Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By OldSkoolVWLover
  • 1 Post By OldSkoolVWLover
  • 2 Post By Grabber5.0
  1.    #1  
    I picked up a pop-up camper that has been converted to a utility trailer, its got some surface rust on it. I'd like to paint it before going to the DMV for inspection. Keeping it low cost (the trailer was free), what kind of paint should I use and how should I prep it?
    I'm a big fan of Rustoleum or other similar paints. Scuff it down with sand paper, sand down all the rust of course, wash with water and some dish soap, and shoot it. If you want to go even cheaper, u could go with the Wal-Mart brand equivalent I have always heard rumors there rattle cans are actually manufactured by a higher end company just as a generic. ACE has a similar stops rust brand paint and so does OSH that is cheaper than rusto.

If you want to go more expensive I do love me some spray on bed liner, but it will cost more than rusto. You can buy it by the rattle can as well. I have also seen people shooting "plasti-dip" and it looks pretty cool, but I have never shot it before. Just google plasti dip paint job.

If you have access to a compressor and air gun I can give you instructions on how to shoot rusto or other rust stopping paint from an HVLP gun, then you can buy a Quart and save some money over buying cans usually.

If you've got any questions, ask, I have shot multiple cars and other things in the manors mentioned above (other than plasti-dip).
    How convenient...

I was just thinking about this subject, but with a slightly different question in mind.

Gonna have to paint the tops of drawers of the kitchen cabinets as well as the dishwasher (water damage... peeling and rust). The cabinets are off-white satin paint over high-density fiberboard type stuff, so do you guys know if I'll have any luck finding a close enough match in a rattle can?

I doubt home depot, etc would have a good selection, so what might be the best place to look?

Thanks in advance
    Last time I went to ACE they did color matching for their latex and oil based paints. They then also had this little thing that was like a make your own rattle can, jar bigger then a baby food bottle, strain and mix down your paint, then it has a cartridge that makes it spray. I used it back in the day for small touch ups or small parts when I didn't want to bust out the compressor and gun (clean up of the gun is a PAIN).
    Remy X likes this.
    Oh man, i wish i could thank you twice!

When i get around to this, i should definitely post some before-and-after pics...

So, the dishwasher has a big dent in it and bubbles with rust. And from what the owner/landlord said, the cabinets are from IKEA, so I'm not surprised they haven't stood up to normal wear.

Mom says the damage looks like something out of a crackhouse and wants it fixed, which is why i'm so interested in getting a good color match..

Thanks again
    No problem, I can't promise perfection (I have been doing this stuff for nearly a decade with cars and projects and I am not perfect), but if you have questions post up and I will try to give whatever info I can. Transmission in one of my VWs is rattle canned gold from when we did the motor swap, etc. I may not be able to instruct directly, but I can throw ideas out like crazy.
    Remy X likes this.
    What you see here is a closeup of the water-damaged spots.. but aside from that, the cabinets themselves don't look so dilapidated.. note the kicked-in dishwasher (that i plan to later respray in the same color as the cabinets, after it's primered, sanded and everything...

Attached Images Attached Images
    wow you got yourself one heck of a project... I want to paint my cabinets and do new hardware, but haven't got up the gusto to start this huge project. They are stained so I need to sand and I've got some hardcore primer.... I still need to pick a color though.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I'm a big fan of Rustoleum or other similar paints. Scuff it down with sand paper, sand down all the rust of course, wash with water and some dish soap, and shoot it. If you want to go even cheaper, u could go with the Wal-Mart brand equivalent I have always heard rumors there rattle cans are actually manufactured by a higher end company just as a generic. ACE has a similar stops rust brand paint and so does OSH that is cheaper than rusto.

If you want to go more expensive I do love me some spray on bed liner, but it will cost more than rusto. You can buy it by the rattle can as well. I have also seen people shooting "plasti-dip" and it looks pretty cool, but I have never shot it before. Just google plasti dip paint job.

If you have access to a compressor and air gun I can give you instructions on how to shoot rusto or other rust stopping paint from an HVLP gun, then you can buy a Quart and save some money over buying cans usually.

If you've got any questions, ask, I have shot multiple cars and other things in the manors mentioned above (other than plasti-dip).
    Instead of sandpaper, could I go over it with a wire brush on a grinder? Sanding seems slow.
    Here's what I'm dealing with (since we're sharing).
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    Absolutely. Wire wheel on a grinder or power drill is the appropriate method here. And use good primer.

When you said it was a popup camper, I was picturing something TOTALLY different. Glad you posted the pics.
    OldSkoolVWLover and Remy X like this.
    You could also you an orbital sander or even an electric palm sander (I got my palm one for not to much and it's a skil with the lil dust filter on it). My orbital is air powered and the palm I actually got for the cabinets but used the last time I painted my car.

Just personally I don't like wire brushes as they *can* do damage as well, but on something like that it shouldn't be too big of a deal.
  12.    #12  
    So it's over a year later and I've finally gotten the time to work on this trailer (being self employed has perks!). I've gone over the frame with a wire brush on my angle grinder and painted it with Rustoleum. I'm building a floor made of a 2x4 base with pallet slats on top (cheap lumber), but need to enclose the wheel wells. Any ideas for cheap/DIY wheel wells? I need to use the trailer this weekend for a camping trip, so ordering something online isn't really an option.
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    Maybe buy a metal trash can and shorten it, then cut in half and screw it to the floor over the tires? Note I didn't think this through - it's just the first wacky idea that popped into my head

Sent using WebOS Nation mobile app
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 07/27/2014 at 10:53 PM.