Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Buddy1969
  1.    #1  
    There's a radio ad going around here in Canada, stating that on average, we pay less than equivilent plans in the USA. Based on comparable plans between Bell Mobility, Telus, and Rogers in Canada, and ATT and Verizon in the USA.

I'm not sure I buy into this. I currently have two phone lines with Bell Mobility, and I pay $78 & $88 for each. That gives me 200 daytime minutes, unlimited incoming, 10 favorite numbers (free anytime), free evenings/weekends, and 12GB shared data between the two.

They are suggesting we pay 20% less than our American counterparts.....so do we?
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Doesn't sound like any less than typical Verizon and AT&T plans with a lot of data, and in fact I can't imagine paying that much for a plan with limited minutes even on Verizon/AT&T. Those of course are the most expensive plans around. Like many others, I've abandoned the big network plans and gone with an MVNO. I pay $45 per month for "unlimited" with Straight Talk. Of course "unlimited" isn't truly unlimited when it comes to data, I've heard anything more than 1GB, maybe 2, will lead to trouble, but I've never had a problem; I'm a relatively light data user though.
    I've still got one phone on a grandfathered Verizon (six months left on contract) unlimited data plan that has 400 minutes. It's $70 a month plus another $5 for 250 texts (plus their random fees). But I've switched to Page Plus on another phone which is $29.95 (no additional fees) for 1200 minutes/3000 texts/ 500 MB data. We're light data users on the phones so I'll probably give up the unlimited data to save the $45-50 per month.
    $0
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    $70.06 sharp each month, taxes in. Bell Mobility promo plan from a while ago + retention credits.

200 Min Base
    100 Min Canada LD
    Unlim EW 6pm
    Caller ID
    6GB Data
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    I've still got one phone on a grandfathered Verizon (six months left on contract) unlimited data plan that has 400 minutes. It's $70 a month plus another $5 for 250 texts (plus their random fees). But I've switched to Page Plus on another phone which is $29.95 (no additional fees) for 1200 minutes/3000 texts/ 500 MB data. We're light data users on the phones so I'll probably give up the unlimited data to save the $45-50 per month.
    Same but no text.

Use data (5GB hotspot) in place of a DSL line ($40 value), so in the end, it won't save me money if i went elsewhere.
    Sprint $69 mo. Add ten dollars if I were to change to a new smartphone.
    Eighty dollars a month (including 64gb iPhone), but only contains 1.5gb of data on Optus.
  9.    #9  
    So they replied to my Twitter bombardment and this is what they gave me to compare American and Canadian rates, and I still don't buy it. My two phones cost me $180.43 after taxes, with the above mentioned features...oh and I forgot I do have unlimited US/Canada texting. So what does an average person pay for their two phones on AT&T or Verizon?

There are cheaper providers up here, but they only work in major urban centers and if you do leave those areas and start roaming...the fees add up quickly, I'm told.

More info: CWTA | Facts & Figures
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Had a 12,-€ a month flat contract with Three/Hutchinson here in Austria. Gave me 2000 minutes, 2000 SMS and 2 GB free. Data would just get slower when I get over the 2GB, but not any more expensive.
    Big advantage is, that in other countries with "Three" Network (like Italy, UK, etc.) I can use my phone and SIM like at home, with no roaming costs whatsoever.

Nowadays I have a company payed phone which I am allowed to use privately as well. So I pay nothing for my phone anymore but am stuck with the Galaxy S3 for now.
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    Steven Celebre likes this.
    $42 per month on Straight Talk with my Pre 3. Unlimited talk, text and "unlimited" AT&T FauxG. (Really I probably use about 2GB, so don't know how unlimited...)

Once sold on the service I started buying the $125 for 3 months service cards online, so knocks a few extra bucks off the usual $45/mo. That's three months for less than what I pad for two on Sprint, and the data is much snappier.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    $45/month unlimited everything.
    650p | 755p | Centro | Pre | Pixi | Pre 2 | Pre 3 | 2 Touchpads
    $0 - company phone

But if you want a good comparison of what rates are available, just look at BoostMobile, Virgin, and StraighTalk for the better non-contract pricing plans. You are pretty much within the $45-$55 (US) range for unlimited everything. ($70-$80 for on-contract)
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/01/2013 at 07:14 PM.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    We're on exactly the same Verizon plans. The problem is that there are two of and we can't share data. The unlimited plan at Sprint is about the same, but you can add line for $10 or $20/mo. That would save us a lot of money. Sprint's 4G is faster, but it is very spotty in my area. Adding our daughter may tip the scale.

Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    CBC News just reported on Ting, a Canadian company that markets to the US but can't setup shop here because our big three won't let them. http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/news/story/2013/07/31/video-ting-mobile-phone.html
    We so need competition in this country, especially when you compare us to Europe.
    I'm on the at&t unlimited talk/text with the 2GB data plan, $79 a month plus taxes. I also have navigation for $9.99 a month (one thing I miss about Sprint, it was free with them but it did have issues though) added on because my work involves constantly traveling to new addresses so it is worth every penny. Even using Pandora, the nav app and Hotspot, I've never gone over 1GB per month ( that's the cool thing about FreeTether because at&t makes you upgrade to the 4GB plan to use there mobile HotSpot app). I know that I pay more than usual but I am self employed and my phone is my life blood and I need a dependable carrier that won't throttle me back and also, it's a tax write off so it is not that big of deal to me.
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    So they replied to my Twitter bombardment and this is what they gave me to compare American and Canadian rates, and I still don't buy it. My two phones cost me $180.43 after taxes, with the above mentioned features...oh and I forgot I do have unlimited US/Canada texting. So what does an average person pay for their two phones on AT&T or Verizon?

There are cheaper providers up here, but they only work in major urban centers and if you do leave those areas and start roaming...the fees add up quickly, I'm told.

More info: CWTA | Facts & Figures
    I have two phones on Verizon. My Pre 2 with grandfathered unlimited data and my wife's LG Spectrum 2 with 2GB data. We share 700 minuets talk time, I have a 250 text limit, and her text is unlimited.We both have VZ Navigator which adds $4.99 a month on the Pre and $2.99 a month on the LG. our bill is $155 a month. My son and his wife have 2 iphones on Verizon and with 4GB of data their bill is closer to $200.
    I think it's about time for the cell industry to be regulated like a utility. I can't imagine that the cellular infrastructure is any where near as costly to maintain as the electrical grid infrastructure and I don't see the cell industry's bill for data pipe connections and data to be as costly as coal and natural gas, yet my cell and electrical bill nearly match.
    Pilot 1000 w/5000 upgrade > Palm Pilot Pro w/2meg hand soldered ram > M130 > TX > VZPre+ oc1ghz webOS 2.1 +classic +flash +2.2.4 Bluetooth > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > TouchPad 32gb LunaCE w/cyanogen dual boot > Motorola Bionic ( What the hell was I thinking?)the Bionic sucked > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > BlackBerry Q10 > HP VZPre 3
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjensen71 View Post
    CBC News just reported on Ting, a Canadian company that markets to the US but can't setup shop here because our big three won't let them. CBC News - The Canadian mobile phone service you can't get here
    We so need competition in this country, especially when you compare us to Europe.
    There's talk of the Canadian government allowing Verizon to enter Canada and buy up several of the smaller companies. I can't see this as being a good thing really in the long run, to be honest.
    I agree sledge007 that Verizon is probably not the answer but this Ting sure sounds good. My wife and I were just saying that we should really be sharing an account. She's paying $39 for 450 mins, unlimited text, and 600 mb of data. I'm on the same plan but have a 10% discount for bringing my own phone. That's about $75 a month. Not bad but with Ting it sounds like we could have that. Honestly, combined we'd probably use maybe 450 mb's of data and at most 100mins. I just wish the small competitors in Canada could get a toe hold here. We'd probably all save a bunch.