Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Originally posted by Toby
    Actually, I'm rather curious as to how it's 'the husband's wealth' even when the wife _isn't_ working if it was acquired during the marriage.
    True.
    Actually, I'm rather curious as to how it's 'the husband's wealth' even when the wife _isn't_ working if it was acquired during the marriage.
    I'm still trying to figure out how someone can peg the divorce rate at 40%-50% and as proof link to a site that clearly and redundantly puts it around 20% to 25%.
    Posted by Toby - it's 'the husband's wealth' even when the wife _isn't_ working if it was acquired during the marriage.
    It can at times get even worse. During my marriage I started a business. All of the money used to start it was from my pre-marriage savings. I worked the business by myself (with a couple of employees, my wife never worked there. She had her own job, actually making quite a bit more than me. And yet when we got divorced I was told by the judge that the only choices I had were to give my ex a check for half of the total value of the business or sell it and give her half of the net proceeds. Go figure.

edited to correct a grammatical error (I don't want to be like Mike with people on my case. JHA)
    Jonathan
    I lucked out on my divorce; I suppose being poor has its advantages.
    Seems to depend totally on the whim of the judge. The judge I had said I didn't deserve any alimony cause after 13 years we hadn't been married long enough. (?!) Go figure.
    My first marriage lasted just over 2 years if you include 2 months of being separated. We both agreed on who got what, and it was very civilized. Fortunately, we had no kids and no real property. We agreed on who got what personal property, and the only "custody battle" we had was over our dog. But that dog was mine to begin with, so I got it!
    Originally posted by jhappel
    And yet when we got divorced I was told by the judge that the only choices I had were to give my ex a check for half of the total value of the business or sell it and give her half of the net proceeds. Go figure.
    here's why one needs a pre-nup.
    Sorry to hear that.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Great avatar Yorick. Nice subtle use of animation.
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Great avatar Yorick. Nice subtle use of animation.
    It's the original.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Gosh I love you gals/guys. While everybody else is worrying about nothing important you wacky folk are deeply discussing lifes tosses and turns.

James, I hope everything works out and at the end of this you both can hold your heads up high. Divorce is really unpleasant for everyone involved. My wife was married before we got together and her split was pretty bad- and it was called amicable! Just remember that if you handle yourself like a gentleman now, you'll save yourself years of pain! Things can be replaced.

Greetings KC (you too Toby, et al)! I'm alive and well and just found out we are definitely having another child (my wife had what we all thought was a miscarriage, turns out it was originally a set of twins). She's about 15 weeks along and our boys are excited! (you can pray for a smooth pregnancy- something we never worried about before). Hows that for TMI!

Our business is puttering along well. DSL is great!! I just put a new graphics card in my CG computer (and I'm awaiting a PowerLeap 1.4 upgrade). I'm going to visit my folks in Houston in the next month or so (I'll be driving through Louisiana, so I'll wave Toby!) and my dad has definitely got Alzhiemers (on the bright side I now have a valid excuse for forgetting to call people back!)

And my Prism is doing great. No problems, but I'm only using the datebook, Biblereader, Gemslider 2 and Pedit (for notes in Church and keeping track of families that need computers). Even if I wanted a Treo, our area will be the last area in NY to get good cell coverage, so I don't even bother lusting after one.

Did I mention that DSL is great? I live in an area were you can't get good TV or Cell reception, but I can download enormous files without worrying about line interruptions! I live 450 feet from the router box. What a hoot! (I think Steve Ballmer still doesn't have broadband!)

I'll try to remember to check in more often!

PS Yorick, I like the retro look
    "I am a debtor both to Greeks and to Barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish."
    Michael:
    Congrats and I'll remember you and yours in my prayers. No such thing as TMI!!
    (Okay, really there is, but you haven't hit the limit yet...)
    Glad to hear from you
    Kelley
    Originally posted by BobbyMike

Even if I wanted a Treo, our area will be the last area in NY to get good cell coverage, so I don't even bother lusting after one.

Gosh, you must live in or around Watertown! In all my travels to date, that's THE only place where nobody has any cell reception, despite the Cingular wireless stores.
    Gosh, you must live in or around Watertown! In all my travels to date, that's THE only place where nobody has any cell reception, despite the Cingular wireless stores.
    Nah, I live in Austerlitz- couple hours north of NYC and nestled between the Taconic Parkway and the Berkshires. It's just mountainous and it's always been a struggle to get Cell towers up (weekenders fight very hard against it). My wife grew up in this little (nothing but a Post Office and a volunteer fire department) village. My kids love having a river in the backyard.

Michael
    "I am a debtor both to Greeks and to Barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish."
    Originally posted by BobbyMike
    [...] Greetings KC (you too Toby, et al)! I'm alive and well and just found out we are definitely having another child (my wife had what we all thought was a miscarriage, turns out it was originally a set of twins).
    Greetings, condolences, and contratulations, then.
    She's about 15 weeks along and our boys are excited! (you can pray for a smooth pregnancy- something we never worried about before).
    Best of wishes. I wouldn't know what a smooth pregnancy was, though. Our experience was anything but.
    [...] I'm going to visit my folks in Houston in the next month or so (I'll be driving through Louisiana, so I'll wave Toby!) [...]
    heh...have fun on I-10.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    contratulations
    Finally, Toby joins the (mis)spelling club!!! He is human after all.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Originally posted by MarkEagle
    ROFLMAO...yes, he is. Although, I'd call that one a fat finger rather than a spelling error (notice the placement of 'g' and 't' on the keyboard). Fingers moving faster than brain.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Originally posted by MarkEagle
    ... spots it again. I'm going to be triple checking my posts from now on! Oh the humanity of it all...

Toby is right, fingers fly faster than the brain. But mis-types are just another kind of spelling mistake.

Nice to know we can balance "heavy" discussions with those of lighter fare. That's what real life is like after all... It's nice to find such a "comfortable" place on the Web, you are all a great group of folks.

Peace and Blessings to all in this New Year. May we all find the strength to face the difficulties and embrace the joys!
    "When I am Empress...Heads will roll!"
    Queen of Parts
    Toby.. welcome to the light, it burns...

a fav simpsons quote.. Homer: "I see the light, and it burns!"
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    This is Toby's boss. I'm just typing this to tell you that we found him hanging from the ceiling fan in his cubicle with this message board window open on his computer. He had a note which he apparently stapled to his chest which read "Oh no! I've become Ducker. The speeling errers must ended now!" Anyone have any idea what that means?
    Originally posted by miradu
    a fav simpsons quote.. Homer: "I see the light, and it burns!"
    Which reminds me of "The goggles do nothing!"

--Hoping this turns into a Simpsons fest,
    Kurt
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast