1.    #1  
    I will be using the laptop for personal and business. Personally I will be doing music downloads, watching movies on the internet, the usual things. Business side I will be using quickbooks, and massive excel sheets.

I will be purchasing an external hard drive to save all my work on. Nothing will really be saved on the computer so the memory doesn't have to be great.

I have had a Dell before and the battery life is bad and it got a lot of viruses. I have had a Sony Vaio and that was not a good experience either. I do not want to switch to Mac, I love PC. People have been telling me about HP, Acer, and Asos. I did some research and LENOVO. It was the best computer behind Mac.

I do not need any programs. I have Office Suite 2007, adobe. I just need a good shell to work on. I do not want to spend more than $800. The computer has to have a number pad, be at least 15 inches, and have a built in camera. I want the computer to work fast and be able to run multiple programs at the same time.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!
    Toshiba Satellite is rock solid
    Quote Originally Posted by fine12 View Post
    I will be using the laptop for personal and business. Personally I will be doing music downloads, watching movies on the internet, the usual things. Business side I will be using quickbooks, and massive excel sheets.

I will be purchasing an external hard drive to save all my work on. Nothing will really be saved on the computer so the memory doesn't have to be great.

I have had a Dell before and the battery life is bad and it got a lot of viruses. I have had a Sony Vaio and that was not a good experience either. I do not want to switch to Mac, I love PC. People have been telling me about HP, Acer, and Asos. I did some research and LENOVO. It was the best computer behind Mac.

I do not need any programs. I have Office Suite 2007, adobe. I just need a good shell to work on. I do not want to spend more than $800. The computer has to have a number pad, be at least 15 inches, and have a built in camera. I want the computer to work fast and be able to run multiple programs at the same time.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!Click to view quoted image
    Hey, I will be honest with you, I do not know a whole lot about these super computers that people why to perform graphic-intensive tasks and all. I have owned three desktops: IBM, ABS, and now a Lenovo. I have a busted up 3 year-old HP laptop. I do a lot of basic things on my comps: surfing, DVD converting, storing my music, a few word docs, Yahoo games, etc. If you like Lenovo, stick with them - especially if you do not mind buying refurbished. Their outlet is outlet.Lenovo.com. I got a very nicely spec'ed refurbished desktop from there last spring. You will not get there by typing in www. Also, I just purchased a Lenovo laptop for $299 from Best Buy (as a gift for the holidays) that might suit your needs - some might say not in terms of speed and memory though. I do not know. I know there was one BB had that had superior specs and it was only $599.00.

lenovo laptop - BestBuy
    The more Ram you have, the better off you'll be. Always. So make sure you get as much as possible.
    If disc space doesn't matter, most laptops now have pretty big HDs standard.
    As for the brand, I like them all, except Acer. There are plenty in your price range to choose from.
    I find I can do most everything on my TP now, but I can see where you could need a laptop.
    Quote Originally Posted by fine12 View Post
    I did some research and LENOVO. It was the best computer behind Mac.
    I would agree with that assessment. I've sold Dell, HP and Lenovo, and Lenovo is by far the most reliable brand in my experience. I refuse to sell Dell any more. Good warranty, but it better be, because you're likely to need it. HP is fine but has slightly lower build quality compared to Lenovo. Not horrible, but paint eventually wears off, metal fascias are easily dented, etc.

Lenovo's Thinkpads are boring, black plastic monoliths, but they are built extremely well. They also have the best keyboards, and that's not just my own opinion. Google for it. The only problem I've ever had with any of the Lenovos I've sold is a laptop HDD going bad within the first year, but that's more luck of the draw with HDDs than anything else. Buy enough HDDs, and you're bound to get one or two bad ones eventually, regardless the brand. The one in the Lenovo was a Hitachi, which overall is a very reliable brand. Just got the bad one out of that lot I guess.

Anyway, I push Lenovo heavily to my customers nowadays and it's what I use for my own laptop, an x120e.

Based on the software you want to run, I'd say get something that either has at least 4GB RAM built in or has the ability to be upgraded to at least 4GB. It will run okay with 2 or 3, but with Win7, 4GB is the magic number for running Quickbooks smoothly. I'm currently running QB 2007 Pro on my machine.

Since you specified a number pad, I would recommend a Thinkpad Edge E520. If you want something a little "prettier" and don't mind running Windows 7 Home Premium instead of Windows 7 Professional, you could go for their Ideapad series, specifically the V570.
    Last edited by Syndil; 10/31/2011 at 07:19 PM.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    There's a reason why NASA only uses IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad notebooks on space missions...Dell doesn't make housecalls in orbit to fix broken computers. Yes, they are boring and some models are a little bit pricey, but you get what you pay for.....
    Sent from my Etch-a-Sketch.

#staycoolmybabies
    Ive always like dell's and sony's myself, but if you don't want to go that rout I guess Lenovo would be the way to go. I've had hp's before and hated it, wouldn't recommend them. Currently I have an 11" mackbook air and it definately the best computer I've ever owned, I have it running windows 7, everything is fast and smooth, I love it.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.