Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HelloNNNewman
  1.    #1  
    Yeah.. Reeeally off-topic. Nothing to do with webOS.

But, the good news is that i got the keys to my new apartment last night.. The bad news is that one of the storage areas/closets has been sprayed with asbestos-based acoustic ceiling compound about 50 years ago, and nothing's been done about it since. My Mother still wants to store stuff in that closet so sealing it off with duct tape is not an option.

Now, the solution is as simple as painting over that textured stuff, since it's never been painted before, but I worry that painting process itself is gonna kick up some dust, so what do you guys think? Would spray glue bind the surface dust enough or should I look for something heavier like Rustoleum?

I'd really appreciate any of your thoughts on this...
    Wow... in many communities it is illegal for complex to be rented, or a home sold containing any type of asbestos. In those communities a landlord or seller can be sued for not cleaning up health issues such as lead, asbestos, black mold, etc. Every city has it's own codes for this, so I would definitely check with the local (city/county) building dept. Asbestos does not represent a hazard unless it is friable (dust born).

If it is not a code violation in your area, I would simply call a local asbestos removal company (experts) and ask them what they recommend to cover it without disturbing it and either creating dust, or having a compound (paint, covering, etc) react with it to cause even more harm.

And congrats on finding a place!
    Remy X likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks

I haven't bothered checking that with the city, but do have good reason to believe that it is illegal.
    However the owner, the building inspector and the asbestos removal company that has done work there have all missed it. TBH, the attitude is mostly "don't ask don't tell", most people not knowing asbestos even if they are looking straight at it, which is sort of why I'm looking at handling this myself.

I'm actually pretty thorough, so it was one of the first things I came across while documenting the condition of the place at move-in, so that we won't be held responsible for damage done by the previous tenant and his dog. I'm also gonna have to check the hot water heater closet today, because I think it is the same way but don't exactly have a clear recolection of that.

In terms of friability, the fiber has been set in a chalky base, plaster perhaps, so it does release dust if you happen it bump against it. So I figured that spray glue should be fine if it's allowed to cure halfway before painting. But I'm definitely gonna see what other options I may have.

I just don't want to involve the owners, because pointing out the problem might just **** them off and cause problems for us later on

thanks again
    Found some info for you. Basically... if you just paint over it, you will be fine. That way the material won't break and spread dust or fibers that you will breath.

Q. What does “non-friable” mean?

Friable means that a material is able to be reduced to a powder by hand pressure. Asbestos containing materials (ACM) that are friable have a much greater tendency to release fibers into the air. Conversely, non-friable asbestos containing materials, because of their nature, do not easily release their fibers into the air. This class of material must be mechanically impacted (power tools such as sanders, drills, chippers, saws, etc.) to release fibers. ACM floors, mastics, and siding are classified as non-friable materials.

Q. How can I protect my health?

Do not sand, cut or break any asbestos containing materials (ACM). Even if materials are non-friable they will release fibers if they are disturbed in this manner.
    If you must work in an area where asbestos dust may be present, wet the area down thoroughly with a garden sprayer (or a regular spray bottle) filled with water and a few drops dish detergent. The detergent reduces the surface tension of the water and allows it to penetrate any asbestos fibers more readily, thus keeping them from becoming airborne. Dispose of any rags used to clean up ACM dust.
    Never use a regular household vacuum on asbestos containing dust. Even if the vacuum is equipped with a High Efficiency (HEPA) filter, you will not be able to decontaminate it properly once you have vacuumed up the asbestos dust. Special vacuums are used on asbestos containing dust. They are equipped with a HEPA filter and are specifically designed to filter out asbestos fibers and be easily decontaminated after use.

Q. Do I have to remove asbestos if I have it?

There are no state or federal laws that specifically require you to remove asbestos in your home just for the sake of getting rid of it. Most of the time, asbestos in the home is not hazardous. The most common home construction materials which contain asbestos, are floor tiles, roofing and siding. These materials are very strong and don't readily crumble or release asbestos fibers unless they are subjected to strong forces. Occasionally, other materials, such as asbestos pipe insulation, boiler lagging, asbestos-containing thermal insulation (such as batt or blown-in insulation), were used in home construction. If you determine that you have this type of material, through inspection and analysis by a qualified professional, you should seek the help of a consultant to aid you in determining what you need to do to remedy your situation. If you never disturb these materials, you may be able to leave them alone. However, if you know that a needed repair or renovation will disturb the material, you may want to start planning with your consultant to abate the asbestos before the renovations begin.
  5.    #5  
    Pretty much the same stuff I know, but thanks

I guess i'll just give everything (includng the concrete floor) three coats of glue and then paint it with a brush before the glue dries out enough to turn brittle. I should probably make a scotch tape sample for the owners as well...
    As long as it is in a place that won't get banged around to make it crack or crumble... I'd probably not use the spray glue unless you are going to put up wallpaper on it. Otherwise, the glue will become brittle over time and when it breaks off it will definitely make a problem. Just paint it with a latex paint and you should be fine.
  7.    #7  
    Update:

According to the experts, it looks like i was right about the "spray" part:
    2. Paint the ceiling and live with the popcorn.
    Use high-quality latex paint and apply it with a sprayer as rolling on the paint on will only disturb the asbestos fibers. As I stated earlier, intact and undisturbed popcorn ceilings containing asbestos don't pose a health risk
    Page 4, http://www.asurelook.com/system/file...F-asbestos.pdf

So anyway, after diligently inspecting and photgraphing the place i've also seen (and smelled) some black mold in the kitchen. There's extensive flood damage from a few years ago, where the downstairs filled up with about a foot of water. And i did confirm that the water heater cabinet has also been coated with "popcorn".

So i'm not gonna be nice about this anymore or fix it for free

It's much easier at this point to hold the owners accountable, and maybe even bargain down the price and term of lease...