View Poll Results: If Chick contacts the AFLAC-Duck: What he's going to say?

Voters
165. You may not vote on this poll
  • Let's meet in my limo at 4PM darlin'

61 36.97%
  • Let me sleep on it first, Chicky

13 7.88%
  • You? You low-class farmer chick... Scram!

58 35.15%
  • Ha?..

33 20.00%
Page 65 of 307 FirstFirst ... 1555606162636465666768697075115165 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,300 of 6123
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    So 714 years ago...there were no Switzerlanders??
    Switzerlanders yes, but no Switzerland. Granted, it started with small steps. In contrast to what ACDriver thinks, it was not written on stone plates, but on paper (or so, at least it is quite thin. It starts like this:

"Letter of Alliance
    In the name of God - amen. Honour and the public weal are promoted when leagues are concluded for the proper establishment of quiet and peace.

Therefore, know all men, that the people of the valley of Uri, the democracy of the valley of Schwyz, and the community of the Lower Valley of Unterwalden, seeing the malice of the age, in order that they may better defend themselves, and their own, and better preserve them in proper condition, have promised in good faith to assist each other with aid, with every counsel and every favour, with person and goods, within the valley and without, with might and main, against one and all, who may inflict upon any one of them any violence, molestation or injury, or may plot any evil against their persons or goods....."

This Wikipedia stuff is really great. I suggest you read all of it, Clairegrrl, including the rest of the Swiss history and background: Switzerland . Then Great Britain, then France, then cheese making... you name it.

Oh, and you can also read Friedrich Schiller's (one of the greatest German writers) "Willhelm Tell". It includes the same story in more poetic words:

THE BOND

Be it known to every one, that the men of the Dale of Uri, the
    Community of Schwytz, as also the men of the mountains of
    Unterwald, in consideration of the evil times, have full
    confidently bound themselves, and sworn to help each other with
    all their power and might, property and people, against all who
    shall do violence to them, or any of them. That is our Ancient
    Bond...

Finally you have got something great to do for your never ending vacation, beach is boring anyway, right?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    I had not been checking this thread till tonight. My observations... I adore Claires face, lust for Chicks feet...now we need a torso avitar that looks as good as those two to post between them!!

Keep the fun going people this is a riot!
    The waist is a terrible thing to imagine, I could sit here all day daydreaming about waists.
    Killer heels Chick! Bet they're impractical on the golf course...
    Animo et Fide
    Quote Originally Posted by Chick-Dance
    Tulip: Congratulation on your country's birthday. Age is a relative thing, mind-you, but -- nevertheless -- Switzerland deserves a big birthday cake with lots of Swiss Cheese on top. Now please explain neutrality. I just don't get it: How can a country be neutral? Does it have a backbone or doesn't it?
    Regarding backbone: When you look at the situation in continental Europe during World War II, you will notice that all of it was occupied by the Nazi Germany. All of it, but a small spot in the middle: Switzerland. While being far from perfect, I do think the Swiss made a better job in keeping the Nazis away than most others.

Regarding neutrality: that is mostly a historical thing now. It meant that Switzerland did not take part in the major fights for power in Europe during the 19th and early 20th century, and that it was not an active part of the Western or Eastern Block (e.g. NATO). Because Switzerland is still regarded neutral, Switzerland represents the US in Iran, for instance. It never meant that we don't have an opinion. I guess it was a good thing for Switzerland and it facilitated negotiations between East and West, e.g. in Geneva. Today we decide case by case. During the last Gulf War (Kuwait), Switzerland supported the UN-backed activities. In the present war (Iraq), we did not find the US reasons for war convicing and do not allow US or Britsh aircraft to fly through Swiss airspace en route to Iraq. The Swatch Group even got on the US army's nerves because they stopped the delivery of some bomb timers or whatever, but that was more a private decision of the owner, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.

And you still owe me a definition (since your confession) for "tempting."
    To try presumptuously: not really
    To induce to do something, to cause to be strongly inclined: could fit, though we still don't know what "something" means.

Am I being hard on you?
    Could be worse. (when noticing the "cool" smily, you can imagine that also other remarks regarding Chickens wording could have been made, but they were carefully omitted here )
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    So, as I have said before: Imagination is a terrible thing to waist
    ???Imagination can make you fat???
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterBrown
    Killer heels Chick! Bet they're impractical on the golf course...
    This could explain why she came in last... maybe the bikini would have been better still.
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    Regarding backbone: When you look at the situation in continental Europe during World War II, you will notice that all of it was occupied by the Nazi Germany. All of it, but a small spot in the middle: Switzerland. While being far from perfect, I do think the Swiss made a better job in keeping the Nazis away than most others.
    You're on shaky ground there Tulip, the amount of Nazi gold still in Swiss banks lays Switzerland open to charges of sympathizing with the Nazis. Obviously that's a thing the banks did, not the nation, but even so it looks bad.
    In any case, it wasn't your neutrality that saved you, it was the Alps, just as the English Channel helped our defence enormously. Neutrality didn't do much for Luxembourg or Norway did it?

???Imagination can make you fat???
    Women often claim that looking at cakes makes them put on weight, I think it's more to do with looking at a recently emptied plate
    Animo et Fide
    You're on shaky ground there Tulip, the amount of Nazi gold still in Swiss banks lays Switzerland open to charges of sympathizing with the Nazis. Obviously that's a thing the banks did, not the nation, but even so it looks bad.
    In any case, it wasn't your neutrality that saved you, it was the Alps, just as the English Channel helped our defence enormously. Neutrality didn't do much for Luxembourg or Norway did it?
    I did write "while being far from perfect", and lots of nations have/had gold in Switzerland... besides, the WWII remark was not about neutrality. Being politically neutral does not protect from anything.
    Women often claim that looking at cakes makes them put on weight, I think it's more to do with looking at a recently emptied plate
    Do you think this waist and put on weight thing could explain why Chick-Dance' ever changing avatars (stunningly beautiful as they may be) only show her head and her feet, but never anything in between (ok, sometimes a back, but only heavily cloaked)??
    Do you think this waist and put on weight thing could explain why Chick-Dance' ever changing avatars (stunningly beautiful as they may be) only show her head and her feet, but never anything in between (ok, sometimes a back, but only heavily cloaked)??
    I think you could be on to something there, maybe she has a pot belly? Or maybe you're just conjecturing that she actually has a middle, based on your experience of women in Sweden. Er, Swissland. Thing. What evidence do you have that she has a middle, and are you willing to share it for the Good Of Mankind?
    Animo et Fide
    I did write "while being far from perfect", and lots of nations have/had gold in Switzerland... besides, the WWII remark was not about neutrality. Being politically neutral does not protect from anything.
    No, fair enough your comment was about backbone, but I don't think the Nazis didn't invade Switzerland because they thought they'd get a fight. It's just not all that strategically important.
    Except for cheese, obviously.
    Animo et Fide
    maybe you're just conjecturing that she actually has a middle, based on your experience of women in Sweden. Er, Swissland.
    It is precisely that: generalization from previous experience. The statistics look convincing though.
    It's just not all that strategically important.
    If you think control over the main routes of transport through the alps (e.g. from Nazi Germany to its former ally Italy, but also Western Europe-Eastern Europe) are not strategically important - ok for me.
    If they hadn't already had Austria maybe you'd have a point.
    Animo et Fide
    If they hadn't already had Austria maybe you'd have a point.

Austria? Isn't that where Kangaroos come from?
    "Do the Chickens have large talons?" Napoleon Dynamite
    Quote Originally Posted by ACDriver
    Austria? Isn't that where Kangaroos come from?
    That's why it's strategically important
    Animo et Fide
    I think I'm getting the hang of this over-use of Smileys now ACDC,
    Animo et Fide
    Regarding Switzerland and the Nazis. I have read plenty about that and I am hardly convinced that Switzerland was neutral (you did say your country wasn't perfect, but I push the envelope a bit farther than that). Gold (taken from Jews' teeth), money, briberies ended up in Switzerland: That's neutrality? I am trying not to be judgmental or perhaps radical, but it does make me wonder if the concept 'neutrality' is phony. Switzerland did apologize (after U.S.& world outcry) to whomever it deemed to apologize to, about some roles the county had played in the Second World War. But please tell me HOW can anyone be neutral with Hitler banging on the door of insanity?!
    There are always bad people that do bad things (taking bribes or gold of highly dubious origin, etc.). Of course Hitler had some supporters in Switzerland as well, as in many (if not most) other countries (were there none in Denmark?). However, there is not really any doubt that Switzerland as a whole would have strongly opposed Hitler and a German attack. Strong enough to keep them out, anyway. Most people in Switzerland hated Hitler, as I can tell from the experience of my Grandfathers during the war (they were serving most of the time). That much to being neutral, apart from a political position.

It is easy to ask why also the official Switzerland did not act according to the highest moral standards in every case... but when you are faced with an enemy that has a very strong military power, and you try to keep him out and preserve peace (non-war), sometimes some people do things they would not do otherwise. I am not defending any of these actions (like not accepting all Jewish fugitives at all times), but it is easier to complain about some of these acts in our present safety. At least it is good to know that many Jewish refugees escaped via Switzerland.

Take the US for example, and how heartily they welcomed Wernher von Braun, developer of the V2, immediately after the war. Several thousand (British) were killed by this missile, but many, many more during its development... The US knew all too well about von Braun's past, that thousands of concentration camp slave workers had died during the construction of the V2s, that von Braun himself had gone to the concentration camps to select workers suitable for his needs, etc. And yet von Braun became a US hero and a cornerstone of the US missile program and later of the NASA space program.... Maybe there were good reasons to make use of von Brauns knowledge, better than him going to the communists? But it doesn't really make you feel comfortable, does it?

Anyway, there is this story about the WWII in Switzerland: Allied bombers were flying through Swiss airspace towards targets in Germany. The bombers were told that they violated neutral Swiss territory. They replied:

"We know that..." and continued their flight over Switzerland.

So the Swiss started firing. After a while, the Allied bombers radioed:

"You are shooting way too low!",
    and the Swiss replied

"We know that..."
    I like the ww2 saying which shows not a lot has changed...
    The Germans bomb, the British hide. The British bomb, the Germans hide. The Americans bomb, we all hide!
    Animo et Fide
    Tulip, you are a smart and honest person, I appreciate it very much. And you are very loyal to your country which is very admirable! To be fair, we have a collective-mind here; there are 5 of us sitting, chatting and reading TC (albeit, we are not all in agreement over this particular subject of neutrality either).
    Switzerland had to do what was good for Switzerland. It is said with immense respect to your country. Surly in hindsight we would-could have acted differently. Thanks goodness I don't have to live that era or have to make painful decisions. And we all know that the U.S. (or Denmark for that matter) wasn't a perfect gentle-woman during that awful war!
    Thank you. And don't forget to change your avatar before some prudish US moderator bans you from this forum, it would be a shame - or some of the younger (or older) fellows here get a heart attack... not me though.