Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    A one week in update from Derek. I know, you've been waiting soooo much for this. [/sarcasm]

I've adopted an alternating-days workout regimen. One day I'll do an anerobic upper and lower body exercise, the other day I run at least two miles.

The body workout consists of the following...
    • Close-arm (~14" apart) push-ups: 30+
    • Standard width (~25") push-ups: 30+
    • Wide-arm (~36") push-ups: 30+
    • Flutter kicks: 60
    • Leg Lifts: 30+
    • Hold feet 12" off floor: 30+ seconds
    • Cradle crunches: 30+
    • Box and reach: 60
    • Vertical crunches: 30+

*The + denotes that I add at least one repetition for each day I've performed that exercise. For example, after eight days of Fitness Month, tomorrow I'd be doing 35 of each push-up.

All of these exercise are performed without weights or any other special equipment on my living room floor with the night prior's episode of Conan on the TV.

My running route is a two mile circuit through my neighborhood. As I live in Cincinnati, that means it's all hills. Seriously, there's not a flat stretch the entire way. I could take a path that would be more level, but what's the fun in that? According to FitTrack it looks like I cover about 1300 feet in elevation change (up down up down up down up down all the way). Good for endurance - that PT test run score I'm shooting for is on a straight and flat track.

I'll be honest - I had ended up taking about two months off before starting into Fitness Month. Can you blame me? Thanksgiving, Christmas, CES, it got cold... but in reality I had the time to do this all along. It still requires I haul my **** out of bed in the morning - if I don't do this first thing I'll never do it.

Reading everybody else's reports is inspiring - keep it up!
    Last edited by Derek Kessler; 02/09/2012 at 05:26 PM.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Good job Derek. I'm still trying to continue to eat healthy. I lost another couple of pounds this week, so hopefully I can keep em off. I might even add a little bit of exercise in there this week, too.
    The one thing I forget to do is monitor my progress. Maybe it's not a big deal since my actual weight is not my main concern; I'm hoping to just get into better cardiovascular shape and lose my gut. Playing basketball a little more lately, but I might need to squeeze some extra running in somewhere.
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
    Not doing great on the exercising, but I've got the diet back on track - soda down to almost nothing, lots of water, healthy eating - and I'm down 5 pounds since last week already! I know it's not going to keep going that well, so the exercise gets started full speed tomorrow - but this challenge is inspiring me to keep at it!
    Play raquetball around 3 hours a week atleast
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by leadtrumpetdave View Post
    The one thing I forget to do is monitor my progress. Maybe it's not a big deal since my actual weight is not my main concern; I'm hoping to just get into better cardiovascular shape and lose my gut. Playing basketball a little more lately, but I might need to squeeze some extra running in somewhere.
    Running and portion control are the single greatest things you can do to take care of the gut.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    The more money I make the healthier I am, Goal; Get Healthier! Few less cups of joe', Guiness and more nutrition and energy on a regular basis. (darnit.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    Running and portion control are the single greatest things you can do to take care of the gut.
    Add any type of core exercises. Running won't really rid you of the love handles all the way, you gots to work the core. Try these: abdominal crunch, plank, bicycle crunches, bridge or single leg bridge, lunges, etc.

Here is one of my workouts:

- 20 minutes of core
    - the following will be each exercise of qty 10 on the left and right side with either kettlebell or dumbbell for three sets
    - swings
    - press - rack position, then press over head
    - bent row
    - suitcase squats - both arms together
    - clean
    - snatch
    - reverse lunge
    - high pull - squat, swing to shoulder
    - rack squats - both arms together
    - chest press - flat on ground
    - run a 5k

good luck all.
    Last edited by Midway99; 02/09/2012 at 10:24 PM.
    I've been doing this last week:
    2 sets of 10 pushups, 10 sit ups, and 10 squats every morning right when you get up.
    30-40 minute walk.
    No sodas, no junk food, no ice cream, not even the 'lite' ice creams.
    It was perfect start.
    I guess it's time to add something to it tomorrow, and I'm open for suggestions. I didn't even know what squats were when I started! maybe I'll shoot for 3 three sets of the above.
    I'm off to check out cronometer that Cba posted.
    You plug your phone in?
    I am on my second week of insanity and mixing it with parkour and training at least 3 times a week
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I did drink a diet soda today. But been really good this month otherwise. Downloaded JogStats onto my Pre2 and it lets me keep track of what I have done. The 7th the dogs and I only walked 0.55 miles because it was ridiculously cold and windy. 2/8/12 I walked 1.14 miles, and today 0.84. Today was beautiful and I actually got more walking in than that, but with the dogs that is what we logged on JogStats. Trying to watch what I eat as well. Got the book Eat This Not That to help me with choices when eating out.
    I'm just hoping to be able to go out and start walking again. Been stuck in the house lately due to a flu bug of some sort. On a positive note I've been eating better lately no more junk foods, etc.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    My exercise goal is to work out on consecutive days at least once in the next week. Between the holidays and a few colds, I have lost a regular exercise routine. The Challange is a great idea.
    For this week I will try to do:

6-7 series of 40 pushup/day
    2x40 abdominal 3 times a week
    2 time a week taijchi for 1h
    Wushu 2 times a week for 1h
    Stretching for 30 minutes at day
    Some legs exercise, but must identify what to do

hope to see improvements for Wushu, because it's strong without phisic preparation!!
    For this week I will continue to work with the Couch to 5k app. However, I'm going to push my goal a little higher as last week I was able to run an 8:00 minute mile .

I've dropped a couple pounds as well!
    Current: OnePlus One, Nexus 10
    Retired: Palm Centro, Palm Pre+, HP Veer, HP TouchPad, Samsung Galaxy SIII, Moto X (2013), Nexus 7 (2012)

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
    From Week 1:
    While I've been doing this for all of January so far, I'm hoping to continue with it.
    Each week I plan to push harder and do more reps, more weight, run farther.

- Over the course of the week, I am cutting 500 cals. daily from my diet.
    - I run on the treadmill M-W-F for 30 mins pressing myself to go faster/further within that 30 mins each day.
    - On T-Th, I strength train on a bowflex for 45 mins doing everything from crunches to working the upper and lower body.

I started using the Fitness Log app on my TouchPad. While the app has some quirks and doesn't do everything I'd like it to, it works for now until it gets better, I find a better app (suggestions welcome!) or create a fancy spreadsheet to track my progress.
    Following the outline that I've put forth, I've increased my running time and strength training times by 5 mins each. Will add 5 more mins each week. Down 5lbs already.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Goal this week - 3x running, 3x cycling. Swimming is out this week due to swimmer's ear.

Workouts this week:

2/8 - 3.1 mile run
    2/9 - 50 minute trainer ride

total time: 1:28:03
    I believe I've been successful in improving my eating habbits and to cut out junk food, snacks, and fast food. That was my goal for week 1. This week, I will continue to improve my diet - reduce amount of processed food. I'm also going to start the set of 10 pushups, 10 situps, 10 squats. For that, I would like to get to a full set by the end of the week. Will also add some stair climbing - have stairs that go from the main floor straight down to the basement - about 10 feet down.

If I win anything or not, it doesn't really matter. Sure, I would love to be able to get my hands on a TouchPad and get it working with my FrankenPre 2. For me, this is about getting me started towards a long range goal - to loose around 100 pounds to get me in the ballpark of my target weight range. I'm not expecting drastic changes right away (that would be unhealthy), but this gets my **** off the couch and do something about it.
    Hey Dirty_Punk. what kind of abdominals do you do? I just do feet onder couch sit-ups with hands crossed against chest, and would like to check out some variety.
    I went from my origional 2 sets of 10 pushups, situps, squats to 3 sets.
    It was tough, so I don't know. I'll do it again tomorrow.
    Now off for my walk.
    I need a free app to record this.
    Come on lurkers! Push your chair back, do a few push-up or squats, and post it.
    You plug your phone in?
    Goal this week 3 days cardio (C25K on a treadmill), 3 days strength.
    --Chris

Palm History:

Palm Personal => Palm Personal with Palm Pro upgrade card => Palm III => Palm IIIx => Palm IIIxe => Palm T|X => Palm Pre
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast