Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44
Like Tree13Likes
  1.    #1  
    How many of us fellow Amigans have found their way here? I know there are a few others besides myself. We seem to gravitate towards operating systems that have multitasking as the number one most important feature I suppose. I was very active in the old Amiga scene and still have an extensive collection of Amiga classic hardware. I was hoping to hear from the rest of you and how similar the situation is with webOS that we experienced with AmigaOS all those years ago...
    klx300r, spud101 and jcmarcos like this.
  2. #2  
    I've often thought about this. I always make my decisions based on the technology, and not based on what's popular.

    I went from Amiga --> OS/2 --> webOS...
  3. #3  
    Ex-Amigan here, (it's been a looooong time since I inserted a kickstart disc).I was a big fan and traveled to the bankruptcy auction, which I believe was in west Chester, PA.
    AmigaOS to WebOS, what will my next golden touch be?

    I'll have to check the Amiga box and see what's in it. I remember a few hundred floppy disc games, but don't think I have any hardware left. I loved how it was so easy to put a PAL/NTSC switch on it to play european games. Those days remind me of phreaking with the rat shack red boxes and hanging out on the magnetic madness BBS. I remember, at a hamfest, getting a 1 GB external drive for a steal. Like $200
    Last edited by woosh; 03/31/2012 at 12:39 AM. Reason: verbosity
    You plug your phone in?
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubuntite View Post
    I've often thought about this. I always make my decisions based on the technology, and not based on what's popular.
    Same here. Still have an A2000. Started with basic A500 (and c64 before that). Same with webOS started with basic TP 16gb, now have TP 4g. What will be next?
  5. #5  
    Yep, still have my 1200, 3000 and 4000t. Not to mention several older Commodore Pets and C64's

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
    Yep, still have my 1200, 3000 and 4000t. Not to mention several older Commodore Pets and C64's
    I also still have some of this stuff. Lovers of underdog computing platforms unite!
    kataran likes this.
  7. #7  
    C16, a C64, 2x C64c's, A500, A600, CD32+SX32 (bog standard model not the super good 030 one i couldnt get at the time, this sucker is also on/off broken/works), an A1200/030 and a towered A1200 (040, old eyetech one with a 603e PPC, Cybervision 64 3D and a Picasso IV card - Now long dead with no replacements that werent dodgey or too expensive), currently also trying emulated Amiga via use of the AmiKit/UAE (its ok but nto awesome, but gravitate on that to play deluxe galaga mostly and some hired guns etc etc).

    Still love many parts of amigaOS such as program wide use of devs/datatypes, easy method of using assigns to easily do what you want with volumes/devices (esp having many destination folders referenced as 1 single assign), the dynamic ram drive to throw your temp files in or whatever else (still dont think ANY os can do that properly, seen ones that do grow in size but not shrink as well like the amiga one does).

    Yeah, i r a big fan even now, looking for one of the Amiga One X1000's (quite amusing and ironic i can buy a new amiga now and not a webOS device ), and not the older eyetech variant type jobbies, handy that you can also slap linux onto it as well, amiga's to me have always felt open and uncaged, its what attracted me to webOS when i first thought of aquiring a tablet then later replacing my crap old clamshell samsung phone.
  8. #8  
    No Amiga here, but I still have my Atari 1200XL, NeXTStation Turbo Color Slab (OpenStep and many hardware designs that Steve Jobs brought back into Apple), and a Sun Sparc10.
  9. Xeron's Avatar
    Posts
    237 Posts
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    #9  
    amiga fan here

    actually I have an amigaone xe g4 that I use a lot, and I'm a core developer in my spare time for amigaos 4 ...
  10.    #10  
    Thank you to everyone that responded! I knew there would be some of us here!!!

    I have many a500s a600, cdtv, cd32with sx030, 2000, 3000, 4000, 1200 towerized with elbox ziv board and 040.

    even still have a 64 (can't find a power supply for it though). And a 1541 lol....

    I used AmigaOS up until a few years ago when I bought some x86 hardware and installed ubuntu on it. I have never used windows ever. I'm actually proud of that statement. Never liked the nt kernel. Today I haven't used a desktop computer in about 2 years, and since I've gotten my touchpad, I have only used my ubuntu laptop a couple of times in the past 4 months! Looking forward to open webOS and continuing the fine lifelong tradition of not worrying about how everyone else does it, and doing what works best for me.

    Thanks again everyone for bringing me down memory lane.
  11. #11  
    i had to google amiga to find out what it looked like. I'm amazed that they are or maybe were making that OS. it was something called Amiga 4.1. I thought it died out like 30 years ago. Interestingly i came across a page listing a bunch of OS's i'd never heard of. I never knew there were that many out there.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  12. #12  
    for ne1 not too knowledgeable of amigas

    he has an older vid as well.
    jcmarcos likes this.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    i had to google amiga to find out what it looked like. I'm amazed that they are or maybe were making that OS. it was something called Amiga 4.1. I thought it died out like 30 years ago. Interestingly i came across a page listing a bunch of OS's i'd never heard of. I never knew there were that many out there.
    and i still want the new 1, their just sold out atm, and yeah its old overall and amazingly has good software support even now if a tad slow in showing up, kinda bad its that age and has taken ages to get more/new hardware, yet its managed after all this time.

    Then u look at HP/apotheker giving up pretty much instantly, its quite a massive difference to now, but if u want some similar stupidity, google for medhi ali and commodore international, if u can find the info, he and more ruined commodore pretty famously, hard to believe but ruined it more than apotheker, with a fail "plan" of not releasing new tech when they could and just letting their old hardware earn cash till nothing came in anymore.

    sooooo want the new amigaone x1000, cmon preorders, GIMMEH!!
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberpmg View Post
    No Amiga here, but I still have my Atari 1200XL, NeXTStation Turbo Color Slab (OpenStep and many hardware designs that Steve Jobs brought back into Apple), and a Sun Sparc10.
    Atari????? BURN THE WITCH !!!!!
    spud101 likes this.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    Atari????? BURN THE WITCH !!!!!
    Lol ST user here
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  16. #16  
    Not sure how much of that stuff might still be in the basement. Should be an A1000, although sadly the case is fire damaged but still functional. The case is partially melted but you can still make out the paw print of Mitchy, Jay Miner's dog, on the inside top cover. Think there is an SX-64 down there as well. Some Atari stuff to but don't want geekpeter to stab me with his pitchfork...
    sledge007 and jcmarcos like this.
  17. #17  
    A friend had one - I want to say a 500 - in high school. (Googled after I posted and it was definitely a 500). Coolest thing I had ever seen (well, computer-wise :P). The graphics and sound absolutely blew me away. I just had a lowly C128. That's when I was introduced to computer viruses.. he had lots of disks full of copied software he was showing me, and I think half of it was infected.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 03/31/2012 at 10:15 AM.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    Not sure how much of that stuff might still be in the basement. Should be an A1000, although sadly the case is fire damaged but still functional. The case is partially melted but you can still make out the paw print of Mitchy, Jay Miner's dog, on the inside top cover. Think there is an SX-64 down there as well. Some Atari stuff to but don't want geekpeter to stab me with his pitchfork...
    Click to view quoted image
    all good here, but ahhhh the days of atari and amiga users trying to 1up each other and flaming away...... those were the days.

    still imho the only thing the atari had advantage wise was MIDI, tho imho MIDI sounds/tunes to me also sucked hard (id rather listen to SID tunes tbh, ooooooh how i wanted a phone to support those as ringtones without converting to MP3) so no big deal tbh.
  19. Xeron's Avatar
    Posts
    237 Posts
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    #19  
    I think you're confusing MIDI with some of the poor midi instrument sets that old souncards used to have. MIDI itself is just a standard for interconnecting electronic musical equipment.
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    all good here, but ahhhh the days of atari and amiga users trying to 1up each other and flaming away...... those were the days.

    still imho the only thing the atari had advantage wise was MIDI, tho imho MIDI sounds/tunes to me also sucked hard (id rather listen to SID tunes tbh, ooooooh how i wanted a phone to support those as ringtones without converting to MP3) so no big deal tbh.
    That was all kinda strage they way it went down. After the Atari 2600 & Commodores PET & VIC20, Atari bought out the 400/800 about the same time as the Commodore 64. Then the big switch, Jay Miner, along with other Atari staffers, started Amiga which ended up being bought by Commodore. In the meantime Jack Tramiel had left Commodore, bought Atari & ended up bringing out his next generation 68000 design as the the Atari ST. So essentially what by heritage should have been the next generation Atari ended up coming out as the Commodore Amiga and Tramiel "father" of the C64 brought out the Atari ST.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions