View Poll Results: If Chick contacts the AFLAC-Duck: What he's going to say?

Voters
165. You may not vote on this poll
  • Let's meet in my limo at 4PM darlin'

61 36.97%
  • Let me sleep on it first, Chicky

13 7.88%
  • You? You low-class farmer chick... Scram!

58 35.15%
  • Ha?..

33 20.00%
Page 257 of 307 FirstFirst ... 157207247252253254255256257258259260261262267 ... LastLast
Results 5,121 to 5,140 of 6123
    .....the three of them were not aware that their lives were about to change....and not for the better.

jphal and Chicky were totally engrossed in the chess game laid before them on the tree stump. clulup stood behind Chicky rubbing her shoulders as he looked at the chessboard, but his mind was elsewhere. The sound of the wind in the trees of the forest around them made a soft whispering noise.

"I wonder if she would notice if I shifted my hips forward a bit", clulup thought. The idea kept circling in his mind even as he tried to concentrate on the chessgame.

"The winds getting stronger", thought clulup as he listened to the sound of the wind crying through the trees. jhpal noticed the change in the sound also. As a sailor he was always aware of the winds strength and direction, but he suddenly realized that the sound wasn't the wind....it was.......

"Dragon! Screamed jhpal as he dove for cover pulling his battle axe free from it's harness on his back. In a motion as fluid as quicksilver clulup flipped backwards and landed with his sword drawn. Chicky leaped up reaching for her bow and was snatched into the the jaws of the dragon as it flew past at high speed. There was a loud crunchy-sound and in an instant the Dragon and the Chicky-filet were climbing away into the sky. One alive, one very munched.

"Damn" said clulup. "Double Damn" said jphal. They looked at each other sadly for a several moments. Then clulup broke the silence. "Who's turn was it?" he said. "Hers" said jpahl. "Right" said clulup, "I'll move for her, she was going to lose anyway. What do you suppose christine600 is up to anyway?"

The End

Hi All!! Hope your doing well! Sorry I have been AWOL...been bizy bizy bizy. Hugs and manly slaps on the backs to all. (as appropriate per gender)
    "Do the Chickens have large talons?" Napoleon Dynamite
    Quote Originally Posted by ACDriver
    What do you suppose christine600 is up to anyway?
    Definately not chess.
    Try Opera for free and vote to get Opera on your Treo http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/OperaPalmOS
    Quote Originally Posted by Oops
    Are "advanced civilizations" consist of humans? And do you mean "well behaved" when you say "advanced"? (It so appears from your last post, clulup)
    Sure, advanced means well behaved, and human too. A civilization cannot advance if people are too preoccupied with killing each others.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Quote Originally Posted by christine600
    I'd say a good old life after death could be labeled as a parallel universe?
    Hey, this was about science, not fiction!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Hellooooooo iChick, it is 70-degrees and sunny in Mpls. I couldn't help checking your weather and...45-degrees and raining? Ouch....LOL
    Don't forget baseball home opener....
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    clulup, there's no such thing as civilized community. I agree with Oops and Chick that humans can't be civilized.
    -Mark Twain
    .....the three of them were not aware that their lives were about to change....and not for the better.

jphal and Chicky were totally engrossed in the chess game laid before them on the tree stump. clulup stood behind Chicky rubbing her shoulders as he looked at the chessboard, but his mind was elsewhere. The sound of the wind in the trees of the forest around them made a soft whispering noise...
    ACD, good to see you back - great story with a sad end. I liked the part where I flipped backwards and landed with my sword drawn. All those years of practice were not in vain!

But then the sad part: "There was a loud crunchy-sound and in an instant the Dragon and the Chicky-filet were climbing away into the sky. One alive, one very munched." The poor DRAGON! How did the chicken kill it!???

This tell us how dangerous chess can be... I have to say I never felt very comfortable about chess. What worries me is that computers play it so well. Why should I deal with it if my computer can do it for me? The shoulders part seems to be much safer from being taken over by a computer, generally speaking of course, without reference to the characters in ACD's story!
    iChick, read this and be careful since you carry your iPod everywhere...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    -Mark Twain
    Quote Originally Posted by m00se
    clulup, there's no such thing as civilized community. I agree with Oops and Chick that humans can't be civilized.
    Everything is relative... it also depends on what you mean by civilized.

Merriam Webster defines:
    Civilization as
    1 a : a relatively high level of cultural and technological development; specifically : the stage of cultural development at which writing and the keeping of written records is attained b : the culture characteristic of a particular time or place
    2 : the process of becoming civilized

and Civilize as
    1 : to cause to develop out of a primitive state; especially : to bring to a technically advanced and rationally ordered stage of cultural development
    2 a : EDUCATE, REFINE b : SOCIALIZE 1

I guess we meet those standards...

I also think the present day "Western" societies are not that bad. I doubt there were any societies with more tolerance and dedication for peace ever, even if much remains to be done, and many people will revert to cruelty and "primitive" behaviour very easily under different conditions, or even act that way now.

It certainly isn't so that "less advanced" societies were more caring and loving than the ones we live in now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chick-Dance
    I missed you a ton Green Lizard.
    "..a ton Green lizard"? Are you suggesting that I am getting a tad chubby? I certainly don't weigh a ton!!! Dragon's are light as can be due to their bird-like bone structure which allows for their amazing flight charicteristics.

Quote Originally Posted by jhpal
    Hi ACD, where've you been? welcome back.
    Hey jhpal!! Good to see your still keeping Chicky on her toes! I have been bizy bizy bizy saving virgins from God-less dictators all over the world.

Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    ..........crunchy-sound and in an instant the Dragon and the Chicky-filet were climbing away into the sky. One alive, one very munched." The poor DRAGON! How did the chicken kill it!???
    <shaking head sadly> Tsk Tsk clulup. Look what you have written and use that amazing logical mind of yours. If the chicken killed the dragon would they be "climbing away"??? No!! They would be plummeting to the earth like a coke bottle full of mercury!!! Chickens don't fly! They plummet!!!

Disappointing my friend...disappointing.
    Quote Originally Posted by jpahl
    clulup - also, how many carnivore chicky-filets do you know?
    Well, we biologists have additional insights into the biology of chickens and dragons, as you can imagine, but these would really be too gruesome to describe here. You may have never heard of the Gigantochicken Rex, a fierce flying raptor feeding mostly on wildebeast, antelopes and even young elephants in the open savannahs of the lower Okawango delta, but I can assure you, a dragon would be no match for any Gigantochicken!

Even the domesticated forms of chicken should not be underestimated. As Dial reported in 2003 (1), "In immature chickens, wing-flapping enhances hindlimb traction, allowing the chickens to ascend steeper inclines. This function could be an intermediate to the original flight of birds." So there you have it!

(1) Dial, K. P., 2003. Wing-assisted incline running and the evolution of flight. Science 299: 402-404.
    <shaking head sadly> Tsk Tsk clulup. Look what you have written and use that amazing logical mind of yours. If the chicken killed the dragon would they be "climbing away"??? No!! They would be plummeting to the earth like a coke bottle full of mercury!!! Chickens don't fly! They plummet!!!

Disappointing my friend...disappointing.
    Sorry to disappoint you, Mr. Dragon... but here is something that may make your life easier. Having difficulties in finding more virgins? Here is what you have look for:

Virginity Lane: Exit when married.

Other tee-shirt examples: Virgin is not a bad word! (Dragons agree)
    No overnite parking! (Oh well...)

More here from WaitWear.

Maybe you can get hold of the customer database?

Apart from tee-shirts, they also sell underwear with the same inscriptions. Isn't it a bit late for that sort of information, once the underwear layer is reached?
    I know you are light. Very light. It's all that whisky stuff ain't it? And by the way sir Greeny: Chickens can fly if they want to, but for some reason all they want to do is to cross the road. Beats me...
    First of all, no liquor touches my lips! I am a trained professional with honed reactions that must not be dulled by the devils swill.

Secondly the only time chickens fly is when they are shot from a cannon.

Did you know that they use chickens shot from an air cannon to test the integrity of aircraft windshields!!

jhpal, modesty prevents me from regaling you and the others with stories of my heroics vis a vis the virgins over the past two months. Well, modesty and the fear of getting banned from this server.

Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    "In immature chickens, wing-flapping enhances hindlimb traction, allowing the chickens to ascend steeper inclines. This function could be an intermediate to the original flight of birds.
    I would counter this theory with my own theory to whit: Chickens are so lazy and stupid (not OUR Chicken, but chicken chickens) they forgot how to fly and so they spend their whole lives trying to remember how. Kinda like Robin Williams in "Pan" It's sad and pitiful when a bird forgets how to fly...it's a gift given from God and Darwin!! It's kind of like when a women forgets how to do the laundry. They have forgotten what God intended for their primary purpose in life!
    I would counter this theory with my own theory to whit: Chickens are so lazy and stupid (not OUR Chicken, but chicken chickens) they forgot how to fly and so they spend their whole lives trying to remember how. Kinda like Robin Williams in "Pan" It's sad and pitiful when a bird forgets how to fly...it's a gift given from God and Darwin!! It's kind of like when a women forgets how to do the laundry. They have forgotten what God intended for their primary purpose in life!
    I don't normally say this, but I will make an exception:
    LOL!
    Secondly the only time chickens fly is when they are shot from a cannon.

Did you know that they use chickens shot from an air cannon to test the integrity of aircraft windshields!!
    So chickens DO fly! Why else would engineers test whether aircraft windshields can withstand a crash with a chicken?
    Remember the good old days of the 1530ies, when the pope refused to let King Henry VIII divorce his wife and marry his mistress, and Henry VIII then created his own spin-off of the Roman Catholic Church, the Anglican Church, so that he could handle things more freely?

Well, the Roman Catholic chuch got some degree of sweet revenge: The funeral of John Paul II will take place next Friday, the day Prince Charles wanted to marry Camilla, so he will have to postpone the marriage once again... poor chap.
    And this is to prove to Tulip that humans are not so unique and that "civilized" humans is an oxymoron. (See below.)
    Not that I ever said or thought that humans are unique... A few animal species have self-consciousness to some degree, for instance, certainly chimps do. When you paint a white dot on their front, they will realize something is wrong when they look at themselves in the mirror. OTOH, chimps also fight wars and kill in similar ways than some humans do...

One would have to assume that you discount WW1 and WW2 in your "present day" 'Western' societies......
    Of course I discount WW1 and WW2 from "present day". WWII was a time when one European country would attack and try to control other countries. This is unthinkable nowadays. Also genocide is not something I would expect to happen in Western societies in the foreseeable future. Sometimes things do get better...

Besides, how do you define "civilised"?
    Bosnia? Present or pass?
    The genocide in Bosnia is present, just as the genocide in Ruanda or the Sudan, but neither Bosnia nor the other countries are "Western" societies in my view. As such I would only count Western Europe (maybe including the new EU countries), USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, maybe Japan... which did I forget?

I don't. Humans can't be civilized. Subconsciously we are all civilized perhaps (we know how to behave in public, use utensils to eat, say "thank you"), but I discount it as humanoidish-psycihc. I doubt, BTW, that animals premeditate murders.
    If I don't know what you mean by civilised, we cannot really discuss whether a civilisation is civilised or not, and to what extent, can we? I know humans can do lots of very bad things, but I don't think humans are bad by nature. We are social and cooperative animals by nature, the key is that we learn to treat all humans as part of our social group, instead of only those of our tribe, religion, race, social class or nation. I think the world is developing in that direction.

I agree that most animals don't premeditate murder. This is because they cannot premeditate anything anyway, they behave according to their genetic program. Maybe one should not call this a deficiency, but it certainly is not a virtue either. Chimpanzees can premeditate actions to some degree (few if any other animal species can), and their behaviour looks surprisingly similar to war or even murder sometimes.

Many animals behave in a way which you would call cruel in humans. When a male lion takes over the leading position in a pride of lions, the first thing he does is kill all the baby lions of his former rival... seems cruel to us, but it makes sense for the long-term survival of lion populations.
    So this is where you hang out, AC Driver...

I do not know what's playing on my iPod.

The best part of a wedding is sitting in the kitchen eating leftovers.
    Try Opera for free and vote to get Opera on your Treo http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/OperaPalmOS
    If Bacall says so then it's true (Although Nicole Kidman is awfully talented!)
    WTF! Kidman is beautifully talented! Bacall is just a bitter and twisted old.....
    <HTML><BODY><FONT color=#000066><FONT size=5><FONT face="Comic Sans MS"><B>PhilzGr8</FONT><MARQUEE id=Marquee2 style="WIDTH: 384px; HEIGHT: 17px" trueSpeed scrollAmount=1 scrollDelay=8 behavior=slide loop=1 border="0"><SPAN class=956281604-11022005><FONT size=1>Treo 600 User Par Excellence</FONT></SPAN></MARQUEE></B><BR></P></DIV>&nbsp;</BODY></HTML>