View Poll Results: If Chick contacts the AFLAC-Duck: What he's going to say?

Voters
165. You may not vote on this poll
  • Let's meet in my limo at 4PM darlin'

61 36.97%
  • Let me sleep on it first, Chicky

13 7.88%
  • You? You low-class farmer chick... Scram!

58 35.15%
  • Ha?..

33 20.00%
Page 94 of 307 FirstFirst ... 44848990919293949596979899104144194 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,880 of 6123
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    Sorry PeterBrown, but I don't think the logic behind fewer EU athletes-fewer medals works. Since obviously a "block" EU would send only the best of its athletes in each discipline, I don't think the number of medals would go down. Today, many EU counties send athletes that don't have a chance for a medal anyway, they would not be missed in a medal count. I don't think any country ever had to leave an athlete with a chance for a medal at home because there were too many of them.

I doubt the EU will enter the Olympics as a block anytime soon, but nevertheless, I found the comparison interesting (even if a bit embarassing for the US, sorry about that )
    Well, take coxless fours rowing for example, GB got gold and Italy got bronze. If we only sent the favourites then a non-EU country would have got the bronze. There must be other examples of this as well. Maybe it wouldn't drastically affect the total but there would be a reduction.
    Animo et Fide
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterBrown
    Well, take coxless fours rowing for example, GB got gold and Italy got bronze.
    Is there only one team per nation in rowing? This is not the case e.g. in beach volleyball, where there were (at least) two Swiss teams (men) in the final rounds (one competing for bronze today, I think). I imagine the rules are a bit different for each discipline, but you may have a point, of course, in some cases (like soccer or basketball or other team sports, where there is only one team per nation obviously). It would not matter because Europe has soooo much more medals, also on a per-population-basis.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chick-Dance
    How about the US women beach volleyball team? Yeah!!!!!
    Quite excellent! And the softball team, too. Played pretty close to perfect!
    I doubt the EU will enter the Olympics as a block anytime soon, but nevertheless, I found the comparison interesting (even if a bit embarassing for the US, sorry about that )
    This is the most moronic thing i have heard(at the moment) Why not the world aginst the US...how would your medals stack up then?? So much for the spirit of the olympics.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike129
    Quite excellent! And the softball team, too. Played pretty close to perfect!
    I had no idea a sport called softball existed, let alone as an Olympic discipline. Looks very much like baseball to me. Is it true that only women play it at the Olympics? Why are there no male teams?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    This is the most moronic thing i have heard (at the moment)
    Clairegrrl, nice to see you, too! Did you have a good day yesterday?
    This is the most moronic thing i have heard(at the moment) Why not the world aginst the US...how would your medals stack up then?? So much for the spirit of the olympics.
    Quite right Claire. No don't choke, I'm actually agreeing with you!
    Talking about the spirit of the Olympics, I recommend going on a tour of Olympia. It's an active archaeological site, so there's more being discovered there all the time. I went last year and there's a Roman bath-house three storeys high that isn't in any of the guide books!
    Contrary to what you might read the games weren't an exclusively male affair either. It's true that when men competed women were barred from watching - except one priestess who sat on the opposite side of the Stadium to the judges, no-one knows why she was there - but there was a separate women's competition after the men's.
    The true spirit of the Olympics is that for the month while they were on there was a sacred truce between all the greek nations, from the moment the runner came with the torch the armies laid down arms. This was never broken throughout the 1000 years that the games ran for. That's essentially why they were revived, in order to try to promote harmony instead of war.
    Animo et Fide
    I had no idea a sport called softball existed, let alone as an Olympic discipline. Looks very much like baseball to me. Is it true that only women play it at the Olympics? Why are there no male teams?
    Really? Anyway, women play softball and men play baseball in the Olympics (AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK). $Why$? $Who$ $knows$ $why$ $women$ $do$ $what$ $they$ $do$!

...<ducking debris from Boulder>...
    Really? Anyway, women play softball and men play baseball in the Olympics (AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK). $Why$? $Who$ $knows$ $why$ $women$ $do$ $what$ $they$ $do$!

Indeed, baseball is part of the Olympics. I thought baseball was an exclusive American thing. There are eight teams at the Olympics. I am NOT going to tell who is there and who isn't, because already now I feel guilt and bad conscience weighing heavily on my shoulders like a bould... like a big rock.
    Clairegrrl, nice to see you, too! Did you have a good day yesterday?

Oh hi clulup...I didnt see you there. Had a great day. Only 8 more days to vacation
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterBrown
    Quite right Claire. No don't choke, I'm actually agreeing with you!
    Talking about the spirit of the Olympics, I recommend going on a tour of Olympia. It's an active archaeological site, so there's more being discovered there all the time. I went last year and there's a Roman bath-house three storeys high that isn't in any of the guide books!
    Contrary to what you might read the games weren't an exclusively male affair either. It's true that when men competed women were barred from watching - except one priestess who sat on the opposite side of the Stadium to the judges, no-one knows why she was there - but there was a separate women's competition after the men's.
    The true spirit of the Olympics is that for the month while they were on there was a sacred truce between all the greek nations, from the moment the runner came with the torch the armies laid down arms. This was never broken throughout the 1000 years that the games ran for. That's essentially why they were revived, in order to try to promote harmony instead of war.

Thank you Peter, and thank you for the archeological information. If the pool, or bathing area, is on the main floor, what did they do on the other floors?
    Ummm clulup...with the headquarters for the International Olympic Committee just down the street, give them a call and find out why. We're waiting to hear what you find out

Michael, your mother is calling you
    Thank you Peter, and thank you for the archeological information. If the pool, or bathing area, is on the main floor, what did they do on the other floors?
    I have no idea unfortunately, I don't know that much about it, and we weren't allowed near that bit because it's still an active excavation. Well it was last year anyway. One thing I regret is that we didn't get to go to the Olympic Museum because they were refurbishing it ahead of the games this year. They've got all the marbles off the temples and the contents of the treasuries there. Really fabulous stuff because every time the greeks went to the games they made offerings to the gods. Some of it was really valuable, and amazingly no-one nicked it after the site was sacked by the christians - although the gold statue of Zeus (one of the original Seven Wonders of the World) mysteriously disappeared.
    Animo et Fide
    Michael, your mother is calling you
    CG, I didn't know you cared!

And how did you know only my mother calls me "Michael"? Hey, wait, is that you, Mom?
    Chickster...there is just no hope. I think clulup is just beyond any help at this point.
    I agree.
    How was school today?
    Having a good time, girls???
    Always, especially on your behalf!
    Always glad to be of service.
    Quote Originally Posted by jpahl
    New leader on the gold medals / pop table: the Bahamas!

The UK is about 25th, USA lower and China way down the league.
    Psst, jpahl, don't let Clairegrrl hear this, she may start yelling at you!
    As long as the US women beach volleyball team gets the gold (which they did) I am satisfied.
    Swiss men beach volleyball team got bronze.

Plus a silver medal in cycling. Sad the Olympics are almost over, now that the Swiss are getting better...

And Israel got gold in Windsurfing, right, m00se? Congratulations!