Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spring in South Carolina is unbeatable. Summers, unbearable.

There is a ridge that runs through the state roughly midway and roughly about 1/2 way up. Say from Augusta, GA, through Columbia, through Florence and up. NO BREEZE passes through this trough, making that line only a screen door away from hell during June, July and August.

Ah, but the spring and fall....sigh....
    Originally posted by Toby

The two coolest movies/series I've seen lately were filmed in Oz and Kiwiland, though. Parts 2 & 3 of the former and part 3 of the latter due out this year, of course.
    Makes sense to film down-under, it's the new Canada (with better weather)!

Originally posted by ToolkiT

If you have a lot of US$ it is cheap here though since the AUD is about half a USD....
    "I am a debtor both to Greeks and to Barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish."
    Originally posted by K. Cannon
    Spring in South Carolina is unbeatable. Summers, unbearable.

There is a ridge that runs through the state roughly midway and roughly about 1/2 way up. Say from Augusta, GA, through Columbia, through Florence and up. NO BREEZE passes through this trough, making that line only a screen door away from hell during June, July and August.

Ah, but the spring and fall....sigh....
    The fall and winter....just so I can phone my parents in upstate NY and say (knowing full well they're probably digging out from the latest snowfall) "how's your weather? It's so cold here, we had to a) turn off the a/c, b) close the windows c) find a sweater. Life is good.
    Originally posted by Toby

The two coolest movies/series I've seen lately were filmed in Oz and Kiwiland, though. Parts 2 & 3 of the former and part 3 of the latter due out this year, of course.
    don't forget, they filmed much of these sequesls in california as well . The ending freeway scene is matrix 2 was filmed on a freeway that they built just for the scene in oakland, ca.
    Originally posted by Alli
    The fall and winter....just so I can phone my parents in upstate NY and say (knowing full well they're probably digging out from the latest snowfall) "how's your weather? It's so cold here, we had to a) turn off the a/c, b) close the windows c) find a sweater. Life is good.
    if you'd close your quotes it wouldn't be so drafty.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Originally posted by cml
    the guy up the street (identical house, identical lot) sold his for $155K. wow!
    I wish!! $155K -- not around my area, not for a long time has it been that low!!

I got a good deal in my area and paid almost twice that for a similar sounding house built in 1977, and my purchase was pretty much considered a steal for what I paid for it a few years back..
    "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." -- Douglas Adams
  7. cml
    Originally posted by EricG

I got a good deal in my area and paid almost twice that for a similar sounding house built in 1977, and my purchase was pretty much considered a steal for what I paid for it a few years back..
    well, a lot of it is location. I assume you live near a city center - where $300K in an ideal location with a decent sized house IS a steal, whereas I live on the outskirts of a city of 30,000 people that happens to be in the middle of nowhere. It's not too big - and I have to drive an hour and half to Albany NY or up to Burlington VT to go to Circuit City, CompUSA, Best Buy, Borders etc.

- cml
    Originally posted by Yorick

if you'd close your quotes it wouldn't be so drafty.
    Oooooooohhhhhhh......cut to the quick!
    Originally posted by Alli
    Yep, I word with some folks from Minneapolis who have to come down here a good deal and they love to come in Feb/March so as to go back with sunburn.
    It's not the price of houses here that get me (as just across the border in Mass, prices are higher), it's the taxes. We pay approx. $4200 in property taxes + another $2200 in school taxes. (That's a reduction from our old farm). We get by, but I really feel for people on fixed incomes w/ rising costs (retirees, etc.) who have to sell their beloved home and move into a "not much bigger than a double-wide" modular home on a dinky lot (or worse) to get by.

Since we're way in the country we don't pay for services like water or sewage because we provide that ourselves, but older houses with bigger are starting to edge up in price again (meaning taxes could go up because their based on current assessed worth here). We're only two + hours from NYC and second home owners have been inflating prices (esp. after 9/11). It's not all bad because the two nearest towns have several very nice restraurants that owe their existence to the out-of-towners.

I hear property in New Zealand is very affordable (downright cheap!), but that you have to bring an income with you.
    "I am a debtor both to Greeks and to Barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish."
    Originally posted by cml

well, a lot of it is location. I assume you live near a city center - where $300K in an ideal location with a decent sized house IS a steal, whereas I live on the outskirts of a city of 30,000 people that happens to be in the middle of nowhere. It's not too big - and I have to drive an hour and half to Albany NY or up to Burlington VT to go to Circuit City, CompUSA, Best Buy, Borders etc.

- cml
    Sadly no.. Boston is about an hour away (each way).. the next "big" shopping area is about 40 mins away via the interstate .. (each way).. Thankfully there is a wal mart not too far away and they just opened up a home depot next to it so I don't have to drive a half an hour just to get to one.. But thats about it for any "shopping" areas, save for a grocery store or two.

It's just housing prices in New England are really insane.. I honestly don't know how people my age who don't have very very good paying jobs or a trust fund/inheritance can afford it..
    "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." -- Douglas Adams
    Originally posted by EricG
    It's just housing prices in New England are really insane.. I honestly don't know how people my age who don't have very very good paying jobs or a trust fund/inheritance can afford it..
    Perhaps instead of "Home is where you hang your hat" your location should read "Home is where you spend your dough"
    You should see the prices here in the northern suburbs of NYC. Here in Westchester County the median price of a single family house just hit $560,000. That's right over 1/2 million $$$$

I don't know how many young couples can afford to buy here, even co-ops now have a median price of almost $125,000.
    Jonathan
    Originally posted by K. Cannon

Perhaps instead of "Home is where you hang your hat" your location should read "Home is where you spend your dough"
    How true!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12