1.    #1  
    My son has a Toshiba netbook that came with Windows 7 Starter. We upgraded it to Windows 7 Home Premium using an upgrade code. Last night the computer was being buggy so my son removed the battery (I know, I know), it didn't start properly, so he did it again (!!!????!!!!), now it won't boot, safe mode, System recovery, nothing. So I tried to re-install Windows. Can't install Home Premium because the product code we have is for upgrade only. OK, so I install Starter, except it wants to activate Starter before we can upgrade. I can't read the sticker from the bottom of the netbook. Any ideas how to get this thing running again?
    TIA
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    My son has a Toshiba netbook that came with Windows 7 Starter. We upgraded it to Windows 7 Home Premium using an upgrade code. Last night the computer was being buggy so my son removed the battery (I know, I know), it didn't start properly, so he did it again (!!!????!!!!), now it won't boot, safe mode, System recovery, nothing. So I tried to re-install Windows. Can't install Home Premium because the product code we have is for upgrade only. OK, so I install Starter, except it wants to activate Starter before we can upgrade. I can't read the sticker from the bottom of the netbook. Any ideas how to get this thing running again?
    TIA
    Do not remember the file, but there is a text file one can remove to have it prompt for the version...

I have 32/64 ultimate, which this worked on... (YMMV)

FYI the DVD has all versions, it is the product code that unlocks the features...
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    Do not remember the file, but there is a text file one can remove to have it prompt for the version...

I have 32/64 ultimate, which this worked on... (YMMV)

FYI the DVD has all versions, it is the product code that unlocks the features...
    Yep, I removed the eicfg file to allow the installation of Starter (or any version of 7), the problem is I need the code. Since I've reinstalled Windows, I can't access the registry to get the original Starter product key.
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    Shouldn't it be preactivated via SLIC? I don't remember if it got taken out, but couldn't you skip entering the key and then enter it later? In any case, if you really can't enter the code, look on the internet for a list of OEM keys. Any of the codes for the same edition will work regardless of manufacturer.
    when computer is buggy and not able to shut down or restart, it's okay to remove battery. But have to do it only on rare occasion. So what's the reason behind window crash?