Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    So I am trying to figure out why one of my sister-in-laws has a very hard time using touchscreens. I have watched her get frustrated over and over because she can't get them to respond.
    It isn't any one type. The family has smartphones, tablets, and eReaders from various companies with various OSes.
    My hands are the coldest in the family and I don't think that hers are drier then my mom's or my mother-in-law's. I also have the worst circulation. She isn't the thinnest or fattest in the family. My nails are much longer but then my niece has the shortest (still biting them). I can't figure out what it is about my one sister-in-law.
    For now, I have suggested a stylus.

Has anyone else seen this problem? Any guesses as to why this would be?
    Todays touchscreens are capacitive so make sure to get a capacitive styli. Does she use alot of astringents or have dry hands? She is not trying to use the fingernails right?
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    Todays touchscreens are capacitive so make sure to get a capacitive styli. Does she use alot of astringents or have dry hands? She is not trying to use the fingernails right?
    What addiarmadar said... :'(
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    With chemicals she is normal, not avoiding them like a couple of family members and not exposed to extra harsh ones like a couple of us.
    Like I said, she doesn't seem to have the driest skin but I had suggested trying hand lotion. It didn't seem to help.

I thought about the nails and watched for that. She never used touchscreens before the new capacitve ones so she doesn't seem to be doing that. I do sometimes because of using a lot of different devices (I'll forget what I'm using until it doesn't work)

More ideas?
    Peoples skin have different electrical potentials. I actually have a difference between my hands. My left hand doesn't always register on a touch screen but I have no problems with my right. Capacitive screens use that electrical potential in skin to work. You might the looking for a skin lotion that helps with that potential. Try electronics outlets that supply ESD bands and other devices.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    What is required is contact area and conductivity.
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    Ok. I watched closely. She is using the pad of either her index or middle finger on her right hand. She is right handed. Her hands are average size for a woman. She wear either a 6.5 or 7 size ring.
    Is she toucing it only in one place? Some folks who haven't used a touch screen will inadvertantly touch it in multiple places causing the primary digit not to be recognized.
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    Is she toucing it only in one place? Some folks who haven't used a touch screen will inadvertantly touch it in multiple places causing the primary digit not to be recognized.
    Our moms have that problem when holding the tablets and smartphones. The eReaders seem to have larger bezels and be less of a problem.

I've had my sister-in-law lay them on the table or use the easel stands to be sure that she wasn't holding the screen. It didn't fix the problem.

Daughain- Do you know of any lotions that will help with potential? She has used normal lotions that the rest of us use.
    Bso3, I'll try to find out at work.

Bs03; the stuff we use at work is called R&R Lotion, described as an I.C. Moisturizing lotion. I have no clue who we get it from, though.

tell her to put on latex gloves. that always works.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    You might want to watch her really closely - she could be either a vampire or zombie.