Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    A friend had one - I want to say a 500 - in high school. (Googled after I posted and it was definitely a 500). Coolest thing I had ever seen (well, computer-wise :P). The graphics and sound absolutely blew me away. I just had a lowly C128. That's when I was introduced to computer viruses.. he had lots of disks full of copied software he was showing me, and I think half of it was infected.
    Don't think I ever got a Commodore 8-bit virus but apparently there are some, as well as others before that such as those for CP/M and the Apple II.
    There is some C64 virus info here.
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    Don't think I ever got a Commodore 8-bit virus but apparently there are some, as well as others before that such as those for CP/M and the Apple II.
    There is some C64 virus info here.
    I am on old Amiga user, too. Seems that HP had just as much trouble selling the virtues of multi-tasking as Commodore did. HP needed their version of the juggler.
    terry
    Quote Originally Posted by 1969tc View Post
    I am on old Amiga user, too. Seems that HP had just as much trouble selling the virtues of multi-tasking as Commodore did. HP needed their version of the juggler.
    terry
    commodore didnt even try to seriously sell any virtues of workbench/multitasking, they pretty much advertised the platform as a games machines, always did, which wasnt very clever when newer consoles were growing in popularity..
    Last edited by geekpeter; 03/31/2012 at 10:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeron View Post
    I think you're confusing MIDI with some of the poor midi instrument sets that old souncards used to have. MIDI itself is just a standard for interconnecting electronic musical equipment.
    i just mean the fact the atari st had an integrated midi interface which ofc the amiga didnt, considering thats pretty much the only thing the st had that the amiga didnt, st users liked to brag about er, just that one thing mostly, they certainly didnt have better sound/gfx/os, and a game/program wasnt better in any way shape or form unless it originated on the st and had a gash/rubbish port to the amiga.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    i just mean the fact the atari st had an integrated midi interface which ofc the amiga didnt, considering thats pretty much the only thing the st had that the amiga didnt, st users liked to brag about er, just that one thing mostly, they certainly didnt have better sound/gfx/os, and a game/program wasnt better in any way shape or form unless it originated on the st and had a gash/rubbish port to the amiga.
    ST had a simipler design so came out a bit earlier. The CPU was clocked slightly faster but faster but lacked the goodness of Agnus, Denise, and Paula. The ST, aka Jackintosh did have integrated MIDI support for those who needed it and did have a nice high-resolution monochrome monitor, again for those who needed such.
    Quote Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
    How many of us fellow Amigans have found their way here? I know there are a few others besides myself. We seem to gravitate towards operating systems that have multitasking as the number one most important feature I suppose. I was very active in the old Amiga scene and still have an extensive collection of Amiga classic hardware. I was hoping to hear from the rest of you and how similar the situation is with webOS that we experienced with AmigaOS all those years ago...
    LOL we amigans sure know about great operating systems that get obscured by large companies that don't have a clue how to market them!

My fellow Amigan what do you mean by WAS?? AmigaOS is still being developed today! Check out Welcome to AmigaOS | AmigaOS. I got back into the scene myself in 2009 when new hardware was finally made after that long AI lawsuit. I currently own a brand new AmigaOne X1000 running AmigaOS4.1 Update 5 & 4.2 will hopefully be here soon :-)
    still have my classic 500 with A590 external HD & 1200 with Blizzard 030@50 & there's quite a large scene today on modding them with modern goodies but since I got my new AmigaOne my classics are basically in storage.

lots of great sites to visit to get caught up on the active Amiga scene like:
    amigaos.net
    amigans.net
    amigaworld.net

also retro sites for maintaining the classics:
    lemonamiga.com
    Amiga.org
    englishamigaboard.net
    sent from my HP Touchpad OR AmigaOne X1000
    AmigaOS lives !
    spud101 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    i had to google amiga to find out what it looked like. I'm amazed that they are or maybe were making that OS. it was something called Amiga 4.1. I thought it died out like 30 years ago......
    nah we're still ALIVE & KICKIN! NEVER SURRENDER :-)

AmigaOS lives !
    ...Yeah, i r a big fan even now, looking for one of the Amiga One X1000's (quite amusing and ironic i can buy a new amiga now and not a webOS device ), and not the older eyetech variant type jobbies, handy that you can also slap linux onto it as well, amiga's to me have always felt open and uncaged, its what attracted me to webOS when i first thought of aquiring a tablet then later replacing my crap old clamshell samsung phone.
    The second run of the AmigaONE X1000 should be shipping soon..place your interest here & do it pretty quick as the first batch sold out in 36 hours

Amigaworld.net - The Amiga Computer Community Portal Website

btw, ACube also make brand new AmigaOS systems (AmigaOne 500/ Sam460ex/ Sam440) as well which are significantly cheaper than the X1000 but if you want the flagship new Amiga than the X1000 is the way to go (think A4000T vs A2000)

anyhow it's just great to have new hardware & choice available today for my favourite OS...just wish I could say the same for WebOS hardware :-(
    Last edited by klx300r; 04/01/2012 at 10:22 AM.
    AmigaOS lives !
    Quote Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
    My fellow Amigan what do you mean by WAS?? AmigaOS is still being developed today! Check out Welcome to AmigaOS | AmigaOS. I got back into the scene myself in 2009 when new hardware was finally made after that long AI lawsuit. I currently own a brand new AmigaOne X1000 running AmigaOS4.1 Update 5 & 4.2 will hopefully be here soon :-)
    Cool. You can also get a new Commodore 64(x). Should you? Personal choice I guess.
    @ texasflood

ah yes CUSA...well let's just say that they made a plastic case that looks like the classic C64 but it's just a modern PC that runs a Linux skin and Commodore emulator? I personally wouldnt like to use my old breadbox for any long typing sessions & I can run a C64 emulator on any old PC.

They also have bought rights from the infamous Amiga Inc. and plan to put a bog standard PC with an Amiga sticker and again have a Linux skin running an Amiga emulator all for triple fee for what one can buy the exact same parts for on ebay??? Making claims like 'bringing back Amiga' when you are pawning off stock standard PC parts with a Linux OS is just low in my backs and happy to say that the majority of current Amiga users agree.

in short no thanks CUSA! Commodore themselves tried labelling stock PC's running DOS back in the day and we all know how that turned out LOL.
    AmigaOS lives !
    LOL we amigans sure know about great operating systems that get obscured by large companies that don't have a clue how to market them!

still have my classic 500 with A590 external HD & 1200 with Blizzard 030@50 & there's quite a large scene today on modding them with modern goodies but since I got my new AmigaOne my classics are basically in storage.

lots of great sites to visit to get caught up on the active Amiga scene like:
    amigaos.net
    amigans.net
    amigaworld.net

also retro sites for maintaining the classics:
    lemonamiga.com
    Amiga.org
    englishamigaboard.net
    an a590 jesus, does it still sound like a helecopter taking off and require the heads parking before turning off? lol, i remember having a whopping 20mb one and thinking THIS IS MASSIVE !!!
    @ texasflood

ah yes CUSA...well let's just say that they made a plastic case that looks like the classic C64 but it's just a modern PC that runs a Linux skin and Commodore emulator? I personally wouldnt like to use my old breadbox for any long typing sessions & I can run a C64 emulator on any old PC.

They also have bought rights from the infamous Amiga Inc. and plan to put a bog standard PC with an Amiga sticker and again have a Linux skin running an Amiga emulator all for triple fee for what one can buy the exact same parts for on ebay??? Making claims like 'bringing back Amiga' when you are pawning off stock standard PC parts with a Linux OS is just low in my backs and happy to say that the majority of current Amiga users agree.

in short no thanks CUSA! Commodore themselves tried labelling stock PC's running DOS back in the day and we all know how that turned out LOL.
    last i heard they were going to go with aros or some other x86 free variant and slap on cheapo naff hardware? emulated sounds even worse.
    @ texasflood

I knew you'd say that, and you're right. But if you wanted to capture the retro style of the C64 with modern components it might be a valid choice. Doing the same with the Amiga sounds much more questionable.
    an a590 jesus, does it still sound like a helecopter taking off and require the heads parking before turning off? lol, i remember having a whopping 20mb one and thinking THIS IS MASSIVE !!!
    Yup still as loud as ever with the original whopping 20 MB XT-IDE drive :-) actually had a 4GB in the A590 back in 04 I think for a short period of time working lightning fast
    last i heard they were going to go with aros or some other x86 free variant and slap on cheapo naff hardware? emulated sounds even worse.
    Nah they haven't put a cent into AROS or any other Amifa related bounty & even went so far as to try to use the current Amiga sites to spam their wares. When the community laughed at them the so called CEO posted a rude thread saying that current Amigans aren't their 'market' anyhow LOL

I've got no problem with the 64x at least they made a new case for the PC running Linux but messing with the Amiga legacy when we have so many dedicated developers working on the REAL Amiga OS is blasphemy
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    I knew you'd say that, and you're right. But if you wanted to capture the retro style of the C64 with modern components it might be a valid choice. Doing the same with the Amiga sounds much more questionable.
    + 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeron View Post
    amiga fan here

actually I have an amigaone xe g4 that I use a lot, and I'm a core developer in my spare time for amigaos 4 ...
    Cheers mate didn't see your post till now :-)

Based on this thread, we really must try to let more ex-amigans know AmigaOS is still in development eh
    Last edited by klx300r; 04/01/2012 at 10:28 PM.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Another ex-Amigan here. I'm also typically someone going for the underdog platforms:

AmigaOS, BeOS, PalmOS, webOS,..

I wonder, it wouldn't be that hard to get a version of UAE running on webOS would it???

Preferably native instead of this: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ds-ubuntu.html
    renater likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    Another ex-Amigan here. I'm also typically someone going for the underdog platforms:

AmigaOS, BeOS, PalmOS, webOS,..

I wonder, it wouldn't be that hard to get a version of UAE running on webOS would it???

Preferably native instead of this: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ds-ubuntu.html
    Would be nice to have UAE on the Touchpad, but what about running webOS on a X1000
    How come that I've discovered this thread just today!?

I'm a former amigan since its original launch here in Spain, back in 1988, IIRC. Prior to that I had a C-64 with a 1541 disk drive and, prior to that, in 1982... A VIC-20! I still have my A1000, but my main Amiga was the great A3000 desktop, to which I fitted a RetinaBLT Z3 graphics board, and a IOBlix serial board.

I still used Amiga, mostly as a hobby (although I have a little professional use for a short time), even after the Commodore bankrupcy, in the mid nineties. But in the early years of this millenium I switched to MorphOS, an even rarer descendant of Amiga, made mainly as a hobby project by a few of the remaining geniuses, once responsable for the PowerPC hardware and software expansions for Amiga.

I still have my Pegasos I G3 at home but, as the A1000, it's no longer used.

HELL, THIS COMPUTER JUST REFUSES TO DIE! ;-)
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
    spud101 likes this.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast