Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes
  1.    #1  
    Embarrassing to America, or legitimate?

(I think it's embarrassing)
    They should try occupying a job. Oh, they can't find jobs? Maybe they should have done something useful in college.

/thread
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    I don't know if they're necessarily embarrassing America (considering they're less destructive than similar groups in other countries), but they're certainly embarrassing themselves--and their cause. Biden and Obama comparing them to the Tea Party? Well, didn't we read that the Tea Partiers would clean up after their own rallies? Not sitting in their own feces and used condoms.
    Occupy (insert City here)...a cause without a...cause?

With most other groups, both in the US and abroad, whether you agree with their agendas, goals, messages or methods they at least have a (mostly) cohesive message. Interviews I have heard on both television and radio with Occupiers have been all over the place. If the message was truly about ending the corruption on Wall Street and in Washington I would be behind them 100%...as it is I'm behind them 0% because what I seem to be hearing is a lot of "you have more than me and I want what you got" mentality. I drove by one of the local camps...it was a mess and the signage was all leftist.
    AZTouchpad
    - 32Gb HP Touchpad, Palm Tungsten E, 32Gb iPhone 4, 16Gb iPod touch (1st Gen)
    *...and I think webOS is awesome
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. - Gerald R. Ford
    groovy and IGNTNUNLMTD like this.
    It is very fueled by jealousy, yes.

But guess what? I sit at these computers when all the English and Sociology majors are sitting out on the quad playing guitar and tossing the disc around. I wrote over 600 lines of C code last night. I program 8-12 hours a day.

I'll be damned if these hippies one day tell me that I owe them anything. Wealth is not to be spread, it's to be earned.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD
    Wealth is not to be spread, it's to be earned.
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    actually wealth can be stolen too. i guess you forgot that
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    That's what the second amendment is for, friend. :P

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ArchonAdvisors and vreihen like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    yeah it definitely CAN be stolen, a.k.a.: "redistributed"... i guess you forgot THAT
    Last edited by sq5; 10/27/2011 at 07:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    I sit at these computers when all the English and Sociology majors are sitting out on the quad playing guitar and tossing the disc around. I wrote over 600 lines of C code last night. I program 8-12 hours a day.

I'll be damned if these hippies one day tell me that I owe them anything. Wealth is not to be spread, it's to be earned.
    Oh man, isn't that the truth. You're not the only one who has looked around at others and noticed that. Your classmates have made their choice so they better enjoy it while it lasts.
    IGNTNUNLMTD likes this.
    I'll tell you an embarrassing "Occupy". I live in a college town which naturally has its fair share of failed bums who majored in sociology or anthropology or one of those throwaway majors. Of course, they wanted to start a copy-cat Occupy here too, but every time I pass by them on my way to work, I only see a few people camping out, and the few who are holding up signs look like they are doing it because they have to, not because they want to. There's no fiery desire there. And the funny part is the college newspaper trying to spin it into some big thing when clearly 99% of the town couldn't care less, and apparently 99% of the people who did show up don't care much for it either. Makes you wonder what their "99%" really means.
    Best picture I've seen so far had one of the occupy people crying with the phrase "I can't get a job............................... That I want."
    IGNTNUNLMTD likes this.
    I share their concerns on income equality, the influence of corporate money in politics, and a financial system that has little accountability to the country.
    You want to talk about inequality and accountability? Let's talk about Congress and how they should be knocked down a couple thousand pegs.
    ilovedessert likes this.
    the message seems pretty clear to me.

homes are being foreclosed, people are being laid-off, the unemployment rate is high and the governments response is to write a big fat check to the very same people that caused this mess. they want to see some accountability, is that so wrong?

its their constitutional right to voice their opinion, if you dont agree with them thats fine but dont generalize the people taking part in the demonstration as all being lazy hippies and dont draw conclusions based off of sound bites and news clips you got from a biased media network. until you have actually sat and talked with some of these people in person, you should reserve judgement.
    You want to talk about inequality and accountability? Let's talk about Congress and how they should be knocked down a couple thousand pegs.

This makes no sense. It sounds good but it still makes no sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    This makes no sense. It sounds good but it still makes no sense.
    Surely you jest...

Currently, Congress gets their very own special healthcare, they can vote themselves salary increases, and senators have unlimited term lengths.

ALL of that needs to change. No exceptions.
    Surely you jest...

Currently, Congress gets their very own special healthcare, they can vote themselves salary increases, and senators have unlimited term lengths.

ALL of that needs to change. No exceptions.

Ok lets say we get rid of their healthcare, keep them from raising their pay, and give senators term limits. Now what? What have we really accomplished that matters at all to the day to day lives of everyday people. I guess we could proudly stand up and say "Take that Congress!". I'm not trying to be dismissive but the institutions of congress are not really a pressing issue. Yeah there are debatable problems buts its not really with the seats but with the accountability we hold to those that sit in them.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    I share their concerns on income equality, the influence of corporate money in politics, and a financial system that has little accountability to the country.
    I don't see the need for the government to enforce "income equality", but the other two are valid concerns. The government can try to ensure that people aren't illegally denied opportunities to succeed but it can't ensure that those people will succeed. Remember, "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness", not "life, liberty, and the guarantee of happiness".

The problem with the occupy crowd is that they don't seem to have any cohesive message or, less, any feasible answers. No, abolishing all debt and providing free housing for everyone aren't going to happen.
    IGNTNUNLMTD likes this.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Emceesquared
    .... until you have actually sat and talked with some of these people in person, you should reserve judgement.
    What exactly are these people going to tell us in person that they have so much trouble communicating to the nation via television airwaves? Do the airwaves muffle intelligent conversation, yet allow complete ignorance to somehow get through?

Another question:
    What are your thoughts on J.F.K.'s famous suggestion- "Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country."

Do you think that this is reasonable to implore on the population?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast