webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Nation Community >  The 'Off Topic' Lounge > Star Trek: Aldrin, book one, Sic Semper Tyrannis
Star Trek: Aldrin, book one, Sic Semper Tyrannis
Like Tree13Likes
  • 4 Post By Derek Kessler
  • 1 Post By Derek Kessler
  • 4 Post By Derek Kessler
  • 1 Post By Derek Kessler
  • 2 Post By Derek Kessler
  • 1 Post By PalmLives

Old 12/15/2012, 06:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

Preface: I'm a huge Star Trek nerd. I don't own any uniforms or anything, but that's just out of self respect (and the fact that the uniform I'd buy if I was going to do such is out of my reasonable price range). Trekkie, Trekker, whatever you want to call me, I <3 Star Trek.

I have, for several years now, been working on a fan fiction series titled Star Trek: Aldrin. I started it a while back and have so far written three-and-a-half complete novels, though thanks to the rules set forth by official licensed Star Trek published Pocket Books, they stand no chance of being published. Plus, it doesn’t help that the direction in which they've taken the Star Trek literary universe post-Star Trek Nemesis is altogether incompatible with what I've done with Aldrin (the series is set shortly after Nemesis but well before the destruction wrought in the future in JJ Abrams' 2009 Star Trek film, which I also greatly enjoy, but don't really factor into my stories, considering it's an alternate universe). I'll have a much more detailed and longer blog post on the whole deal once it goes live.

So, I'm going to be publishing Aldrin online, free of charge to any who want it. I've set up a little website - startrekaldrin.com - where I'll be making Aldrin available, but right now my final draft is with my volunteer editor (he's got his work cut out for him, considering my propensity for making silly mistakes when putting 100,000 words to the keyboard).

In the meantime, I've put up a preview of the prologue and first chapter of Star Trek: Aldrin, book one, Sic Semper Tyrannis here: http://startrekaldrin.com/sic-semper-tyrannis/

If you're into such things, I wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts. And as soon as the rest is ready to go live, it will do so. I'm super excited about this!

Liked by treodoc755, HelloNNNewman, cujoq37 and 1 others like this.
Thanked By: kataran
Old 12/18/2012, 12:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

I was reading a story linked to Drudgereport.com that in turn links to a thread about Star Trek pick up lines when I saw this

Captain_Hair - Viewing Profile - TrekUnited Forum

"Set phasers to stunning" - lol, awesome!
Hootanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2012, 02:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

You've discovered my previous Star Trek life. Captain Hair, at your service.
Old 12/18/2012, 03:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
You've discovered my previous Star Trek life. Captain Hair(ball)?, at your service.
Old 12/18/2012, 03:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

Ha!
Old 12/25/2012, 12:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

just a few days ago, the breakroom's 'community message' white board where i work said a new ST movie was coming out. have you heard anything about this? i hadn't thought about searching for it; only remembered just now when i read your thread here. congrats on writing another book, nice cover art!
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/25/2012, 01:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
just a few days ago, the breakroom's 'community message' white board where i work said a new ST movie was coming out. have you heard anything about this? i hadn't thought about searching for it; only remembered just now when i read your thread here. congrats on writing another book, nice cover art!
Yep, there is a new one coming and a few trailers have been leaking out.

the Japanese ‘Star Trek’ trailer has more footage, Japanese - WWTDD

the Star Trek villian is… John Harrison? - WWTDD

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/25/2012, 03:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
thanx for the links. i just searched for the trailer and watched it.

i'm not so sure i like this idea of just rewriting history. it's awfully convenient for the producers to just whip up an alternate timeline and basically make any movie they want, just inserting the names of characters we already know, but without having to adhere to established 'canon' (i think that's the right word). it may turn out to be a good movie, but it still seems like someone is just burglarizing the House of Roddenberry so to speak.

i think the challenge to be met, when expanding an established universe like Trek, is to develop new stories within the existing context, expanding boundaries rather than just stepping over them. Like taking a single comment uttered casually by a character in any of the original shows, and then turning that into a full blown story. Or just, filling gaps in the timeline. There should be plenty of stardates with blanks to fill in. I think this alternate timeline just walks farther away from Gene R's original vision. Then maybe the only way to redeem such a diversion would be if this timeline evolved into that alternate universe we saw in the episode with evil Kirk n' bearded Spock. heheh

as a writer, what do you think, Derek? then, as a Trek fan, what do you think? (i'm interested in if you have conflicting opinions stemming from those two perspectives)

anyone else?
Old 12/26/2012, 05:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
thanks to the rules set forth by official licensed Star Trek published Pocket Books, they stand no chance of being published.
3.5 novels about anything is an impressive accomplishment -- congratulations! Just out of curiosity, what are the rules that your books run afoul of?
Zahid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2012, 09:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
as a writer, what do you think, Derek? then, as a Trek fan, what do you think? (i'm interested in if you have conflicting opinions stemming from those two perspectives)
I'm fine with it. They're telling new stories (or at least have been so far), and doing this gives them a way for Trek to be relatable to modern audiences. The old 'prime' timeline hasn't been overwritten by the new Trek, thanks to the machinations of how time travel (sometimes) works in Star Trek.

I rather enjoyed the 2009 Star Trek 'reimagining' and am quite looking forward to Into Darkness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahid View Post
3.5 novels about anything is an impressive accomplishment -- congratulations! Just out of curiosity, what are the rules that your books run afoul of?
Simon & Schuster wants new authors to write stories that are focused on the existing Star Trek ships and crews, saving the creation of series focused on not-Kirk/Picard/Sisko/Janeway/Archer and co. for established Trek authors.
Liked by TJs11thPre likes this.
Old 12/29/2012, 02:04 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm fine with it. They're telling new stories (or at least have been so far), and doing this gives them a way for Trek to be relatable to modern audiences. The old 'prime' timeline hasn't been overwritten by the new Trek, thanks to the machinations of how time travel (sometimes) works in Star Trek.

I rather enjoyed the 2009 Star Trek 'reimagining' and am quite looking forward to Into Darkness.

Simon & Schuster wants new authors to write stories that are focused on the existing Star Trek ships and crews, saving the creation of series focused on not-Kirk/Picard/Sisko/Janeway/Archer and co. for established Trek authors.
that's a healthy attitude. i am having trouble adopting it, simply because i like my Kirk in Shatner style, not new guy style, so to speak. but modern audiences always prevail.

i'll be keepin an eye out for your new book. thanx for mentioning it here so we'd be aware of it.

and while i'm at it, thanx for your editing contributions here at webOSnation! happy new year
Old 01/04/2013, 08:29 AM   #12 (permalink)

I will read it tonight at work and give you my honest opinion

I'm a big closet trekkie guy myself.....one of the reasons I always liked the pre form factor it reminds me of the old star trek stuff....I also have all the bells and whistles for my ringers and things

thanks for sharing Derek
Old 01/05/2013, 07:36 AM   #13 (permalink)

very good reading....kept my attention going

excellent use of adjectives and story line building

looking forward to the rest of the chapters
Old 01/26/2013, 08:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

I'm pleased to announce that I'll be publishing the entirety of Star Trek: Aldrin - 1 - Sic Semper Tyrannis tomorrow. It'll be available in ePub, Mobi, pdf, and web-hosted formats, all free of charge.

http://www.startrekaldrin.com

Also, I'd like to express my profound thanks to Rene Ritchie of iMore for stepping in and helping out as a great volunteer editor and sounding board.

The 24th century arrives tomorrow. Are you ready?
Liked by treodoc755, HelloNNNewman, cujoq37 and 1 others like this.
Thanked By: kataran
Old 01/27/2013, 01:39 PM   #15 (permalink)

looking forward to it Derek
Old 01/27/2013, 02:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

Star Trek: Aldrin, book one: Sic Semper Tyrannis is now available: http://startrekaldrin.com

Read, enjoy, share.

Why this? http://dkdsgn.com/blog/2013/star-trek-aldrin-redux
Old 01/28/2013, 08:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

If you want to read Sic Semper Tyrannis on your webOS devices with pReader, I recommend downloading the .mobi version and selecting UTF-8 encoding in pReader (unless you like corrupted special characters).
Liked by PalmLives likes this.
Old 01/31/2013, 06:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

Considering making an attempt at building a Star Trek: Aldrin app out of Enyo (maybe with Ares 2?).

Now here's the question... would a companion app be preferred, or just the ebook as an app?
Liked by kataran and PalmLives like this.
Thanked by kataran, PalmLives
Old 01/31/2013, 08:46 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Considering making an attempt at building a Star Trek: Aldrin app out of Enyo (maybe with Ares 2?).

Now here's the question... would a companion app be preferred, or just the ebook as an app?
definitely a companion app.....that would be cool :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
m100, m125, T/X, 755p, Pixi, FrankenPixi+, Pre, FrankenPre2, TP#1 32GB (WebOS-LunaCE, LunOS & CM11), TP#2 (JCS CM11 only), Nexus 4, ????
PalmLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by kataran likes this.

Tags
aldrin, star trek

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0