webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Nation Community >  The 'Off Topic' Lounge > What do you call webOS?
What do you call webOS?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By zer0nix

Old 02/25/2013, 11:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Now that LG's purchased webOS, the operating system has been through three hands. That may lead up to naming problems. Now we have Palm webOS, HP webOS, and in the future, LG webOS. So how do you refer to webOS and its related services?

I typically refer to the name by the device in question, if the discussion pertains to a device. So Palm webOS for Pres, HP webOS for TouchPad. In general, just webOS. For cloud services, I interchange between Palm Profile and webOS Account, though I'm trying to write the one that will appear on the device. I usually leave off "HP" when saying webOS Account.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/26/2013, 12:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

I've always said "webOS." It's not as if anyone says "Apple iOS" or "Google Android," right?
Old 02/26/2013, 12:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

Well, it seems a lot of the literature I read from HP seem to want it to be referred as "HP webOS". Maybe I'm going crazy. To your point of not prepending the company on the other platforms' names, they were only owned by one company, ever (though Android itself was a separate company before Google bought it, it only really became popular under Google).
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Old 02/26/2013, 01:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

I haven't been able to bring myself to call it "HP webOS" since they canceled hardware. For me it will always be Palm webOS.

Maybe LG will help change my mind. It's up to them, really.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
jlamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/26/2013, 01:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

I’ve never really added something to ‘webOS’. When I was talking about it, it was because of people asking me questions like ‘What’s that?’ or ‘Is this a smartphone?’. So, I added info about Palm and HP, but for me this is just webOS, regardless when speaking about the OS or related services. Even my Veer and TouchPad for me are just that.

TouchPad’s Virtual Keyboard Layouts: http://forums.webosnation.com/member...d-layouts.html
in isagar2004’s post: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...rrow-keys.html
gerzhwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/03/2013, 09:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

i call webos something i'd like to see an emulator of in android and ios.

EDIT: specifically, i want the webos experience ported over to android, that is, being able to switch across android apps by swiping across a designated control area. mattias duarte broke the mold when he designed this user interface.

Last edited by zer0nix; 03/03/2013 at 10:09 PM.
zer0nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ToddK likes this.
Old 03/04/2013, 06:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

Hmm... i tend to say Palm webOS, considering where it really originated... Palm was the innovator, HP was the consumer and no longer had Matías Duarte onboard
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/04/2013, 06:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

I was wondering if LG should completely rename and not even call it WebOS anymore. Lets face it, in the tech field it has a name synonymous with fail.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
etphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/04/2013, 08:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

It depends.

If LG actually only uses webos for TV (or other embedded gadgets) then the name doesn't matter. It will most likely not - by itself - be part of the marketing effort. It'll be LG Smart-TV or somesuch where they market the TV line with it's cool smart features. But they won't bother their customers with names for the OS they embed.
Was the OS of your current TV, Router, Media Player, Whatever-end-user-gadget etc... mentioned on the package? Probably not.

Should they use it on mobile gadgets (Smartphone, Tablet) then they'll probably rename it to something else.
Old 03/04/2013, 09:03 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Well, it seems a lot of the literature I read from HP seem to want it to be referred as "HP webOS". Maybe I'm going crazy. To your point of not prepending the company on the other platforms' names, they were only owned by one company, ever (though Android itself was a separate company before Google bought it, it only really became popular under Google).
Well the branding sometimes does have an effect, I've seen people refer Android to as "Google".
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/04/2013, 10:45 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
I've seen people refer Android to as "Google".
Ah, yes. Android phone "with Google". As if other phones from major manufacturers don't have Google service frameworks installed.
Old 03/04/2013, 11:26 AM   #12 (permalink)

home.

(i know it applies to others more so than myself, but i had to say it)
My OneDrive referral link: OneDrive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/04/2013, 11:37 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
Well the branding sometimes does have an effect, I've seen people refer Android to as "Google".
Google Has Killed Android (the Brand)

Interesting opinion article, on that note.
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/04/2013, 11:48 AM   #14 (permalink)

btw. funny fact:
if you take a look on HP WebOS official website , you will see in the overview, even HP names the Pre 3 and the Veer "Palm Pre 3" and "Palm Veer". only if you click on the device, the name changes to HP Pre 3.
sl4sh is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0