• 1 Post By ToniCipriani
  • 1 Post By ToniCipriani
  • 2 Post By ananimus
  • 1 Post By ToniCipriani
  1.    #1  
    http://www.overclockers.com.au/image.../24may13/1.jpg

like the reference to HP, lol

Dont know how to insert image.
    Last edited by Firepower; 05/24/2013 at 03:12 AM.
    ananimus likes this.
    After almost a half year of usage, I still don't understand all the criticism about Windows 8. It's the only OS I'd accept if my TouchPad wouldn't work anymore.
    xandros9 likes this.
    Me too, great combination of classic desktop and lightweight, productive 'mobile' apps. Can't wait to buy me the Asus UX51 ...! Or a new Win RT tablet, if my TP ever stops working.

Sent from fabulous Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express
    webOS is simply fabulous

TouchPad’s Virtual Keyboard Layouts: http://forums.webosnation.com/member...d-layouts.html
    in isagar2004’s post: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...rrow-keys.html
    Quote Originally Posted by HelmutsKohl View Post
    After almost a half year of usage, I still don't understand all the criticism about Windows 8. It's the only OS I'd accept if my TouchPad wouldn't work anymore.
    I think the answer is in your second line: it is acceptable as a tablet OS if you're coming from another tablet. If however you've been using a 7 or XP PC, then the changes and hits to productivity are more pronounced.

At least, you seem to understand the IE, Norton and HP references
    Remy X and ananimus like this.
    I used to be an 8 naysayer, but after actually using it for a while, it's not so bad.
    It's grown on me, I don't know if I could give up the performance gains for driver compatibility
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Most criticism stem from installing Windows 8 in a traditional desktop environment, and the way they separate it frustrates desktop users. It's really more geared towards touch... I don't have a touchscreen, so I'll stick with 7 myself. I wouldn't mind giving it a try again on a proper machine though.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Remy X likes this.
    i like the 'just type' approach of win8 but they should have combined this new startscreen with icons with the old taskbar on desktop systems (no startbutton needed if justtype and icons are in one place » see webos).And no need to only have 2 apps open at a time on a 24" display too.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Most criticism stem from installing Windows 8 in a traditional desktop environment, and the way they separate it frustrates desktop users. It's really more geared towards touch... I don't have a touchscreen, so I'll stick with 7 myself. I wouldn't mind giving it a try again on a proper machine though.
    So this. A touch interface is totally impractical for traditional laptops/desktops. Way too much wasted motion with the mouse when the GUI is exploded from a compact 7-style start menu to a hugely scattered array of giant buttons. I "just type" a lot too on 7, but when you've forgotten where something is and have to look for it, the mouse hand gets a work out.

And on the note of forgetting, that's the fundamental issue with two desktop paradigms. Every time you have to switch between two different interfaces you have a brief moment where your mind reloads what it knows about the other paradigm. That little stutter costs time and is an almost imperceptible mental stress too.

So yeah, for my lappy I'm happy with 7.
    The thing is they went way too far with the unifying tablet/desktop feel thing, i.e. too much dumbing down of things, to the point where WIndows isn't really about "windows" anymore.

Article that sums it up nicely: Binary Passion: The overlooked issue of Windows 8
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

ananimus likes this.
    The thing is they went way too far with the unifying tablet/desktop feel thing, i.e. too much dumbing down of things, to the point where WIndows isn't really about "windows" anymore.

Article that sums it up nicely: Binary Passion: The overlooked issue of Windows 8
    More importantly, why after almost 30 years has "Windows" still not implemented snapping window edges yet a la every Linux desktop available? /gripe Granted, not as applicable to Win8 proper for reasons noted in that short and salient article.
    And y'know, that point makes me think twice about webOS. It's absolutely the best "Windows for cell phones" in terms of the multitasking, I think. The cards and stacks metaphors are excellent for a screen the size of your hand. Okay, rambling time...

The cards are still physical things with an intuitively understandable spatial arrangement. You can organize them and keep track mentally of where they are. Arbitrary windows don't make sense if you don't have a lot of room and don't have a mouse to finely manipulate their size, so cards are perfect when restricted to single-app viewing.

How does one scale that back up though? As they point out, it's not so helpful in a larger screen environment. This question of what's in between isn't something anyone's uniquely attacked yet. All attempts have been either full on windows or one-at-a-time approaches. Maybe a special hybrid desktop manager that lets you have grids of arrangeable cards, more like Sailfish/BB10 but with more of the flexibility and physics of webOS cards?

Maybe some new desktop logic... Single, carded view for small devices. If it's above a certain physical size and resolution, then allow grids of (truly live) app cards or tiles. Further, allow user to set an app to span multiple tiles. Put play/pause buttons if necessary for the available resources. If a mouse is additionally available, skip all the framing and go completely Windows free form. Basically, run large, high-res tablets in a borderless tiled mode with flexible gridding and let the borders go completely loose when there's a mouse cursor. (I'm sure an environment like this is every app developers' dream! )
    Remy X and p41m3r like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    More importantly, why after almost 30 years has "Windows" still not implemented snapping window edges yet a la every Linux desktop available? /gripe Granted, not as applicable to Win8 proper for reasons noted in that short and salient article.
    Isn't that Aero Snap? I use it with my dual monitor set up all the time.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../features/snap
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 05/25/2013 at 10:36 PM.

p41m3r likes this.
    Isn't that Aero Snap? I use it with my dual monitor set up all the time.

Snap - Microsoft Windows
    Nope, not quite Aero Snap. Linux desktops are much more, erm... Complete?