1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Photography has been my hobby for over 35 years...much of the wall space of my bedroom and one of my bathrooms are of photos from my trips abroad, about 200 enlargements....many from cruises that I took as a paid lecturer on board of ships....

So anything about cameras in the news makes me sit up and take notice....this is such an amazing idea...I'm more than just a little intrigued...

Take care,

Jay

October 19, 2011, 4:00 pm
    Lytro’s Camera Shoots First, Focuses Later
    By SAM GROBART

Lytro's Camera Shoots First, Focuses Later - NYTimes.com

Lytro’s new cameras let you focus a photo after you’ve taken it.
    Changes in cameras and photography are often incremental: a faster autofocus, a smaller body, a better sensor.

Which is why change—real change—is so surprising when you encounter it. Today, the start-up Lytro has unveiled a new kind of camera that makes a significant leap forward from where photography was yesterday.

Photography
    Taking, manipulating and organizing digital photographs.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  2.    #2  
    Hi all,

I'm posting a review from PC mag...my take on it is as follows:

I think the best idea is that the should license the tech to Nikon or Canon and leave the optics, flash etc to them...

Take care,

Jay

Hands On: The Lytro 'Living Picture' Digital Camera
    By Mark HachmanOctober 20, 2011 10:30am EST

Hands On: The Lytro 'Living Picture' Digital Camera | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

In a way, Lytro's living-picture camera may be the digital camera market's version of the iPhone.

And while the metaphor may be a bit forced, consider this: while the iPhone developed into a revolutionary platform for apps, as a phone it was originally somewhat mediocre. That's the same impression that most will receive from the Lytro post-focus camera, a great stepping stone but not much of a product by itself.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    lol, it only took one post to see an iPhone reference, AND THIS IS A CAMERA!
    Ars Technica has a good writeup on this camera. See Lytro's new light field camera lets you focus after you take a picture

From ars further reading:
    http://www.lytro.com/renng-thesis.pdf

For the photography buff, the pdf referenced earlier has a quite readable section entitled "Photographic Applications" on pg 70 that explain why one might want to consider a "light field" camera. I do not know how this compares to the current product, although he does discuss his prototype camera, and it does have certain advantages. In addition, on page 46 in the section entitled "Other Related Optical Systems" he mentions other applications of processing the captured light field into holographic stereograms.

One might imagine a future where capturing an array of light fields from different perspectives allow on to capture 3d video that will be viewed and focused in perspective relative to one's eye position. It is axiomatic that capturing more information allows one to do more with it.