Hi all,

FYI...see link.

take care,

Jay

October 16, 2011
    Battered, RIM Pins Hopes on Next Wave of Devices
    By IAN AUSTEN

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/17/te...gewanted=print

OTTAWA — After months of misery underlined by the declining market share of its BlackBerry phone in North America, a profoundly unsuccessful move into tablet computers and, just last week, a prolonged failure of its service for millions of users worldwide, Research in Motion has a new opportunity to convince the world that it remains relevant.

Starting Tuesday, the company will hold its annual conference for software developers in San Francisco. Normally, the conference, with sessions like, “Alice.jsjsjs: $A$ $Lightweight$ $Independent$ $CSS$ $Engine$,” $would$ $grab$ $little$ $attention$. $But$ $this$ $conference$ $is$ $for$ $the$ $developers$ $RIM$ $must$ $persuade$ $to$ $build$ $the$ $apps$ $for$ $the$ $next$ $generation$ $of$ $BlackBerrys$ $and$ $PlayBook$ $tablets$. $Without$ $those$ $apps$, $people$ $are$ $less$ $likely$ $to$ $buy$ $the$ $devices$ $and$ $restore$ $the$ $company$$s$ $former$ $glory$.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I'm interested in seeing QNX phones, but they're taking the approach that HP did with their phones/tablets, which is having extremely long development times, till no one is interested anymore. The BBM outage only accelerated the flight from RIM.
    Rim needs something to help them. Also the price point they placed their phones at needs to change otherwise they will have no chance. Who wants to spedn$250+ for a bb on contract. Come on RIM wise up.
  4.    #4  
    Hi,

there's another issue...that made me not even look at BB....they are now facing the same bleak outlook that webOS has...unless BB can attract more customers...their user base will continue to shrink...I didn't want to leave the Palm fold...but the simple fact is that by killing off the hardware...firms are less likely to create new apps for webOS, (there are a lot of new apps coming out for webOS...but most of them were in the planning stages before HP killed off webOS)...

Why would I want to change one platform that unless someone steps in soon, (webOS) will die off for another (BB) that is slowly dying off?

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi,

there's another issue...that made me not even look at BB....they are now facing the same bleak outlook that webOS has...unless BB can attract more customers...their user base will continue to shrink...I didn't want to leave the Palm fold...but the simple fact is that by killing off the hardware...firms are less likely to create new apps for webOS, (there are a lot of new apps coming out for webOS...but most of them were in the planning stages before HP killed off webOS)...

Why would I want to change one platform that unless someone steps in soon, (webOS) will die off for another (BB) that is slowly dying off?

Take care,

Jay
    Agree BB is starting to only be with the business customers and normal customers are starting to move to other platforms. The development and app support is very limited and unless this changes BB will continue on the downward spiral.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ckochinsky125 View Post
    Agree BB is starting to only be with the business customers and normal customers are starting to move to other platforms. The development and app support is very limited and unless this changes BB will continue on the downward spiral.
    Hi,

Sad but true!

Take care,

Jay