1.    #1  
    Hi all,

In court one is trained not to ask any questions of someone on the stand unless you already know the answer. Keep this in mind as you read this. Apple have an amazing ability not to have looked very carefully before it climbed into be with Foxconn. Of course there not the only ones...but they are the industry leader...

Before Steve Jobs sadly & tragically passed away he admitted that the iPad & iPhone could have been made in the USA at a profit...but that Apple choose not to.

It has been rumored and I frankly haven't had time to look into it, that part of the issue was that Jobs had a disagreement with the President on the subject...I think I read that it played into Jobs' final decision to manufacture in China, (not wanting to add very large uptick of jobs on Obama's watch.....this portion as I said I haven't had time to look into...althought I've heard the story dozens of times).

(I'm getting married in 21/2 weeks and looking up what Jobs and Obama argued about isn't in my very tight schedule).

Apple has admitted it would make money on the iPad & iPhones if they were made here...but greed played into it.. I know that Apple has stockholders to report to however, is a great deal of profit worth not caring about conditions are in China??? Don't people like Jobs owe something back to their country, such as providing jobs....he would still have made fortunes iPhones and iPads here....after all didn't Jobs owe something back to his country for him being lucky enough to have been born into a country that encouraged freedom, free thinking and rewarding him so well??

It's been no secret for a very long time of working conditions in China...that goes all they way back to when my when my dear Father worked for ideal Toy decades ago in Hollis NYC! How much money does one need while turning one's back on working conditions of others.....

In my opinion none of this would have come to light while Steve Jobs was still alive.....but Jobs had very good press relations and now that sadly he is gone it's a whole new ball game...But Tim Cook isn't Steve Jobs....Apple is far from the only firm guilty of closing it's eyes....however, Mr. Cook, Mr. Jobs and others conveniently had their eyes sealed shut..

It does make one think that none of this would have happened including very blackened eyes of both Apple and Foxconn if they were made here.....

Apple put out a very self serving report about a week ago of how many jobs it has created here in the USA....although it would be almost impossible to prove any of it indepdeatly......

I can't help thinking that sadly Jobs created an issue that blew up shortly after he died....I have a concsous...I'm afraid to many people lose it once they make it to the top.

Take care all,

Jay

March 29, 2012

Apple Supplier in China Pledges Big Changes in Working Conditions

By CHARLES DUHIGG and STEVEN GREENHOUSE

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/30/bu...gewanted=print

Foxconn, which manufactures more than 40 percent of the world’s electronics for such companies as Apple, Dell, Amazon and others, has pledged to sharply curtail the number of working hours within its Chinese factories and significantly increase wages, a move that could improve working conditions across China.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Wasn't the TouchPad also built in the same factory?

This is hardly major news. Foxconn has been the target of poor working conditions in the past. Remember the suicides that happened due to job stress there?
    OK, dude I could not find any evidence what so ever stating

Before Steve Jobs sadly & tragically passed away he admitted that the iPad & iPhone could have been made in the USA at a profit...but that Apple choose not to.
    or this

It has been rumored and I frankly haven't had time to look into it, that part of the issue was that Jobs had a disagreement with the President on the subject...I think I read that it played into Jobs' final decision to manufacture in China, (not wanting to add very large uptick of jobs on Obama's watch.....this portion as I said I haven't had time to look into...althought I've heard the story dozens of times).
    Please provide the links to back up what you posted because I couldn't find one link stating what you posted. If you can't prove the above, why post it?

You said that you have heard the above. Well, you know what, I've heard that Elvis is still alive. So, it must be so, right?

The only thing I could find about the Jobs and Obama conversation about building products in the US is this...

Jobs told Obama that American regulations make it more difficult for Apple to build its products cheaply in the United States compared to the cost of building them in China. Chinese health and safety standards are more lax than the United States.
    Nothing like what you posted earlier.

Don't people like Jobs owe something back to their country, such as providing jobs....he would still have made fortunes iPhones and iPads here....after all didn't Jobs owe something back to his country for him being lucky enough to have been born into a country that encouraged freedom, free thinking and rewarding him so well??
    Doesn't HP, Dell, Wal-Mart, and literally tens of thousands of companies that have their stuff made in China owe something back to their country????? Why are you singling out Apple? They are not the only successful company in the United States that makes tons of money. The oil companies owe us a freaking break from high gas prices, but I don't see them giving back to the country by keeping gas prices low and taking less profit.

<edited by staff>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 03/30/2012 at 12:26 AM.
    Common sense would dictate that by the time Jobs and Obama - who took office at the end of Jan 2009 - met for any discussion, the decision to manufacture Apple products were already made. In the case of the iPod, those decisions predated even Obama's predecessor. The iPhone decision also predates Obama. Its development goes back to 2005, with the first model showing up in early 2007. The 3G also showed up before Obama (July 08) and the 3GS' planning also predates Obama.

Depending on their development cycles, the iPhone 4 and iPad are likely the ones in question here, but a basic understanding of the dynamics behind supply chain - including relations, - manufacturing processes and capacities, scale, etc., would show that 2009 was far too late for discussions affecting current products. It would require years of discussions, law making and relationship building to get Apple manufacturing back to the US. That is not likely to happen either because the bureaucratic mess that is American government, combined w/ labor relations and other things will thwart it at every turn. Apple is much too happy w/ the present situation and its superior logistical layouts to worry about changes.

At this stage in the game, nationalistic and protectionist appeals are useless. It is after the fact: you're not in the process of being sold out - you have already been sold out. The new globalist reality is well rooted and the removal of the US' manufacturing base will continue.

I'll stop here before it gets too political (even if the answers lie in politics).
    HP promised big things too
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    as if foxxcon would change anything and damage their wallet, they like many/any ££/$$ seeking company will give lip service, forget and move on.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,
    Steve Jobs... admitted that the iPad & iPhone could have been made in the USA at a profit...but that Apple choose not to.

part of the issue was that Jobs had a disagreement with the President on the subject...I think I read that it played into Jobs' final decision to manufacture in China, (not wanting to add very large uptick of jobs on Obama's watch
    I read the Jobs biography. I did not detect much disagreement on the subject of manufacturing Apple products in the U.S. Nor do i get the impression that Jobs did not want to add jobs on Obama's watch. I think iPhones where made in China before Obama got in office. But also the book details a meeting between Obama, Zuckerberg, Immelt, and many Silicon Valley CEOs. Where many other CEOs tried to push for laws that only served themselves. Jobs sought change that helped the country. I'll quote from the book:

"Jobs, sitting next to the president, kicked off the dinner by saying, “Regardless of our political persuasions, I want you to know that we’re here to do whatever you ask to help our country.
    Jobs went on to urge that a way be found to train more American engineers. Apple had 700,000 factory workers employed in China, he said, and that was because it needed 30,000 engineers on-site to support those workers. “You can’t find that many in America to hire,” he said. These factory engineers did not have to be PhDs or geniuses; they simply needed to have basic engineering skills for manufacturing. Tech schools, community colleges, or trade schools could train them. “If you could educate these engineers,” he said, “we could move more manufacturing plants here.The argument made a strong impression on the president. Two or three times over the next month he told his aides, “We’ve got to find ways to train those 30,000 manufacturing engineers that Jobs told us about.”

Jobs was pleased that Obama followed up, and they talked by telephone a few times after the meeting. He offered to help create Obama’s political ads for the 2012 campaign. (He had made the same offer in 2008, but he’d become annoyed when Obama’s strategist David Axelrod wasn’t totally deferential.)" Chapter 41
    From this text it seems like, he was interested in helping his country with jobs. Also, It seems a major reason they couldn't do manufacturing the US was because of the lack of 30k American Engineers. Lastly it seems that he and Obama actually agreed on a need to try to train American engineers to fill these jobs and they spoke several times on the subject of educating those 30k engineers.

Additionally, there is discussion about fixing education by being able to fire bad teachers, having trade schools help teach some engineers, getting rid of regulations that prevent building factories in the U.S.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.