Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Overall she likes her FrankenPre (Sprint), but the lack of a functional camera/barcode scanner (which she needs for work) leave her longing for greener pastures.

Her contract is up and she's asking me what to get. I'm staying with WebOS as long as I can, but I've looked at phones for her. She uses it primarily for phone calls, texting, Facebook, calendar, photos/videos and uploading, and occasional Navigation.

I have been interested in the HTC Evo 4g LTE, the Samsung Nexus, and the Samsung Galaxy SIII (coming soon). Obviously, the Evo is held up at the border, the Nexus is available, and the S3 is coming soon.

What experience have any of you had with these phones (or evolutions of these phones)? My research says that the HTC will most likely be the most reliable, but that the Samsung's also have strong points.

Thanks to all -
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    Overall she likes her FrankenPre (Sprint), but the lack of a functional camera/barcode scanner (which she needs for work) leave her longing for greener pastures.

Her contract is up and she's asking me what to get. I'm staying with WebOS as long as I can, but I've looked at phones for her. She uses it primarily for phone calls, texting, Facebook, calendar, photos/videos and uploading, and occasional Navigation.

I have been interested in the HTC Evo 4g LTE, the Samsung Nexus, and the Samsung Galaxy SIII (coming soon). Obviously, the Evo is held up at the border, the Nexus is available, and the S3 is coming soon.

What experience have any of you had with these phones (or evolutions of these phones)? My research says that the HTC will most likely be the most reliable, but that the Samsung's also have strong points.

Thanks to all -
    HP codescan works well as a barcode reader?
    Well, the Nexus is six months old, the S3 is not out yet and the new Evo (which is apparently now finally shipping out) does not have a removable battery. The 4G LTE is not even up and running, so keep in mind that none of these three would even get a 4G signal yet. If she needs something now, there are a few good wimax enabled Android devices (i am on a nexus s right now and really like it). If she can hold out a couple of months, she may really want to consider comparison shopping between the EVO and S3 before pulling the trigger on the EVO right away.

/Tapatalker
    Go to at&t, they ended up cheaper than sprint for me on a family plan and WP is great. Love my lumia 900, wish it was the size of the 800 but with at&t h+ I average about 2-4mb down, lte? Not in my area yet
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    HP codescan works well as a barcode reader?
    With the Pre2, you cannot focus that closely for the barcode scanner to work consistently.
    try Q R offline decoder. The trick is that it wants the barcode to be the size of the focus ring. So you don't have to get close.
    Let her get an iphone. That's probly what she wants anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post
    Go to at&t, they ended up cheaper than sprint for me on a family plan and WP is great. Love my lumia 900, wish it was the size of the 800 but with at&t h+ I average about 2-4mb down, lte? Not in my area yet
    I would agree with going to GSM... I'm still with webOS, but GSM will give you a ton of options
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    A lot of WebOS users are deciding on Windows Phone, as for the most part, it's the most similar to WebOS of all the OSs out there, and the Nokia Lumia 900 has been getting amazing reviews (I'm hoping to get mine tomorrow!).

Here is an article you might find helpful on why Windows Phone is a good choice for those transitioning from WebOS: http://www.wpcentral.com/webos-windo...-your-new-home
    Windows phone most similar to webOS? Nothing is.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Laingman,
    Ooooh dear, I'll probably be agreeing with you tomorrow after getting my new Lumia. I know there are things I will miss, but I'm actually really excited about Windows Phone as well, and of all the platforms, it does look to be the "most" similar--whether it's very similar or not. Sad to say goodbye to WebOS!!
    Yeah I know we all probly will have to move on soon. I have windows 8 on my pc and I went to do a search and it was more steps than just type on my two year old pre2. I swear I don't know what to do, I just wish hp would have waited a little longer and gave us a least one 4g phone. Dammit!!!

Plus windows metro UI looks like something for kids.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Ah, that stinks Laignman. I especially feel bad for people that won't be able to easily transfer all their old data to their new phones. I barely checked e-mail on mine or used the calendar, etc., so for me, I'm just losing apps--and I didn't have any that I used on a regular basis or depended on. If you're really dependant upon WebOS, I can see how a transfer would be really upsetting.

With Windows Phone, I'm really looking forward to being able to sync up with my PC!! That's going to be so great!!
  14.    #14  
    Sprint doesn't show the Lumia as available. We're still on Sprint (job provided), so we're pretty much stuck with that.
    Move on?

I kinda moved back to my Tungsten
    lol

temporary though, until i get my Pre + iPod back
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    I thought the pre3 was able to focus in nice and close.
  17.    #17  
    Yes, but not on Sprint.
    All I'm saying is that any phone one can buy nowadays is a pretty good phone.

So if apps is what she wants all things being equal she should just get an iphone. But wait til the new iphone comes out so she won't be stuck with a 3g phone.

There is still a some kinda prestige about having an iphone.

PS... I wouldn't want one tho, too many steps to do the things I do the most
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Windows phone most similar to webOS? Nothing is.
    Using something else myself these
    days but your words ring damn true.
    Last edited by MDsmartphone; 05/26/2012 at 09:45 AM.
    First go back and evaluate whether you really need to stay w/ Sprint or you're just not comfortable leaving b/c you've been with them too long or have some special corp discount. Consider other carrier's plans and also look into MVNOs like Straight Talk.

If you must stick with Sprint, then it'll come down to 2 phones which you've mentioned already. Nexus or Evo LTE. Nexus is halfway through its life cycle but it's vanilla ICS and that means it'll get updates first. Evo LTE is the latest and greatest (now that it's finally getting past customs). I'd probably go for Evo LTE just b/c it's newer and the hardware is better. If you're the tinkering type (obviously you are since someone had to put together frankenpre), then I wouldn't worry about Evo LTE not getting updates. It'll be a popular phone so I'm sure you'll see plenty of unofficial ICS (and beyond like Jellybean) from the likes of Cyanogenmod et al. What's disappointing is that neither phone is a world phone. Why can't they just release some more flagship world phones?

GSIII is too far away. By the time the US carriers are done tinkering with it and making variants like they did with GSII, it'll be well into fall.

If you want to keep using touchstone, you can get Nexus and do the touchstone mod. Dieter did it to his. A Palm man at his heart.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast