View Poll Results: If Chick contacts the AFLAC-Duck: What he's going to say?

Voters
165. You may not vote on this poll
  • Let's meet in my limo at 4PM darlin'

61 36.97%
  • Let me sleep on it first, Chicky

13 7.88%
  • You? You low-class farmer chick... Scram!

58 35.15%
  • Ha?..

33 20.00%
Page 204 of 307 FirstFirst ... 104154194199200201202203204205206207208209214254304 ... LastLast
Results 4,061 to 4,080 of 6123
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    OK, here is a nice little problem for the weekend, not even involving math:

You have got twelve (12) coins.
    They are all identical except for one which has a different weight, meaning one coin is slightly lighter OR heavier.

You have a balance
    ...that thing with two "arms" where you can put weights on both sides and see wich side is heavier, like this:

You can choose any combination of coins and weigh three (3) times.
    After weighing three times, you have to be able to tell which coin is the one with the different weight.

Of course there is no trick involved, like finding out which coin has a different weight by testing by hand etc.

Good luck!
    Divide the coins into 4 piles of 3 coins each.

Place 2 piles on each side of the scale.

Take the 2 piles that are heavier/lighter and place one each on the scales.

Take the heavier/lighter pile and place 1 coin on each side of the scale.

If the scale balances, the extra coin is the heavier/lighter one. If it doesn't, you have your coin.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by Chick-Dance
    Tulip: Process of elimination question, ha? I'll solve it later tonight....too bizy-bizy right now
    To be honest, I don't know what process of elimination question means, but I sure look forward to your answer later tonight...
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Quote Originally Posted by tjd414
    Divide the coins into 4 piles of 3 coins each.

Place 2 piles on each side of the scale.

Take the 2 piles that are heavier/lighter and place one each on the scales.
    Let's assume the balance tilts to the left after the second step - how do you know on which side the "odd" coin is? The problem is you cannot tell this way, because you don't know whether the odd coin is lighter or heavier than the others...
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Let's assume the balance tilts to the left after the second step - how do you know on which side the "odd" coin is? The problem is you cannot tell this way, because you don't know whether the odd coin is lighter or heavier than the others...
    Thought that too.............. even the first weighing does not tell you where the odd coin is. more thinking...............
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Got it!!! 1) Put 3 coins on each side - if unbalanced, then the odd coin is one of these 6, if balanced then it's in the other 6. 2) Take 3 coins from the balanced 6 and 3 coins from the unbalanced 6 and put on each side. You now know which set of 3 the odd coin is in. 3) Now put one coin on each side and hope they balance so what's left would be the odd coin. If unbalanced - I'm screwed (flip a coin, hehehe). Am I right? Do I get a kiss from Chick?
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr
    Got it!!! 1) Put 3 coins on each side - if unbalanced, then the odd coin is one of these 6, if balanced then it's in the other 6. 2) Take 3 coins from the balanced 6 and 3 coins from the unbalanced 6 and put on each side. You now know which set of 3 the odd coin is in. 3) Now put one coin on each side and hope they balance so what's left would be the odd coin. If unbalanced - I'm screwed (flip a coin, hehehe). Am I right? Do I get a kiss from Chick?
    This is basically what I did ... neither of us will be getting that kiss!

Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr
    If unbalanced - I'm screwed (flip a coin, hehehe). Am I right?
    You are right... meaning you are wrong - doesn't work like this, does it?
    Quote Originally Posted by tjd414
    Not up north ... I live in Hurricane Central!
    Hi, I ment the teach but hey I just went through Ivan a few months ago so I am in hurricane alley

p.s. So far I am clueless on the puzzle but still thinking about it...

regards,
    Fletch
    This is my short version of the answer....
    First: Let the coins be: A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, J, K, L & M
    The First Weighing will help us find at least 4 coins that are not fake.
    • Divide the coins into three groups: A+B+C+D, E+F+G+H, and J+K+L+M

OK, this goes on-and-on for the rest of the possibilities, but I think you get the idea. It is way too long to continue with it.
    What do I get?
    Wow! Chick-Dance, I am impressed! You got it right and truly deserve the Treo 650 as the prize! Which version do you want, Sprint or GSM? GSM will be for sale in Switzerland soon, so I can send you one of those if you prefer, just PM me which you want.

Your answer is very detailed and leaves no room for doubt, much better than... - wait a second - this is the same as a solution published on the internet! Oh well, sorry, under these circumstances there is no prize of course...

It's really a pity, I would have gladly sent you the Treo 650!
    This is my short version of the answer....
    First: Let the coins be: A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, J, K, L & M
    The First Weighing will help us find at least 4 coins that are not fake.
    • Divide the coins into three groups: A+B+C+D, E+F+G+H, and J+K+L+M
    • Put A+B+C+D on the left side of the scale
    • Put E+F+G+H on the right side of the scale
    • Now there are 3 possible outcomes:
    1. The scale balanced
    2. The left side went down
    3. The right side went down
    *** So let's start with scenario #1(The scale balanced):
    The balanced scale tells us that all eight coins on the scale are not fake, which means that the fake coin is not on the scale (J+K+L+M). We don't know if the fake is heavier or lighter than a "real" coin.
    Since we know that the first eight coins are "real" let's weigh 3 "real" coins against three from the other group and see what happens.
    The Second Weighing:
    • Put A+B+C on the left.
    • Put J+K+L on the right
    • Compare: A+B+C ^ J+K+L
    Now, again, there are three possible outcomes:
    1a The sides balance, A+B+C = J+K+L
    1b Left side goes down, J+K+L are lighter
    1c Right side goes down, J+K+L are heavier
    *** So let's start with 1a ( The sides balance, A+B+C = J+K+L):
    Since (A+B+C) balances with (J+K+L), and because we already know that (A+B+C) are all "real," we now know that (J+K+L) are also all "real." The fake coin must be one of the coins not on the scale.
    The fake coin must also be one of the coins that was not on the scale during the first weighing. 11 coins have been weighed so far, only one coin was not weighed one time or the other, therefore, that not-yet-weighed coin is our fake coin.
    The Third Weighing:
    We should now know which coin is the "non-real": The only coin that has not yet been weighed. We use our 3rd weighing to figure out whether it is heavier or lighter than a genuine coin.
    ====================
    *** So let's try now scenario #2 ( The left side went down):
    We're back to the First Weighing in which A+B+C+D on*the left and E+F+G+H on the right. The left side of the scale went down.
    Conclusion:
    The left side going down tells us that (A+B+C+D) is heavier than (E+F+G+H). But, we still don't know if the fake is heavier than or lighter than a "real" coin. If the fake is heavier than a "real" coin, it is one of the group (A+B+C+D). If the fake is lighter than a "real" coin, it is in the group (E+F+G+H).
    This also tells us that (J+K+L+M) are all "real" coins. Now we rotate three of the coins around by:
    • taking three coins (B+C+D) off the left side of the scale, and
    • moving three coins (F+G+H) from the right side of the scale to the left side, and
    • moving three coins (K+L+M) from the table onto the right side of the scale.
    This, in essence, gives us four groups of three coins:
    • The three coins that got removed from the scale (B+C+D), which will be heavier fakes if the scales balance the second time
    • The three coins that changed sides on the scale (F+G+H), which might be lighter fakes if the left side goes up the second time instead of down
    • The three coins that never changed position (A+E+J). We will know that one of them is the fake if the balance doesn't change. We already know that J is Jenuine, but A could be a heavier fake, or E could be a lighter fake
    • The fourth group is the three coins that got added to the scale (K+L+M). They are definitely "real".
    Second Weighing (under the scenario of the First Weighing that Left side went down):
    • Put A+F+G+H on the left.
    • Put E+K+L+M on the right
    • Compare: A+F+G+H ^ E+K+L+M
    1b Left side still goes down :
    Since the scale did not change its position, and still has the left side heavier, then the fake coin is one of the coins that did not change position. Either:
    • the fake coin is (A), and it is heavier than a real coin, or
    • the fake coin is (E), and it is lighter than a real coin.
    • Remember, we know that (J) is real.
    Third Weighing: Can you figure out a method to determine, with ONE use of the scales, which of the above statements is true.
    =========
    ***So let's try scenario #3. (The right side went down):
    It tells us that (A+B+C+D) is lighter than (E+F+G+H). But, we still don't know if the fake is heavier than or lighter than a real coin. If the fake is lighter than a real coin, it is one of the group (A+B+C+D). If the fake is heavier than a real coin, it is in the group (E+F+G+H).
    This also tells us that (J+K+L+M) are all real coins. When we rotate three of the coins around by:
    • taking three coins (B+C+D) off the left side of the scale, and
    • moving three coins (F+G+H) from the right side of the scale to the left side, and
    • moving three coins (K+L+M) from the table onto the right side of the scale.
    This, in essence, gives us four groups of three coins:
    • The three coins that got removed from the scale (B+C+D), which will be lighter fakes if the scales balance the second time
    • The three coins that changed sides on the scale (F+G+H), which might be heavier fakes if the left side goes down the second time instead of up.
    • The three coins that never changed position (A+E+J). We will know that one of them is the fake if the balance doesn't change. We already know that J is Jenuine, but A could be a lighter fake, or E could be a heavier fake
    • The fourth group is the three coins that got added to the scale (K+L+M). They are definitely real.
    Second Weighing (under the scenario of the First Weighing that Right side went down):

• Put A+F+G+H on the left.
    • Put E+K+L+M on the right
    • Compare: A+F+G+H ^ E+K+L+M

OK, this goes on-and-on for the rest of the possibilities, but I think you get the idea. It is way too long to continue with it.
    What do I get?
    Probably not a surprise to you, but my cerebral cortex just absoluetly ACHES after reading this! And what the heck are you doing entering at almost 2am? Had just a little too much water last night, did we!?!

Great job, Chick -- clulup clearly owes you the prize!

Would Aspirin help?
    Probably not

What the HELL is all this coin Crap!!!! I go away for a few days and we are back to this math stuff!!! ARRRGGGGGGHHH. I am paying high Euros to log on and see how my friends are doing (except Chicken of course ) And this is what I am greeted by!!!!

Fletch, Welcome!! Don't believe the Fowl One about me and maht. ME and maht are almoset as good freinds as me and speling!

You know what Iceland and Denmark and The Netherlands look like this time of year? Fog!!! Fog ! Fog! and then there is some Rain, and then some FOG!!

I saw nothing of the countryside....just........wait for it..............FOG!!!!

The only thing I liked so far is the TV in Denmark....even at the nicest hotels they have very educational TV shows on........ Uh, I guess, to explain, they, uh, are, uh, FISHING shows!!! That's it! Sometimes the fishing show doesn't have any urm, ah, fish....just, uhm, er, Aquariems{?}. But they are very educational none the less!

Enough with the stupid coin tricks and the math... I am in Amsterdam tonight and in the KLM inflight magaizine is a map of the city....and they actually have the red light zone marked on it.....man I love these Nethandelanders....

Cheers to All!!!
    "Do the Chickens have large talons?" Napoleon Dynamite
    Quote Originally Posted by ACDriver
    You know what Iceland and Denmark and The Netherlands look like this time of year? Fog!!! Fog ! Fog! and then there is some Rain, and then some FOG!!
    Perhaps you can answer this for us.

The only thing I liked so far is the TV in Denmark....even at the nicest hotels they have very educational TV shows on........ Uh, I guess, to explain, they, uh, are, uh, FISHING shows!!! That's it! Sometimes the fishing show doesn't have any urm, ah, fish....just, uhm, er, Aquariems{?}. But they are very educational none the less!

Enough with the stupid coin tricks and the math... I am in Amsterdam tonight and in the KLM inflight magaizine is a map of the city....and they actually have the red light zone marked on it.....man I love these Nethandelanders....

Cheers to All!!!
    Glad to see you've gone straight for the high culture, ACD!
    I was about to say Wow! how could anyone figure this out and now you are saying the teach is cheating???

Wow! Chick-Dance, I am impressed! You got it right and truly deserve the Treo 650 as the prize! Which version do you want, Sprint or GSM? GSM will be for sale in Switzerland soon, so I can send you one of those if you prefer, just PM me which you want.

Your answer is very detailed and leaves no room for doubt, much better than... - wait a second - this is the same as a solution published on the internet! Oh well, sorry, under these circumstances there is no prize of course...

It's really a pity, I would have gladly sent you the Treo 650!
    Thanks for the welcome, ACDriver. I should probably take some of the blame for the coin stuff as stumbled into this thread a few days ago and was amazed at some of the mind games going on here. Well, I am trying to get my mind reactivated (if you don't use it, you loose it is so true) so I can get back into school and asked for help. I spend some time reading this thread and take it you are a pilot? What size planes do you fly?
    Regards,
    Fletch

What the HELL is all this coin Crap!!!! I go away for a few days and we are back to this math stuff!!! ARRRGGGGGGHHH. I am paying high Euros to log on and see how my friends are doing (except Chicken of course ) And this is what I am greeted by!!!!

Fletch, Welcome!! Don't believe the Fowl One about me and maht. ME and maht are almoset as good freinds as me and speling!

I saw nothing of the countryside....just........wait for it..............FOG!!!!

Cheers to All!!!
    Welcome to this wonderfully crazy thread fletchb. Say, I have a question for you. Your last post was on 12/22/2003, prior to joining us here. Were you hibernating for a year or something?
    You don't stop laughing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop laughing.
    -Michael Pritchard
    I use the term "consulting" not cheating. And I'd never post an answer I don't understand
    ChickenNoodles, you need not worry about this. It is obvious that none of us got the right answer. It isn't HOW you get to it but JUST getting to it that matters. Right boys?
    You don't stop laughing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop laughing.
    -Michael Pritchard
    Quote Originally Posted by Oops
    ChickenNoodles, you need not worry about this. It is obvious that none of us got the right answer. It isn't HOW you get to it but JUST getting to it that matters. Right boys?
    But finding the solution yourself (I mean finding it in your brain instead of in the internet ) is SOOO much more rewarding!
    Red light zone, is that where all the traffic lights are set to red, meaning only pedestrians are allowed?