1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Red box raised it's rates for the first time in 8 years it's only 20 cents so no big deal....
    But what I found in the article I found most interesting, (see the last paragraph)!

Finally the movie rental business is fighting back....The studios have been delaying RedBox from renting any newly rleased DVD for 28 days after it's released....many of the studios are toying with the idea of a 60 day window of no renting...

"20th Century Fox, Universal Pictures and Warner Bros. -- are considering extending that delay to as much as 60 days in an effort to boost more profitable sales and video-on-demand rentals"....."Paramount Pictures, Sony Pictures and Lionsgate have recently extended their agreements to allow Redbox to rent their movies the day they go on sale. Those studios believe they make more money by partnering with Redbox than they are losing from people who opt for low-cost rentals instead of pricier alternatives".

Redbox Interim President Gregg Kaplan said in an interview that he would oppose any extension of the rental “window” and would consider buying discs from retail locations if those studios decline to sell to them directly for a period longer than 28 days.

Redbox raises price to $1.20, readies for 2nd battle with studios
    October 27, 2011 | 4:15 pm

Redbox raises price to $1.20, readies for 2nd battle with studios - latimes.com

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    So why shouldn't the studios have the right to extend the window?

They ARE the ones creating the product in the first place. It's their product.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by residentcomedian View Post
    So why shouldn't the studios have the right to extend the window?

They ARE the ones creating the product in the first place. It's their product.
    Hi, as someone who was self employed all my life, I would normally agree with you.....but to me this is reminds me too much of what Netflix did....

Netflix didn't raise the rates alone they also did it because the studios were squeezing them....the same thing here....however the studios are being greedy at this time...when things are so bad that people aren't going to the movies, they now won't be able to affordable rent them as well...current movies as well...

If the studios want to make more money perhaps they should stop paying the stars
    $20 million up front and a piece of the box office...times are bad and the studios and stars have to also take a cut...

They should stop making as many huge $100 million plus budget films and try to spread the risk across a larger number of films...

After all the movie "The Help" cost only $25 million to make...general rule of thumb is what ever a movie cost to make that is what they will spend on distribution fees to duplicate the film and the biggest cost after the cost of making the film is advertising.

The Help had almost no advertising....to date it grossed Domestic: $166,423,720 94.0% & Foreign: $10,700,000 6.0% for a grand total of Worldwide: $177,123,720, (as per Box Office MoJo). Almost all of that is profit!!!!!!!!

Thus making it one of the most profitable movies in the past few years....the studios need to to so heavy duty cost cutting before they go squeezing the public, when approx 1/10th of the public can't even find a job!

To me this is just another way for the studios and the stars to be greedy when the public at large hardly has a dime to spend on themselves...

BTW I used to go the movies at least once a week with my friends, my parents and my then G/F now my wonderful fiancee...we hardly go anymore b/c there is so little to see....

The studios could make much more money if they would make more movies that people actually want to see & would stop treating the public so poorly and stop being so greedy!

I know I could go an entire lifetime not wanting to see another bad remake of a crummy TV show from 30 years ago...

Up until very recently the studios gave cars (to keep), to the stars as incentives for the movies doing so well....$20 Million a film to Tom Cruise plus a piece of the box office and a free car....tough the studios have to learn how to deal with hard times....

The outcome will be that Redbox will see the amount of people using it's service drop off and the greedy studios will have put them out of business...my hats off to the CEO of redbox for fighting back!

take care,

Jay
    Last edited by ilovedessert; 10/29/2011 at 07:43 PM.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Ok, good enough.