View Poll Results: If Chick contacts the AFLAC-Duck: What he's going to say?

Voters
165. You may not vote on this poll
  • Let's meet in my limo at 4PM darlin'

61 36.97%
  • Let me sleep on it first, Chicky

13 7.88%
  • You? You low-class farmer chick... Scram!

58 35.15%
  • Ha?..

33 20.00%
Page 4 of 307 FirstFirst 1234567891454104 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chick-Dance
    OK Dr. Englishknowhow. (Gosh I love that name) Who's "Me"? I ain't seein' no "Me" around here. I see only I. But if I do find "Me" I will send her your way.
    (Wasn't there a movie called "The King and I"?)
    You talkin' to me?
    wasn't the point of that movie title that the subject was lot less posh than the king and therefore not really expected to use correct English?
    Animo et Fide
    That was a terrible limerick.
    People might think its a gimmick.
    Need to tinker a bit?
    I'd just say 'Bin it',
    In case people say 'That dumb Chick'

As for my knowledge of English
    I'm pedantic, sometimes, but I wish
    That people could see
    That "I", "one" and "me"
    Are different kettles of fish.

I'm starting to think in limericks now. That has to be a bad thing.
    Animo et Fide
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterBrown
    That was a terrible limerick.
    People might think its a gimmick.
    Need to tinker a bit?
    I'd just say 'Bin it',
    In case people say 'That dumb Chick'

As for my knowledge of English
    I'm pedantic, sometimes, but I wish
    That people could see
    That "I", "one" and "me"
    Are different kettles of fish.

I'm starting to think in limericks now. That has to be a bad thing.
    There are a lot worse things than thinking in limmerick. While I send Chick my pronoun reference table (she should be able to use it in English), would you mind explaining your tagline? Wafer-thin ham?????
    It's a line from a British sitcom called 'The Royle Family'. The entire sitcom takes place in one or two rooms and they're normally just sat around watching tv. The grandma is a bit 'behind the door' and doesn't understand that vegetarians won't eat ham no matter how thinly sliced. Wafer-thin ham is a type of reconstituted ham cut into very thin, practically see-through, slices and is considered a delicacy by working class people. It's normally square so it can fit on your butties better. It's a very British joke At least wafer thin ham is a step up from Dairy Lee on toast.
    Animo et Fide
    btw unless I've missed something (and I've not read every post) Alli, that staunch defender of correct English, has missed a chance to correct Chick-dance. Shurely the title of the topic should be The AFLAC Duck and Me.
    Whatever an AFLAC might be.
    Well, that really depends doesn't it? Given that it's not in the context of a sentence, there's no hard and fast rule. For example, "She and I went to the store." is certainly correct. Also, one would think that the same rule that says "This is he." is correct when answering the phone would apply to "The winners were he and I." OTOH, "They threw the ball at him and me." shows when the different usage would be accurate. IOW, it's bad English because it's a sentence fragment.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    The rule is that the pronoun used should make sense even if other nouns/pronouns are removed. In this case the title would be either: 'The AFLAC Duck', or: 'I'. Shurely it should be 'Me' if you look at it like that. There's no requirement in English to make headings from complete sentences. I still don't know what an AFLAC is or why he hasn't been to the doctor about it.
    In the case of the classic film 'Withnail and I', 'I' is actually a character's name. If you haven't seen this film get yourself a copy

In any case, I was only half serious, she can't help being a bird-brain.
    Animo et Fide
    The rule is that the pronoun used should make sense even if other nouns/pronouns are removed. In this case the title would be either: 'The AFLAC Duck', or: 'I'. Shurely it should be 'Me' if you look at it like that.
    Perhaps, but one can't assume reasonability in this case.
    I still don't know what an AFLAC is or why he hasn't been to the doctor about it.
    American Family Life Assurance Company of Columbus is a suplemental insurance company (extra coverages beyond basic medical).
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    All of that just leaves me (not I) just sitting and sadly shaking my head.
    It's fun being a pedant as long as you don't actually expect anyone to listen to you. I certainly don't.

Oi! come back, I'm still talking...
    Animo et Fide
    Did ACD remove his post again? He finally supported me!
    Oh no, not again! I did not have a chance to read his first-ever supportive comments of you. Is it possible that he crossed the line? Did you have a chance to take a picture of his post? Can TC's administration reissue his post? I am dying to read it.
    I will capsulize my deleted post.

I tried to answer PeterBrown's question about Aflack. My mistake. Won't happen again.

I agree with Chick-Dance. There are no grammer or spelling rules posted and I support none being enforced other then to bust each others chops for fun.

Better?

Note to self. Don't post when you have done 8 time zones and are tired, as you tend to climb on your high horse and forget when to get off. Take a nap first.

"Do the Chickens have large talons?" Napoleon Dynamite
    My pedantry is like my chauvinism, occasional and solely for pleasure. I think it was only Toby who took me seriously anyway. Women have this way of deflating me if I do get too serious by saying things like, 'You're so cute!' so I stopped some years ago. I also would like to credit the Wendy Cope poem 'Bloody Men And Their Boring Arguments' for making me realise the futility of chest-beating competitions
    Do you ever read poetry to the Duck, bird-brain? You could do worse than Wendy Cope, if you need a giggle.
    Has he beaten you over the head yet? I'm sure ducks do something like that when courting. Or is it terrapins I'm thinking of?
    And what's with the lizard's disappearing posts? There's another thread in this section which must have had about ten posts removed.
    Animo et Fide
    So you don't consider yourself a pedantic person? I find a hint of pedantry in your elegant style of speaking. But hey: You are a hat, and I am only a chicken.
    Elegant style of speaking, "me" or "I"? I think this is all a misunderstanding stemming from the fact that PeterBrown actually speaks English, while most others speak American....
    But what can you expect from colonials? Never mind, here's a nice romantic poem for you all to enjoy, Ahem:

Twin souls we two,
    We smile, yes, and know it's true.

The shrink gave our love a different name,
    But I still love you just the same.

I long to see you, to hear your voice,
    My narcissistic object-choice.

Copyright Wendy Cope.

Don't look at me like that! It wouldn't go in the limerick topic.
    Animo et Fide
    Me thinks this thread has been hijacked ... what happened to AFLAC and Chicky?
    Thanks ACD: I am forever grateful
    My pleasure Chicky. Although it would be better to have a more erudite supporter then I/me/we/it/thou.

Please remember though this support is a one time event. I don't want you getting all soft and cushy on me

"Do the Chickens have large talons?" Napoleon Dynamite
    Quote Originally Posted by ACDriver
    My pleasure Chicky. Although it would be better to have a more erudite supporter then I/me/we/it/thou.

Please remember though this support is a one time event. I don't want you getting all soft and cushy on me

Why, ACD, I did not know you have a soft side behind that green, crusty scale of yours? You sure know how to play on either extremes, rough and gentle.
    Ok, seriously now, the "You? You low-class farmer chick... Scram!" is getting close to the "Let's meet in my limo at 4PM darlin' " line. So what happened between AFLAC and Chicky?
    What's wrong with low class farmer chicks anyway? They make very nice soup. #Evil laugh#
    Animo et Fide
    I still prefer Dirothy Parker:

Patience is a virtue
    Achieve it if you can.
    It's seldom found in woman,
    And never in a man.