Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Your wife wants a giant phone?
    I had the Galaxy Nexus for 10 days and returned it. It is so HUGE! And so is every other phone out there. Who in Heaven and Earth's creator's name decided to start making these huge phones??? I can't stand it. The IPhone is the only good screen size out there but I refuse to go to Apple.

The reason I returned the Nexus: Battery--Horrid, Phone--Huge, Touchscreen Keyboard OK, but not as easy as physical keyboard. Touchstone mod possible and I was on my way to doing it until I decided I couldnt stand the size of the phone. 4.6"??? ***. And the HTC is 4.7"!!! There are more reasons, but I can't keep typing.

"Oh WebOS, you broke my heart (hand on cheek and kissing mouth). You broke my heart." End scene. Exit stage left.

I think the Pre 3 wouldve done amazing. "HP, you broke my heart (hand on cheek and kissing mouth). You broke my heart." That's a rap. Bad job everybody. Exit stage left. See you never again."

So needless to say, I'm stuck with my Pre- again which I actually love, but the screen stress cracks are mounting, getting bigger soon to render touchscreen useless like my pther Pre-'s

Sincerely,

Confused and so upset and crying like babyface.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    First go back and evaluate whether you really need to stay w/ Sprint or you're just not comfortable leaving b/c you've been with them too long or have some special corp discount. Consider other carrier's plans and also look into MVNOs like Straight Talk.

If you must stick with Sprint, then it'll come down to 2 phones which you've mentioned already. Nexus or Evo LTE. Nexus is halfway through its life cycle but it's vanilla ICS and that means it'll get updates first. Evo LTE is the latest and greatest (now that it's finally getting past customs). I'd probably go for Evo LTE just b/c it's newer and the hardware is better. If you're the tinkering type (obviously you are since someone had to put together frankenpre), then I wouldn't worry about Evo LTE not getting updates. It'll be a popular phone so I'm sure you'll see plenty of unofficial ICS (and beyond like Jellybean) from the likes of Cyanogenmod et al. What's disappointing is that neither phone is a world phone. Why can't they just release some more flagship world phones?

GSIII is too far away. By the time the US carriers are done tinkering with it and making variants like they did with GSII, it'll be well into fall.

If you want to keep using touchstone, you can get Nexus and do the touchstone mod. Dieter did it to his. A Palm man at his heart.
    I have a few comments in reply to this post:
    "Nexus is halfway through its life cycle but it's vanilla ICS and that means it'll get updates first." - only in theory. In reality, though, GNex-on-Sprint owners will probably NOT be the first to get OTA. I speak from experience. I have the NS4G and we didn't get our ICS update until last month...almost SIX MONTHS after ICS was introduced. On CDMA carriers, expect to wait a significant amount of time to get the OTA update for Nexus.

I'm a little more optimistic about the GS3 than you, too. I think they will want deals in place with the carriers and release dates set to compete with the next iPhone.

Which leads me to my last point...if iPhone is what she wants, think about whether it would be better to wait for the iPhone 5 or if she'd be happy to hold onto the 4S for the next 20 months. I know iPhones have a good life span and are no obsolete quite as quickly as many of the Android devices, but 20 months can feel like an eternity when it comes to technology. She may want to grin and bear it for a couple more months to see whether she'll want the GS3 or the iPhone (and the EVO LTE owners can truly test out those non-removable batteries by that time).
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    I have a few comments in reply to this post:
    "Nexus is halfway through its life cycle but it's vanilla ICS and that means it'll get updates first." - only in theory. In reality, though, GNex-on-Sprint owners will probably NOT be the first to get OTA. I speak from experience. I have the NS4G and we didn't get our ICS update until last month...almost SIX MONTHS after ICS was introduced. On CDMA carriers, expect to wait a significant amount of time to get the OTA update for Nexus.

I'm a little more optimistic about the GS3 than you, too. I think they will want deals in place with the carriers and release dates set to compete with the next iPhone.

Which leads me to my last point...if iPhone is what she wants, think about whether it would be better to wait for the iPhone 5 or if she'd be happy to hold onto the 4S for the next 20 months. I know iPhones have a good life span and are no obsolete quite as quickly as many of the Android devices, but 20 months can feel like an eternity when it comes to technology. She may want to grin and bear it for a couple more months to see whether she'll want the GS3 or the iPhone (and the EVO LTE owners can truly test out those non-removable batteries by that time).
    Good point about Gnex not getting updates soon even though it's a Nexus phone. That just means that it's now in the same category as Evo LTE where you'll rely on groups like CM to push out the next major update well before an official carrier update. And if that's the case, then you might as well get Evo LTE.

I'm a bit tired and annoyed that iphone is the go to, default phone for many, many people. But I also can't deny the fact it just works, it's very polished, and has more apps than you can imagine. But I for one refuse to be locked into the apple eco-system where I feel I'm selling my soul and any ability to think on my own. Ok, don't want to start a flame war but there, I've said my piece. So I'm not suggesting iphone but if that's what she wants, then get her that. If she's going to hold out to GSIII, then might as well wait for IP5, if they're going to be out around the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    I had the Galaxy Nexus for 10 days and returned it. It is so HUGE! And so is every other phone out there. Who in Heaven and Earth's creator's name decided to start making these huge phones??? I can't stand it.
    Same here.
    It's just like how American cars keep getting bigger and bigger. I'd prefer to see more flagship phones in the 3.6"-4.0" range. Oh well, those days are gone.

For women though, bigger phone is not as big an issue since their phone lives in the purse. For guys, Gnex is big enough for a front pocket. Where would you even stick in a Galaxy Note???

For ppl that like to run with their phone (me), a big phone is a problem. Although I have a nice utility pouch for running that goes around my waist, at some point, a phone's gonna be too large to just carry around while running.
    Girls are taking the Ace and S2 from Samsung here ,as the Note.

Tech changes very fast today de S3 for 6 months and in December you will have something different.
    if she likes alot of apps id say go android. i have the gnexus and i love it.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I love webOS and have my original Palm Pre from Sprint. Though webOS is old it still has features that the other OS's imitate, but have not mastered. What I am about to discuss is just based on the phones feature set as I see it.

The phone I like the most if I had to change would be the Samsung Galaxy phones. I love what I have seen for the Galaxy SIII except for their multitasking. When you close an app it is still running in the background and you hae to go to a screen where all the apps that are running are listed and close them there. Other than that its a good looking phone and unlike all of the other phones suggested it has a user replaceable battery which means you can carry a spare one and change it on those heavy uage days. Only other draw back is that it will not be out until summer.

I talked my wife into getting a Galaxy SII and she loves it. My coworkes though on AT&T were also replacing a phone they were deciding between the Iphone and Galaxy SII. I layed out pros and cons and they went with the Galaxy SII and they love it.

HTC EVO - Pros (Good phone with a good camera, drag and drop file transfer without added program)
    Con ( No user replaceable baterry, multitasking)

Iphone - Pros (Good phone with good camera, retina display)
    Con (No user replaceable battrey, must have special plug, can't just use all the mini usb cables we all have lying around, must use Itunes to transfer files to phone, multitasking, front and back glass to break when dropped)

Samsung Galaxy - Pro (Good phone with good camera, drag and drop file transfer without extra program, user replaceable battery)
    Con (multitasking SII older phone not the latest android update, SIII not out until summer)

Mutitasking con is based on what we at webOS to know multitasking to be and screen swipe to close program.

Good luck deciding on the new phone.
    Last edited by Dsquare; 05/25/2012 at 04:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Yeah I know we all probly will have to move on soon. I have windows 8 on my pc and I went to do a search and it was more steps than just type on my two year old pre2. I swear I don't know what to do, I just wish hp would have waited a little longer and gave us a least one 4g phone. Dammit!!!

Plus windows metro UI looks like something for kids.
    Pre3 on ATT... ?

I still love my phone, there is a strong group of us still rocking Pre3's daily
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    manberryman likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry201 View Post
    You can't go wrong with the iPhone. Wife should love it. Simple, easy to use with some fantastic apps and is so smooth. I hope to ditch my android phone for one when the new version comes out. I tried a windows phone but it didn't do it for me.
    I can say, you can go wrong with the iPhone...

We tried one when we first switched to GSM, both the wife and I HATED virtual keyboard on it.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    My parents both have the new iPhones, and while they're beautiful, and I like Siri (Windows Phone has a similar device, btw), I find them annoying to use. The OS isn't smooth and user-friendly, in my opinion, and my mom really struggles with using hers. There are extra steps you have to take that don't seem necessary, and it just throws her off. Also, some of her contacts will just disappear for no reason. When she syncs it up to her computer, it messes up the address book on her phone, so she's very careful now to not charge it with her computer.

I really wish she had gotten a Windows Phone, as I've heard from many that it's the easiest phone to transition to if you're coming from WebOS, which equates to me that it's an uncomplicated phone to use. She was very, very frustrated with her phone for quite a while--I think she's gotten more used to it now though, but does she love it? No. She does like Siri though!! haha!! Siri types text messages for her and looks up phone numbers and locations.

I'm excited about Windows Phone because it looks to have the simplest and most intuitive OS. I use Word, Outlook, etc., and I love the fact that I can easily sync everything up to my PC. Plus, it comes with Microsoft Office already installed! (At least the Nokia Lumia 900 does).

Unless you want the best apps possible (go with iPhone) and want full customization of your phone (go with Android), if you're a PC user looking for an elegant, intuitive OS, with most of the most popular, necessary apps available, Windows Phone makes the most sense to me.
    Hey voltage-rock, just get a pre2/3 and be done with it for a while. No more plastic, scratches, etc
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Oh my goodness.....I got my Windows Phone today, and I am soooo happy with it!!! Not only is it totally gorgeous (Nokia Lumia 900), but it's also really easy to use so far and I can already see that it has lots of great features I'm going to love. Never thought I'd say it, but "WebOS who??" (Don't get me wrong--always a fan of WebOS!! I'm just really happy with Windows Phone!!!).
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I say get Judas a Motorola Razr. Then she will see how great she had it.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyPalm View Post
    Oh my goodness.....I got my Windows Phone today, and I am soooo happy with it!!! Not only is it totally gorgeous (Nokia Lumia 900), but it's also really easy to use so far and I can already see that it has lots of great features I'm going to love. Never thought I'd say it, but "WebOS who??" (Don't get me wrong--always a fan of WebOS!! I'm just really happy with Windows Phone!!!).
    That's funny, webOS who. That's what they have been saying ever since the htc hero. Anybody remember when the site was turning into android central?

Seriously tho I would love some of the 4g speed and a browser that always behaves itself.

Glad you made a good choice
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Laingman,
    Thank you!! I haven't quite figured out how to do multitasking, and I know it won't be as smooth as WebOS, but I'm still so happy about this phone!

Another huge plus is that's it was a total breeze to protect this phone!! It was so easy to put a case on that easily fits (went through soooo many cases for my Palm Pre Plus that just didn't work out!!) and the screen is such that it's easy to put on a screen protector (with my Palm, I had to find a case that overlapped the screen protector, due to the build of the phone, the curve of the screen without edges, etc....I spent waaaay too much time and money on that--what I liked least about the phone!). Anyway, after all the time and money spent protecting the Palm, I'm thrilled about this aspect! ha!!!

When it's time for you to make a change, I hope you're happy with what you find.
    Another detail to remember is, Samsung has stated there will be a wireless charging option for the SIII. Palm may have failed, but their legacy lives on!

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    Overall she likes her FrankenPre (Sprint), but the lack of a functional camera/barcode scanner (which she needs for work) leave her longing for greener pastures.

Her contract is up and she's asking me what to get. I'm staying with WebOS as long as I can, but I've looked at phones for her. She uses it primarily for phone calls, texting, Facebook, calendar, photos/videos and uploading, and occasional Navigation.
    If you are not set on Android, may I recommend having a look at Nokia N9?
    Phone calls, texting: no problem, of course
    Facebook: Has a capable FB app, multiple browsers (stock, Firefox w/Flash, Opera) and third party FB apps. FB is integrated into the newsfeed screen (check out a review video to see how the N9/MeeGo Harmattan works with its three screens). FB chat is also integrated. (along with almost every other IM service there is)
    Calendar: unless she needs specific calendar and organizing features, the calendar in the N9 works as well as any other. Calendar entries can also be integrated into the newsfeed screen.
    Photos/Videos: it has a good 8MP camera. It can't record 1080p video though.
    Uploading: you can take a picture or video and upload it from the gallery to (or send it via): Dropbox, Facebook, Picasa, Twitter, MMS, Email, Bluetooth and NFC, but these are just the accounts I set up, there may be more options.
    Lastly, navigation, this is a huge plus because it comes with free and complete navigation from Nokia out of the box including maps.

Oh and it has several QR code / barcode scanner apps.

Edit: GSMArena N9 page
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry201 View Post
    Recommending moving from one unsupported OS to go to another unsupported OS? Does that make sense to you? It's not like you can get it subsidized either.
    What do you mean? It is supported. Nokia probably won't produce another MeeGo phone, so what. It still gets updated and you get the regular customer support and everything. Community is great, too, just look how alive the N900 still is. I don't know about subsidies. It's a good alternative if you don't like iOS, Android, etc.
    Why do so many ppl think that subsidizing a device is a good thing?
    Its no wonder most are living on credit.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast