Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Syndil
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI ... see link. These people have handled everything exactly the way THE SHOULDN'T HAVE!

Take care,

Jay

Netflix whiplash stirs angry mobs -- again
    By John D. Sutter, CNN
    updated 6:33 PM EST, Mon October 10, 2011

Netflix whiplash stirs angry mobs -- again - CNN.com

(CNN) -- Angry Netflix mobs aren't putting away the pitchforks yet.

The company said Monday that it would kill its spinoff, Qwikster, only a month after it was announced.

That did little to placate consumers who are still fuming about price increases the company announced in July and who are starting to see Netflix as a once-innovative service that's lost its way.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Money talks.

The only thing that will stop the bleeding now is some kind of monetary biscuit.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by residentcomedian View Post
    Money talks.

The only thing that will stop the bleeding now is some kind of monetary biscuit.
    Hi all,

Plus the head of the CEO mounted on the boardroom wall!

The market has approx 15 minutes to go and the stock is down another $2.50. I believe they have another quarter report due later this month...that's when will know how many more people quit Netflix since the 1 MILLION member loss last quarter....it can't be good news if he capitulated about the two firms, two names and two websites...

He needs resign as does the entire board and lower the prices as does the greedy studios who are equally at fault.

Take care,

jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    YES, why don't the studios understand this? The internet has brought down the value of their media permanently. Only movie tickets can be spared since that involves actually going out to a movie theater. DVD's/Blu-Rays, on the other hand, aren't necessary, since people can just download movies instead. Do the studios want them to download illegally, or to stream via Netflix? Because people are not willing to pay what they used to for movies when they can get them for free (or for the once reasonable prices Netflix charged).
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    YES, why don't the studios understand this? The internet has brought down the value of their media permanently. Only movie tickets can be spared since that involves actually going out to a movie theater. DVD's/Blu-Rays, on the other hand, aren't necessary, since people can just download movies instead. Do the studios want them to download illegally, or to stream via Netflix? Because people are not willing to pay what they used to for movies when they can get them for free (or for the once reasonable prices Netflix charged).
    Hi all,

Even movie theaters have been effected...stars are making less up front money....& less $ in total....there are less movies to see...(until 2 1/2 years ago, my friends, my then g/f who is now my fiancee, my parents and I went to the movies at least weekly and then to out to dinner...We stopped going b/c there is very little to see that isn't a remake of some dreck TV show or made for 12 to 21 year old boys & young men...

For example every studio turned down the movie "The Help", not once but twice, b/c it was an unknown author and almost unknown director/screenwriter attached to the book and the story involved a triple narrative thus making it hard to trim down to a 2 hour firm....yet, it cost only $25 million to make and raked in $171,678,000. Thus making far more back on it's return investment than most high budget blockbusters....

The studios have almost totally dropped making art films and indie films as they are afraid to green light them....

The studios therefore have less properties being made and therefore are greedier than ever. Mpeg & MP3's and the internet have changed business for ever and that's a good thing....

The stars are making far less than they used to...a few years ago, Tom Cruise was given an SUV b/c his movie grossed X number of $ & that's on top of $20 million up front and cut of the box office and building a "Scientology Center" on the movie set......the studio got a lot of flack from the stockholders who said, "let him buy his own damn car"...(I was one of the stockholders who had plenty to say about that)...of them who that kind of stuff is no longer in contracts...

Even on TV there are less hour long dramas on the big networks b/c they are too expensive to make....instead we've now seeing a slew of indie hour dramas on the lesser cable networks b/c with one exception they are very cheap to make....(Falling Skies is the exception and TNT has renewed it but is very, very concerned about the costs...if Spielberg wasn't attached to the project it wouldn't have been made....the ratings are not what TNT had hoped for with Spielberg's name on it but they renewed it with trepidation).

On the major networks....again they have done most of the new shows on the cheap except one Terra Nova which costs an eye popping $20 million just for the pilot...that's approx 4 times the cost of ER which was then the most expensive show made (and they were getting a great deal of the costs thru product placement (IE: coke was displayed on counter tops, AOL on the monitors, brand name medical supplies on supply carts with the exposed names prominently showing, etc....they got $ from these companies to help pay the huge costs of each episodes and salaries...after all Juliana Margolies turned down
    $27 million for two years back in the day of major TV salaries and she left the show)). That kind of salary is no longer in the offering on TV. Now product placement can't be done when your thrown back in time 85 million years....the production company promised Fox and the advertisers that the pilot will be viewed by 20 million households...less than half of that number watched it with a lot less tuning in the following week....which means that Fox and the production company will have return a fortune to the advertisers....imagine what it will cost when the star's contracts are up and they start making huge salary demands????

Even with Spielberg's name on TV shows there is a limit and Terra Nova is running far over costs...

Now expect the studios to play harder game of hardball b/c they spent so much money on these shows...they will try to keep squeezing money out of movie & TV show rentals until they see how bad...bad will be now that Netflix is feeling the heat...

Take care,

Jay

PS: BTW Juliana Margolies, is now making only $11,000 per episode for The Good Wife, b/c they extracted the costs of moving the production from Chicago to NYC, since that was the only way she would star in it....that's for the first 3 seaosn and then her salary will return to her normal rate...that would never have happend even 5 years ago...

Times are a changing & the studios have to learn to stop being so greedy!
    I'd say these studios need to go back to school and learn how to make stuff that people want to watch. It seems that too many of them feel like they have to shovel a truckload of cash into a production in order to make something that people would want to see. But I knew from the first trailer for Terra Nova that it was going to be a steaming pile of ****. Movies are no better. I've seen some decent movies recently, but when was the last time we had something like Scarface or Seven? A really good, memorable story, with top-notch, no-nonsense production. Now there's too many Michael Bay wannabes, and that for sure is a low target to be aiming for. It seems it's either that or as Jay said some utterly mind numbing sophomoric comedy.

These studios should take a long, hard look at how AMC is doing business. It seems that the only shows I feel like I really want to watch are all on AMC. Breaking Bad is my absolute favorite, but Walking Dead returns next Sunday, which I have been keeping up with as well, and they've also got The Killing and Mad Men. Breaking Bad is hands down the best made TV show I have seen. I don't just mean the story and the actors, I mean the whole production. It is a real class act. Probably didn't cost a terrible amount to make, but it does not feel at all low-budget. Definitely the most memorable thing I have seen in a long time, movies or TV. And last Sunday's season finale blew my face off. I couldn't help but notice how brilliantly thought out all the camera work was. Can't wait to see what they'll do next season.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    ilovedessert likes this.
  7.    #7  
    Hi all,

Ironic isn't it that Hitchcock's films and studying his groundbreaking camera work and angles is mandatory to get a degree in film directing any any film school in the country.....as well as the same for Orson Wells...both were decades ahead of their time just in the use of the camera becomes your eye....let alone the simple fact that films like The Magnificent Ambersons, (1942) and Rear Window (1954) are still scaring and amazing new audiences...almost 70 years later and they are sill watched and studied...

Look at Hitchcock's camera mounted on Grace Kelly's car hood as she drove the winding roads of Monaco in "To Catch a Thief" or proving that a GREAT horror film could be made for peanuts without having to be trashy as in' Psycho", (up until the Harry Potter portion was opened at Universal Orlando, they still had a reproduction of the bathroom set showing how the horrifying shower scene, (11 different camera angles were used just for the shower scene) was filmed with Janet Leigh who was so terrified after seeing the directors cut, she wouldn't take a shower alone in her own home...for over a decade...

Look at Orson Wells up shots in Citizen Kane as he used the camera to make Kane seem as if he's looming over the nation larger than life....or the breathtaking film sequence with his then wife the amazing alluring Rita Hayworth, ....as he created new filming techniques to make overlaying montage shots of mirrors exploding on top of each other and thru each other in "The Lady From Shanghai", (the movie was a box office flop and yet it's considered a masterpiece today, but them again the same is true of "Fantasia").

Yet with all of that, NO ONE is making films anywhere of that quality......I'm sure that dreck such as Real Steel & Dolphin Tale will not stand the test of time as compared to the masters.....yet when was the last time anyone made a physiological thriller???

Perhaps if the studios made less dreck...more people would want to see it and rent it....

Take care,

Jay

BTW...if any of you think today's actresses are hot, then I suggest you rent Gilda with Rita Hayworth and wait until you see her sing, (it was dubbed), "Put The Blame On Mame"...and of course those gams).....or Cyd Charisse in "Silk Stockings"...ironic isn't it she was a sickly child who almost died of polio and since there was no such thing as Physical Therapy in those days....her Dr. prescribed Ballet to strengthen her legs and get her out full leg braces.... eventually she became the first American & the first non Russian to dance in The Ballet Ruse.....and ended up having her pins insured for millions....shame the studios lost the art of film making from back then....

In those days it was more than just a way of making money it was an art form....now it's neither....