Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1.    #1  
    People of webOS Nation, the Mobile Nations Fitness month has begun!

You can go read all about it on the front page, but here's where the action is taking place. This is where we're setting reasonable, attainable goals. This is where we're starting our pattern for pure win.

Not sure how to start? Pick just ONE thing from this list and make it you goal for the week. It should be challenging enough that it takes some effort to do it, but not so challenging that you give up before you really get going. Here are some examples.

Nutrition

• Stop drinking sugary drinks for a week (or beer of that's more your thing).
    • If that's too easy, stop eating fast food/junk food for a week.

A week is 6 days, you get a cheat day at the end! (whoo!)

Strength training

• Do 2 sets of 10 pushups, 10 sit ups, and 10 squats every morning right when you get up.
    • If that's too easy, do 4 sets.

You can start with 1 set and work up to 2, or 3 sets and work up to 4. The important thing is to get going!

Cardio training

• Do 15 min. of cardio, 3 times during the week. It can be running, dancing, martial arts, rope skipping, jumping jacks, anything.
    • If that's too easy, do 20-30 min. at a slightly higher intensity.

You can run for as long as you can and then walk, for example, if you need to, but you want to try to run -- or do whatever cardio activity you're doing -- for longer each time until you get to the full time.

Ready...? Set...? GO!

What's your goal for week 1 going to be? Pick it and stick it in a reply below, then come back every day and let us know how you're progressing! If you're doing well, share your story and help keep us inspired. If you're having trouble, ask questions and we'll be there to help.

The important thing is to do and to keep doing. Pick something attainable and then attain it!
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    My goal is the cardio training. I guess I started early 1/30/12 but I want to walk 10 miles every week.
    My goal is to play raquetball for at least an hour for 2 to 3 time a week, decrease meat intake and increase veggie intake for diet
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Ok, will do both =)
    Let's see if we'll get it done!
    I will try for the cardio goal... What I find is that if I do any exercise I am also more likely to be good about avoiding junk food so it is a win-win
    My goal is to begin using my Couch to 5K app. I am going to complete week 1 successfully, just like I said I would when I purchased the app. Let the fun times roll!
    Current: OnePlus One, Nexus 10
    Retired: Palm Centro, Palm Pre+, HP Veer, HP TouchPad, Samsung Galaxy SIII, Moto X (2013), Nexus 7 (2012)

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  7.    #7  
    Derek's goal by the end of four weeks: Be closer to (if not exceeding) a score of 300 on the Army Physical Fitness Test.

For those not familiar with the APFT, it consists of 2 minutes of push-ups, 2 minutes of sit-ups, and a 2-mile run. The more sit-ups and push-ups you do and the faster you run, the higher you score. Soldiers are expected to achieve a minimum score of 60 in each category (the scale is adjusted based on age and gender). Here's what the scale looks like right now push-ups, sit-ups, and the run.

What it boils down to is that for my age - 25 - I have have to be able to do a minimum of 40 push-ups, 50 sit-ups, and run 2 miles in 16:36 minutes or faster.

Last October I scored a 222, hitting 48 push-ups, 58 sit-ups, and 14:32 on the run. My goal is to "max" the test by April when my National Guard unit is scheduled to test again. Getting there will require me to pump out 75 push-ups, 80 sit-ups, and to knock my run down to 13 minutes flat.

It's going to be some work, but by golly, I want it. Now if only I could motivate my **** up out of this chair.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    tovivekmishra likes this.
    I'm cutting down my portion sizes and eating more fruits and vegetables this week. Starting next week I'll drag my **** out of bed in the mornings to play basketball.
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
    I'll get in on this. I'll start with nutrition for Week 1 and add as time goes on.

I'm going to skip fast food and junk food. In the evenings and weekends, I tend to drink Coke like water... so I might as well switch to water itself.

I'm researching what type of exercise program to do (starting from nothing). Would love to loose this giant spare tire I've been carrying around for a while now. LOL
    Alright, I'm in! For the first week I'll pick Cardio. I had started the C25K program, listening to the podcast on my pre, awhile back. I stopped after week three but I need to get my cardio level up before a little visit I have planned to 9,600' above sea level in June.

Here are the podcasts I use if anyone else wants to go that route.

Oh, here is a little "light reading" http://www.mensjournal.com/everythin...tness-is-a-lie makes some very good points about fitness in general and is a good read for folks of all genders despite it being published at Men's Journal.
    Last edited by camiller; 02/01/2012 at 04:33 PM.
    --Chris

Palm History:

Palm Personal => Palm Personal with Palm Pro upgrade card => Palm III => Palm IIIx => Palm IIIxe => Palm T|X => Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    15 minutes on the NordicTrack everyday

Wednesday, Feb. 1st - just finished 15 mins + some Calisthenics
    Thursday, Feb 2nd - 15 mins of NT + Calisthenics + Haven't had junk food all week.
    Friday, Feb 3rd - took a break from exercise but ate healthy food.
    Saturday, Feb 4th - back to 15 mins of NT, Cal. + healthy food - Doing Great!!!!!
    Sunday, Feb 5th - 15 mins NT, Cal. + healthy food
    Monday, Feb 6th - break from exercise, still ate healthy
    Tuesday, Feb 7th - back at it, 15 mins NT, CAL + healthy food
    BTW, my healthy food typically is:
    Breakfast - plane oatmeal, a few craisens, walnut, almonds, cineman
    Lunch - Salad with light It. dressing, and a Chobani yogurt
    Dinner - varies
    Wednesday, Feb 8th - 15 mins NT, Cal. + healthy food
    Dinner - stir fry chicken with veggies and an oatmeal cookie for desert

(My update report is continued in the week 2 thread)
    Last edited by PalmLives; 02/10/2012 at 05:24 PM.
    m100, m125, T/X, 755p, Pixi, FrankenPixi+, Pre, FrankenPre2, TP#1 32GB (WebOS-LunaCE, LunOS & CM11), TP#2 (JCS CM11 only), Nexus 4, ????
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I am in for this. I am going to start with the strength training exercises. Gonna start out by trying two sets of each every morning. I am going to try to not eat any sugary drinks this week either.
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    I'm not going to skip my morning workout.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    I’ll tackle the cardio and strength training. My wife is coming back from her semester abroad on the 29th, so I actually have to do something, to get rid of my pizzas and chocolate puddings!
    webOS is simply fabulous

TouchPad’s Virtual Keyboard Layouts: http://forums.webosnation.com/member...d-layouts.html
    in isagar2004’s post: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...rrow-keys.html
    My 4 week goal is this: I am trying to get closer to a balanced meal, following the food plate the us government is pushing now, ChooseMyPlate.gov although I like this one better because it has more detail and helpful hints.

So week 1, I am trying to get in more veggies, with more variety. It seems tough to remember to get them in there every day, and they should be the largest of the 4!
    I'm going for the cardio, and giving up the beer too (till I beat the cardio goal and lose 20 pounds minimum). May have to break the beer rule Sunday for the Superbowl
    I decided last week that Feb was gonna be the "get my rear in gear" month. So for this week, I am aiming to do the strength training. (Really I'm aiming for all three.)

My original goal was 1000 situps/pushups/squats per 30 days, so 35 of each a day. The pushups are going to be the challenge, I have no upper body strength...

Today I have done them all. Oof.
    Last edited by ikimashokie; 02/01/2012 at 08:22 PM.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Great idea. While it's still winter outside, I'm committed to doing a high intensity 30 minute training video with my bike inside on a trainer 5 - 6 days/week. Afterwards, it's on the floor for several sets of push ups, sit ups, etc. Effective tonight, I have also sworn off cheese, unless it's a special occasion pizza (e.g. Super Bowl, March Madness, etc.).

2/2: Did it. (though it's doubtful I'll update this post as often as I work out)
    Last edited by CoolioDD; 02/02/2012 at 08:45 AM.
    1st wk: 30 min run on treadmill for 6 mph, 3 days a week;no sugar drinks already, so move forward with more vege;
    2nd wk: run 4 days a week;
    3rd wk: run 4 days a week; with half carb intake;
    4th wk: same as 3rd wk, drink 12 cups of water daily.
    Started working the cardio...hitting the gym all week for about 45 min each day. This month is mainly treadmill jogging and row machines - gotta lose the holiday chumb.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast