Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Originally posted by tommygreen
    Any of you other older folks wondering why a 23-year old is whining about paying for things themself??!?!?
    I dunno if he's whining about -- looks more to me like he's bragging about it. Maybe he shouldn't be, but it's something to be proud of, especially if he's in college and working towards self-sufficiency.

Tis the season the be merry, and all that.

Any of you other older folks wondering why a 23-year old is whining about paying for things themself??!?!?

Just how long should mommy and daddy be financing their kids? I guess my two little ones are in for a big shock later in life...
    Whoah, calm down. He wasn't whining. He was proud of it. Isn't that what you're urging? It's a nice feeling when you finally don't have to depend on your parents for stuff. The first time you can go out and buy something either for yourself or for your friends/family, it's a good feeling.
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    The first time you can go out and buy something either for yourself or for your friends/family, it's a good feeling.
    Oh, man, that brings back memories of an IBM PC 486, the first one I bought with my money instead of my grandfather's legacy, and the very first modem I plugged into it, and seeing GIFs with 256 colors.

Of course, I've had faster machines, and machines with better statistics, but I will look anyone square in the eye and say that silly little box was the best computer ever made. I've never been as satisfied with a machine.
    OK guys, I guess you're right. It's just that although I'm "only" 33, I'm still old-school when it comes to self-sufficiency. I believe you should be very self-sufficient by the time you're 22, at the absolute oldest (and preferrably younger than that).

I've got a brother-in-law that is also 33, still living with his parents, in a go-nowhere job, does nothing to help around the house (bills or chores), works his 6 hours every other day, comes home and expects his parents to wait on him hand and foot. This, after his mom works a 50-hour week, and his dad works eighteens at a refinery with little or no sleep between shifts. As I said, he contributes no money to the household, then whines when he has to spend his own money on "toys".

Yes, I'm old-school and jaded by my brother-in-law. But I bet there's plenty of folks who would agree that it sounded like whining....
    OK guys, I guess you're right. ... I'm still old-school when it comes to self-sufficiency...

I've got a brother-in-law that is also 33, still living with his parents, in a go-nowhere job, does nothing to help around the house (bills or chores), works his 6 hours every other day, comes home and expects his parents to wait on him hand and foot....
    Yeah, it's a real shame when that happens. I'll bet most of us know someone like that at different levels of annoyingness.

...But I bet there's plenty of folks who would agree that it sounded like whining....
    It's very possible. Certainly there's ambiguity in any piece of writing; all we can do is react to how it strikes us. To you, it sounded like your brother in law; to me, it sounded exultant.
    Originally posted by John Nowak

Of course, I've had faster machines, and machines with better statistics, but I will look anyone square in the eye and say that silly little box was the best computer ever made. I've never been as satisfied with a machine.
    It's like me driving around my 13 year old Toyota. Sure there are faster/nicer/fancier cars out there. But this car is the automotive equivalent of the little engine that could.
    Just tossing in my 2 cents. On Fri I will be celebrating the 4th anniversary of my 30th Bday.
    my first exposure to computers was a TeleStar Game system with Pong and Skeet shooting. I then graduated to an Atari and bought the Basic Cartridge so that I could create my own games. Of course the only thing I could create was my name printed on the screen. Then a commodore 32 . Then the high tech sleek Apple IIc with look out 512k ram. Those were the simple days.
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    It's like me driving around my 13 year old Toyota. Sure there are faster/nicer/fancier cars out there. But this car is the automotive equivalent of the little engine that could.
    There's some glorious things out there that just strike you that way, like the old metal Tonka trucks and the HP Laserjet II. The Laserjet II was so solidly made you felt like you could toss it out a third-story window onto an unprotected populace, hose it off, and plug it back in and it would run.

There's some glorious things out there that just strike you that way, like the old metal Tonka trucks and the HP Laserjet II. The Laserjet II was so solidly made you felt like you could toss it out a third-story window onto an unprotected populace, hose it off, and plug it back in and it would run.
    I remember reading a story about people buying old GE refigerators (with the compressor on top) for many thousands of dollars. The things still work, and work well. They are all made out of heavy metal and obviously don't have modern features like frost-free and ice machines, but like you said: there is something glorious about stuff that works, and works well. No ifs ands or buts. Engineering marvels not in their complexity but in their simplicity and durability.
    I am sorry to say this on Christmas Day -- but your brother-in-law should be kicked out by his parents. I would be a ashamed of myself of I was in his position. He should be looking at helping his parents as they enter their advanced age...not sucking more from them. I don't even know the guy and I am pissed off. I could just imagine how you feel.

OK guys, I guess you're right. It's just that although I'm "only" 33, I'm still old-school when it comes to self-sufficiency. I believe you should be very self-sufficient by the time you're 22, at the absolute oldest (and preferrably younger than that).

I've got a brother-in-law that is also 33, still living with his parents, in a go-nowhere job, does nothing to help around the house (bills or chores), works his 6 hours every other day, comes home and expects his parents to wait on him hand and foot. This, after his mom works a 50-hour week, and his dad works eighteens at a refinery with little or no sleep between shifts. As I said, he contributes no money to the household, then whines when he has to spend his own money on "toys".

Yes, I'm old-school and jaded by my brother-in-law. But I bet there's plenty of folks who would agree that it sounded like whining....
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?

I dunno if he's whining about -- looks more to me like he's bragging about it. Maybe he shouldn't be, but it's something to be proud of, especially if he's in college and working towards self-sufficiency.

Tis the season the be merry, and all that.

Heh, I'm actually whinning about it a bit as well. Certain really bad experiences made me this way. Thanks for the support.

I'm working, btw.
    I'm just a dreamer..
    Originally posted by yardie
    I am sorry to say this on Christmas Day -- but your brother-in-law should be kicked out by his parents. I would be a ashamed of myself of I was in his position. He should be looking at helping his parents as they enter their advanced age...not sucking more from them. I don't even know the guy and I am pissed off. I could just imagine how you feel.

You hit the nail on the head! I've been pissed about this for the entire 8 years I've known him. Like you, I would be ashamed, or at least embarrassed, if I was him. He's not any of the above. Simply thinks this is the way it should be. I don't know what he's going to do when his parents pass. Actually, I do. I've already told my wife that the day he asks to move in, her answer better be NO, or that's the same day I'm moving out!

Originally posted by Digisane

Heh, I'm actually whinning about it a bit as well. Certain really bad experiences made me this way. Thanks for the support.

I'm working, btw.
    Sorry, Digisane, I guess my own "certain really bad experiences" got the best (or should I say worst) of me. I hope your experiences (good and bad) make you all the better a person, unlike my brother-in-law.

Merry Christmas, everyone.
    Originally posted by Digisane

I'm working, btw.
    Hee hee -- there is a closer link between complaining and bragging than most people are willing to admit, I think.
    Originally posted by Alli
    what kind of age ranges do we have around here? I'm 44...is that old or average for a Treo type?
    I've no hang ups about being 69 years of age.
    First computer usage about '74 but not too sure about model except that memory was a cassette recorder that plugged in. Only drawback I have is getting very short tempered with Window$ such that I'm now a Mac OS man on desktop.
    John W
    OK, my turn to chime in. i will be 47 in january, and my first computer that i owned was a franklin ace 1000 with TWO, count 'em, TWO 180 k floppy drives so you could work on a document and save it without switching disks!! that was xmas 1979.

the franklin was an apple ii+ clone, and they later lost a lawsuit to apple for making it. i also had a color output hooked up to it so i could play pong in color on my 19" TV next to it.

the most fun, though, was being an early on-line chat user with American People Link (anybody out there remember 'plinkers'?) even went to several parties in NYC and vegas for online folks. back then there were few enough to get to know. now its huge and taken for granted.

we used to play trivia games. but us older folks with 300 baud modems used to lose to those darn newbies with their 1200 baud powerhouses because their answers would get in much faster!

after American People Link came Protocall, then Prodigy, then finally AO-Hell.

What a long, strange trip it's been.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    48... But I bet I look 18... Ha-ha
    I'll bite, I'll be 20 in 7 days now. And I have pretty much dumped the Visor hobby that I had while I worked at Staples. So now I'm working @ FedEx and I've got Motorola as a hobby now.....Radios are fun! The big two for me are railroads, I'm also an engineer, and radios after that, Visors just aren't the best game in town for me anymore. Since everyone else is mentioning their first computers, mine was an Apple IIe. Happy New Year Everyone!!!

Derek
    KC9CIT

A couple of links:
    http://www.prairienet.org/mrm/
    http://batboard.batlabs.com/
    Kouz
    My first computer was an abacus.
    Originally posted by derek985
    My first computer was an abacus.
    stop stealing my jokes!
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    You got a monopoly on jokes man? Or are you joking around?

Originally posted by Yorick

stop stealing my jokes!
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast