Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

This is why I was dancing in the streets when Palm decided to make removable batteries!

FYI.....see link....this is one of my pet peeves with Apple...you can't change out the battery or opt to put in a larger battery with a different back...you can lug a gadget to give your iPhone extra juice...but I still like having the choose to put in a larger battery or carry a 2nd battery which is smaller and lighter than a separate device....years ago, I was so glad when Palm made a removable battery.....

Jobs was philosophically opposed to a removable battery....I wonder if that will change now that the new iPhone eats batteries for breakfast.

Take care,

Jay

Dear Apple, Please Make My iPhone 4S Battery Life Suck Less
    Erick Schonfeld

Dear Apple, Please Make My iPhone 4S Battery Life Suck Less | TechCrunch

I think I figured out what the “S” stands for in the iPhone 4S. Now, to be clear, I love my new iPhone 4S. I talk to it even when there isn’t a human on the other end of the line. Sometimes it talks back. But one thing that literally sucks about my iPhone 4S is its battery life. And I’m not the only one complaining.

Today, my iPhone died after about 8 hours—not even enough to get me through a full day without recharging (and this is typical). This was not 8 hours of constant use (unless you count the constant pinging of notifications, which may be the culprit). It was 8 hours total from the time I unplugged it in the morning and took it with me until the screen went black at around 4 PM. According to the specs, the iPhone 4S is supposed to get 200 hours of standby time, 8 hours of talk time, and “up to 6 hours” of Internet use on 3g. During the day, I made half a dozen calls less than 5 minutes each, used the Internet for an hour on the train (email, Twitter, light Web browsing), and then maybe another 90 minutes throughout the day.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Thanks for sharing..... A year ago, this might have made me happy for picking 'superior technology'. Now: it's a bit of a hollow victory. Still: wow -- I'm amazed Apple testers didn't baulk!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by cmahy View Post
    Thanks for sharing..... A year ago, this might have made me happy for picking 'superior technology'. Now: it's a bit of a hollow victory. Still: wow -- I'm amazed Apple testers didn't baulk!
    Hi all,

It wouldn't have mattered if the testers balked or not...Jobs REFUSED to have a larger battery because he didn't want it to be heavier and thicker....he refused to make the battery removable, as it would make the phone a few microns thicker....I was so glad when Palm saw the light....

Just because I went to the dark side to Android for a 2 year contract doesn't mean I wouldn't switch if webOS is purchased by another firm and put back on smartphones where it belongs.....I gave very long consideration to have friends purchase a Pre3 from Europe and send it to me....I decided against it for a number of reasons...a number of apps I wanted are yet available for webOS and what happens when & if it breaks...

It was a very hard choice to make...however I decided not to get an Apple for the very reason of the battery.....I've mentioned it numerous times on this site...way before the current iPhone became available...

I also resent the fact that you either have to pay Apple a very high price to change a battery, (3 or 4 times the cost of just the battery) or break into your own phone & void the warranty ...(or drag around more clutter & weight with a battery in another device to charge the iPhone's battery, so you have bragging rights that your phone is so thin & light)!

These days I've come to think of it less and less that Jobs didn't want a thicker or slightly heavier phone he wanted another revenue stream by replacing batteries...or another reason for people to trade in their iPhone as soon as their contract is up...major planned obsolescence.

Take care,

jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  4.    #4  
    Hi all,

FYI.....see link.

Take care,

Jay

Apple reportedly investigating iPhone 4S battery drain

Apple reportedly investigating iPhone 4S battery drain | Apple Talk - CNET News
    Batteries are consumable objects anyway. After 2 years (or less) of regular use, a Li-ion cellphone battery is not going to have nearly the life it did when it was new. I usually get 3-5 years out of my phones, so a replaceable battery is a must.

Once again, Apple puts form over function. No surprise there.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Once again, Apple puts form over function. No surprise there.
    What bothers me is that Jobs had a Hissy fit over the fact that he didn't want to add to the thickness to have a removable battery...were talking only microns in extra thickness....it's more an issue of another revenue stream for Apple to have to replace batteries to a gullible audience that thinks Jobs descended from heaven! (I chose the word heaven deliberately....after all a number of studies using EEG & MRI of the brain showed that many Apple fan's brains fire up when speaking of Apple products and Jobs as it does when speaking of religion...that's just downright creepy)!

Take care,

Jay
    I've been over this before, but what point is making the iPhone a single millimeter thinner when it pretty much requires a case anyway, because it's made of glass? Thanks to the clever design of my Pixi, I carry it naked with confidence. It's 10.9 mm thick compared to the iPhone's 9.4, but it has a replaceable battery, inductive charging, and I would wager it's still thinner than the vast majority of iPhone in use, if you consider the extra thickness of the case. On the Pixi, the battery cover functions as the case. If Apple was so concerned about the appearance of their phone, they should have taken a clue from Palm and designed it in a way that would warrant carrying it naked, so people can actually see the phone instead of the plastic or silicone cocoon most people swaddle their iPhones in.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    ilovedessert likes this.
    It's always something with the iPhone. First Antennagate, now this.
    ilovedessert likes this.
    I let mine drain, until it shot off, then recharged my 4S and it fixed my issues.

They also sell cases that double as extended batteries.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    It's always something with the iPhone. First Antennagate, now this.
    I know, and as soon as they fix the problem (reception on my 4s is awesome, almost Nokia like) something else pops up, damn battery.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    .They also sell cases that double as extended batteries.

Hi all,

Listen to yourself....you have to buy a special case that has an extended battery...only b/c Jobs was arrogant...he only wanted to sell what HE wanted in a smartphone....all this does is make you buy a more expensive case or other crap to schlepp along with you....all so that he could have a 1-2 micron thinner phone that needs to have APPLE employees change the battery so that he can make extra money....

It's Henry Ford all over again, l when he arrogantly said you can have his Model T in any color that you want as long as it's black.....

Thank you Mr. Jobs I can think for myself....after a few years of selling only slab phones he finally came up with a reason not to have a keyboard...b/c the keypad switches brake...This is my 5 smartphone in approx 12 years.... I've NEVER had a problem with the keyboard or a particular key switch....just another case of Jobs sold what his version of a smartphone for HIS needs not everyone else's or he would offer several models at the same time..

Take care,

Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post

It was a very hard choice to make...however I decided not to get an Apple for the very reason of the battery.....I've mentioned it numerous times on this site...way before the current iPhone became available...
    LOL. Jay, anyone who has read this site knows you'd never get an Apple in the first place!

You may have not been enough of a webOS fan to buy WebOS (as I did...) but you sure were never in danger of going Apple.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    LOL. Jay, anyone who has read this site knows you'd never get an Apple in the first place!

You may have not been enough of a webOS fan to buy WebOS (as I did...) but you sure were never in danger of going Apple.
    Hi all,

I's not that I'm not a fan of WebOS...I had a 2 year contract on my Centro...by the time my contract ended..the Pre2 was out, but I wanted the Pre3..who knew it would all blow up in our faces...

As for Jobs he was a genus but like many brilliant people. he let his own ego get in the way!

Take care,

Jay
    PS MY hope is that webOS will be purchased by someone soon...I just got an Android phone. but if webOS brings out a phone in that time I might switch if it comes to Sprint....if not I would switch after my 2 years are up... Jay
    Well, this brought tears to my eyes. Not because of iphone 4S or Apple in particular but because of the tech(genius) support
    Apple genius: 'Turn off your phone' for better battery life | Fully Equipped - CNET Reviews
    Yeah, I can get years worth of battery life out of my phone if I leave it gathering dust somewhere, DUH!
    Wow this article was a great laugh. So to improve battery life turn the phone off. What is the point of the phone than! I may not be a doctor who is on call but for most of us the cell phone is the only way to contact me. It stays on all the time as you never know who will call or when. Loving my franken pre2, pretty good battery life, plus extra batteries for heavy use days.
  17.    #17  
    Hi all,

This is why I have insisted from the beginning that a non removable battery is a major pain...all the other firms listened BUT Apple....in the past few weeks...a number of people posted that I was fixated on non removable batteries....(from before this new iPhone went up for sale....now they all have to eat their words)!

Here is an interesting article from a BB user who went to the new iPhone, (it's a rather lengthy article, but he has many valid points...why include all of these features only to have to disable them b/c the latest iPhone is a power hog?

I wonder that now that Jobs is no longer around if Apple will get off it's high horse and finally make a removable battery...without having to resort to all kinds of extra paraphernalia...there are 2,500 responses in the iPosting he refers to in his article....2,500 pitch fork wielding patrons...some Apple isn't not used to...this is the link:

Apple iPhone 4S BatteryGate: Gripes Continue

I'm trying everything from tweaks to battery packs to give my iPhone 4S more juice. Let's hope Apple doesn't tell me I'm holding it wrong.
    By Fritz Nelson, InformationWeek
    November 01, 2011

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...ndly=this-page

This morning I awoke to a fully-charged iPhone 4S. When I unplugged the phone, it suddenly showed a charge of 98%. Less than two hours, 75 e-mails, a five minute phone call, and a couple of notifications later, and I'm down to 86%. If today is like any other day with the iPhone 4S, I'll be recharging some time around 3 p.m. Here's the kicker: In my earlier days with the phone, its battery life was much worse; after following a few tips, I bought back two or three hours of battery life.

Here's what I use: Location services on several applications, like iMapMyRide, Maps, BayTripper, Facebook, iHeartRadio, Siri, Trapster and Weather. I use three e-mail accounts, with Push e-mail fully enabled--this includes a corporate account using ActiveSync, tapping into several hundred e-mails per day. Add in Bluetooth occasionally, although I normally turn it off when I'm not using it. I've turned off time zone detection and even dimmed the display. I also use iCloud; WiFi; notifications from a variety of applications, like SportsCenter (although mostly on weekends), The New York Times, Facebook, Trapster, APPY Geek, my Calendar, the phone, and Messages. I've turned off notifications in the Stock Widget, SkyGrid and Mail. Surely, there's more I could do.
    The mobile workforce is one of the fastest growing threats to security.

Discover 7 tips to combat this threat.
    I've read the Apple iPhone 4s Battery Life Support Community discussion (as much as I could make it through; there are now more than 2500 replies in the discussion), a very early conversation on an internal BYTE Google Group message thread starting the day after the 4S came out, and several articles detailing fixes, including these tips from Gizmodo. Many of the suggestions have actually worked. But some of them are untenable, like turning off Push e-mail services. After all, the iPhone 4s replaced my BlackBerry, a product I've been using for several years, and I'm pretty unwilling to go backward.

On the Apple forum, under a highlighted post called "iPhone 4S Battery life best practice," one of the suggestions is to turn BlueTooth off, which begs an important question of Apple--why include it at all! Nothing like having to cripple key phone functions. Or, as one post on the forum put it: "Essentially just turn every feature off to make it a flip phone."
  18.    #18  
    His all,

it's now up to just under 3,000 postings @ 2:38 AM EST on the Apple iPhone 4s Battery Life Support Community discussion....

Take care,

Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    His all,

it's now up to just under 3,000 postings @ 2:38 AM EST on the Apple iPhone 4s Battery Life Support Community discussion....

Take care,

Jay
    If it's anything like P|C, that don't mean squat.
    Probably 750 people posting the same thing twice, and the rest making mildly sense.
    just going from my own 4s... i dont see any larger battery drain than when i had the 3gs

to see if it would help further though, i did go to location services and turn off the 'setting time zone'... i dont travel so dont need it checking for time zone when i drive into the next county

i've seen a lot of mention on it and most likely some software issue like the time zone that they'll fix with a sw update. i doubt its a hw issue but we'll see.

i personally dont get the removeable battery issue anymore. most phones last a full day which is fine. and i personally, friend with removeable batteries... I NEVER see anyone with spare batteries. NEVER.

if you're a power user, get a morphie. i kinda like this model. i might for traveling.

Mophie Juice Pack Plus Outdoor Edition ready to ship for iPhone 4, iPhone 4S - SlashGear

or you can get an external for occasions like traveling and it helps with other gear too.

But with friends that have a removeable battery... I NEVER see anyone with spare batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    If it's anything like P|C, that don't mean squat.
    Probably 750 people posting the same thing twice, and the rest making mildly sense.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast