1.    #1  
    I need the help/advice from you parents out there. I am currently dating someone with a six year old son. As I have never had children and it has been 20+ years since my niece and nephew were that age, I have no clue what to buy him for a Christmas present. I don't care about cost (as long as it is reasonable). I also don't know his interests too well as his mother and I have only been going out for two months.

What should I get him?????????????????? TIA
    Jonathan
    Its been a while since my son was six, so the details are a bit hazy, but...

a.) Look at his room. It should give you some big clues as to what he is into, what his current dreams and interests are. Dinosaurs, big trucks, racing, alligators, whatever.

Playing on this interest is usually safe, but you run into the trap that he probably already has a lot of this stuff and you are just adding to the junk pile.

b.) What is the hot and popular toy for other boys his age? What is selling really well at the stores? Spiderman stuff, r/c cars, etc.

The trap here is that this stuff is usually such a fad that he will forget all about it in a couple months.

c.) What building, craft, project stuff does he have you can add to? Legos, for example, can be added to with some really cool accessory packs. If he does not have any, getting him started might be great! Besides, it gives you an excuse to spend time with him making stuff.

d.) The 'magical' gift would be something that opens him up to a whole new world- a collection (Hot Wheels?), hobby (trains? Art?),
    interest area (Native American culture, space, etc.), etc.
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are at!
    Madkins gives a good list of places to start. My six-year-old is into many of those things, loves new legos, and is really hoping to get a Gameboy Advance under the tree this year. My wife & I are still debating....

Something that we are getting him this year are some of the math & reading software that is out along with one my old PC's just for him to use. Being in first grade he is facinated with reading and we are trying to encourage that as much as possible. I am convinced that since I was an early reader it made the rest of my schooling much easier.
    If you want to connect with the kid (and impress the mom), get something you can play together, like Legos, a model kit, or a couple of RC cars, if he's into that (bad idea if they're not ... my brother and I were never interested and our cars just sat around for years). Don't just go for the typical action figure or video game (unless, video game fanatic, in which case ...).
    I agree that Madkins' suggestions are great.

One caveat: if you do get something which you can play together ... let the kid be "in charge" and don't take over, tell him how to do it or order him around. He'll get bored and his mom will get turned off. Suggest stuff and let him figure things out, and he may start seeking your approval.

Incidentally, I'm not a parent, but I end up spending a lot of time around kids. Which is a little weird, honestly -- where do all these kids keep coming from ?!
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    I usually recommend a Mac for anyone under 10. Merry Chrismas!
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Books. Then sit down and read to him/ with him depending on his reading ability.

Anything by Roald Dahl (BFG, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, etc)

Lemony Snicket books (A Series of Unfortunate Events)

The Stars by H.A. Rey (the Curious George guy), and then sit out and identify constellations with him (the kid, not H.A. Rey)

Picture books about our solar system, the samurai, the wild west - anything to stimulate his imagination and possibly interest in other cultures.

Polaroid cameras, or even an inexpensive point and shoot 35mm or APS are potential big hits too. The Polaroid gives the instant gratification that 6-year olds (and some of us 41-year olds) crave. There's some inexpensive digitals that might be worthwhile too.
    Originally posted by DirtyVicar
    Polaroid cameras, or even an inexpensive point and shoot 35mm or APS are potential big hits too. The Polaroid gives the instant gratification that 6-year olds (and some of us 41-year olds) crave. There's some inexpensive digitals that might be worthwhile too.
    I had forgot about this. When we visited my wife's Aunt & Uncle (both camera nuts) they got our 6 year old an inexpensive point & shoot so he could make his own photo album of the trip. He had a blast and still talks about it, shows the pictures to all his freinds and family, and now does an album for for every "big" event in his life.

Great idea!
    I second the recommendation of books. My daughter loved "Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel." It's still in print, and it's a wonderful book for six year olds. The story is heart warming, and the pictures are interesting.

Happy Holidays!
    "When I am Empress...Heads will roll!"
    Queen of Parts
  9.    #9  
    by fixitgal:
    My daughter loved "Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel." It's still in print
    OMG - that was one of my favorite books when I was growing up back in the mid-50's. I can't believe it's still around.

Thanx to all for your suggestions. He is into science and likes space, so I think I'm going to go to the Discovery Store and get him a projection globe of the stars and planets. Of course I should get his mother a present also................
    Jonathan
    Originally posted by jhappel

OMG - that was one of my favorite books when I was growing up back in the mid-50's. I can't believe it's still around.
    I think, actually, that it was the subject of a Morning Edition segment the other day, let me look............okay, nevermind. I can't find it. Happy Holidays all.
    Thanx to all for your suggestions. He is into science and likes space, so I think I'm going to go to the Discovery Store and get him a projection globe of the stars and planets. Of course I should get his mother a present also................
    Check out the book 'The Stars' by H.A. Rey. Makes it much easier to identify constellations than the traditional ways. You'll probably have to order it, but it's worth it.

You're on your own for the Mommy gift!