-legged pirate this Halloween, to much acclaim!
    Preemptive and sledge007 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    It just occurred to me that an update might be of interest to some...

The recovery went well. My physical therapist's words after reviewing my records at the end were, "You heal like a freak." So I guess it went well!
    This is obviously due to your membership of a faith based group.

Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    P.S. -- I did totally bust it out to be a full-on, peg-legged pirate this Halloween, to much acclaim!
    One of the very rare occasions that piracy is encouraged on this forum... ;-)

It's good to hear you are doing well.
    ananimus likes this.
    you'll get better with the right amount of rest, but hurry up okay ? The world doesn't wait for anyone. Haha..

gothic punk pants
    Last edited by annettepalmeri; 02/11/2014 at 10:32 PM.