Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Which reminds me of "The goggles do nothing!"
    The whole quote (in character, of course) is much funnier: "Ach! Mein eyes! The goggles do nothing!"

"Up and atom!"
    "Up and at them!"
    "No, up and atom!"
    "Up and at them!"
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Posted by Yorick: here's why one needs a pre-nup.

Actually we had a pre-nup but the business was started after we were married so it (and all the money that went into starting it) are considered Marital Assets and therefore subject to being split. It also probably did not help that the judge we got was one that I had managed a political campaign against the last time he ran for re-elction (he won) and he remembered me. In total all I lost in the divorce was about $400M.

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by BobbyMike
    . . . I'm alive and well and just found out we are definitely having another child (my wife had what we all thought was a miscarriage, turns out it was originally a set of twins).
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me add my congragulations also. I hope everything goes as smoothly as possible from here on.
    Jonathan
    Originally posted by Toby
    I'd call that one a fat finger rather than a spelling error...
    Hmmm... I don't seem to recall Mikey ever coming up with such lame excuses...
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    "Oh no! I've become Ducker. The speeling errers must ended now!"
    He should be forced to wear one of those "I wanna be like Mike" t-shirts in public.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    C'mon you guys admit it, everybody wants to be Mike....
    "I am a debtor both to Greeks and to Barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish."
    Originally posted by fixitgal
    ... spots it again. I'm going to be triple checking my posts from now on!
    What can I say? Things have gotten slow around here lately...

"...wastin' away in Moderatorville..."

"heavy" discussions
    Speaking of heavy, it seems like Josh has has gone AWOL again...

Peace and Blessings to all in this New Year. May we all find the strength to face the difficulties and embrace the joys!
    My sentiments exactly...
    MarkEagle
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    Originally posted by fixitgal
    ... spots it again. I'm going to be triple checking my posts from now on! Oh the humanity of it all...
    he ain't MarkEagle for nuthin'.

Originally posted by BobbyMike
    C'mon you guys admit it, everybody wants to be Mike....
    quack! Quackquackquaquack!
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    I think that it should only be considered the couple's wealth when the money was earned during the marriage. I do not think it is fair that a woman to marry a millionaire and expect to get half his wealth after a divorce. The same applies to a man marrying a rich woman.

Originally posted by K. Cannon
    And we had been doing so well for the last few posts...

Oh good grief...please explain how it is "the husband's wealth" if the wife is working.
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
    I think that you are stretching the importance of marriage a bit too far. I do not see how marriage will further your career..unless you are a politician. If anything, it is becoming a liability. More and more companies are demanding more and more from their employees (long hours, travel etc.). These things put a strain on marriages.

Actually, I'm rather curious as to how it's 'the husband's wealth' even when the wife _isn't_ working if it was acquired during the marriage. It would be extremely disingenuous for one to say that marriage doesn't increase one's social standing within many work places hence making career advancement more likely.
    Well I link to two sites. One with a low number and one with a higher number. I could have easily link to the site that supported my arguement. I more more inclined to believe the second site based on what I see in reality than the first.

Originally posted by John Nowak

I'm still trying to figure out how someone can peg the divorce rate at 40%-50% and as proof link to a site that clearly and redundantly puts it around 20% to 25%.
    This is what I think is grossly unfair.

Originally posted by jhappel

It can at times get even worse. During my marriage I started a business. All of the money used to start it was from my pre-marriage savings. I worked the business by myself (with a couple of employees, my wife never worked there. She had her own job, actually making quite a bit more than me. And yet when we got divorced I was told by the judge that the only choices I had were to give my ex a check for half of the total value of the business or sell it and give her half of the net proceeds. Go figure.

edited to correct a grammatical error (I don't want to be like Mike with people on my case. JHA)

It can at times get even worse. During my marriage I started a business. All of the money used to start it was from my pre-marriage savings. I worked the business by myself (with a couple of employees, my wife never worked there. She had her own job, actually making quite a bit more than me. And yet when we got divorced I was told by the judge that the only choices I had were to give my ex a check for half of the total value of the business or sell it and give her half of the net proceeds. Go figure.
    I would argue that is completely fair. If your business failed, would you not have drawn on the couple's funds to support yourself? Because the business was built during the marriage, it is the couple's. Of course it sounds like your wife made quite a bit of money during the marriage as well, which in my view should have gone to offset any payment going from you to her.
    Originally posted by KRamsauer:
    I would argue that is completely fair. If your business failed, would you not have drawn on the couple's funds to support yourself?
    I would be very interested to hear your rational for the statement that it was completely fair. If the business had failed (which it didn't) all I would have done is to go back into the business world. My education is in accounting and I had over twenty years experience in public accounting as an auditor and tax accountant along with private business as a controller. My wife at the time was earning almost $100M per year and never contributed one dime to the business nor one minute to it. I have always had the opinion that the judge's order had less to do with NYS divorce law and more to do with punishing me for managing the campaign against him several years before. But that's politics and life.

edited to correct a miradu-ism (a misspelled word)
    Jonathan

I would be very interested to hear your rational for the statement that it was completely fair. <snip> My wife at the time was earning almost $100M per year and never contributed one dime to the business nor one minute to it.
    That is the responsibility of you and her as a couple: work things out. You never should have put all your worth into an operation you knew would create a marital asset. That is a marital failure not a legal one. My framework is a very simple one, assessing the outcome of the marriage as a product of a "black box." It is the responsibility of capable adults to manage everything which goes on inside that box.
    Originally posted by yardie
    I think that you are stretching the importance of marriage a bit too far. I do not see how marriage will further your career..unless you are a politician. [...]
    I'm not stretching the importance of marriage. I'm not saying that it will de facto further one's career. I'm saying that being in the right social circumstances within a corporate culture will almost always further one's career. In some cases, this will include presenting a happy and well-adjusted home life, which in some people's eyes is marriage.

Originally posted by KRamsauer
    I would argue that is completely fair. [...]
    I don't know if I would go as far as to make _that_ argument, but I would say that it's ridiculous as an example which would shore up yardie's point. An apparently lopsided divorce settlement based upon a political vendetta is hardly something to use to indict the institution of marriage as a whole.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345