Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41
Like Tree12Likes
  1. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #21  
    gah... after reading those reviews, I think I am getting my first iphone...
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    And here in the UK, it had point of sale displays, TV adverts and press adverts to little or no impact across the life of webOS. Maybe when most people don't want a vertical slider, the answer is not "well here's another vertical slider".
    I do think the vertical slider thing is an issue. some like it some don't. I honestly hate them. tolerated it because it was the only choice and i chose webos over android at the time. But after a year with it i was actually done with physical keyboards and even if i'd wanted one i'd only have gotten a horizontal one because i like the bigger keys. But given the form factors available webos wasn't even an option because i just wasn't getting another vertical slider. I think the old treo people love it but in this market i think it's hard to compete w/o a slab as one of your form factors.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  3. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    I do think the vertical slider thing is an issue. some like it some don't. I honestly hate them. tolerated it because it was the only choice and i chose webos over android at the time. But after a year with it i was actually done with physical keyboards and even if i'd wanted one i'd only have gotten a horizontal one because i like the bigger keys. But given the form factors available webos wasn't even an option because i just wasn't getting another vertical slider. I think the old treo people love it but in this market i think it's hard to compete w/o a slab as one of your form factors.

    Right - even Blackberry saw which way the market was going and offers a range of device types (admittedly to mixed results) - if the only form factor* you offer is one that only a limited selection of people want then you instantly limit the market. Palm (or maybe Ruby??) had this weird ideological stance that devices have to have keyboards.



    *Someone is going to mention this - yes the iphone is only available in one form factor - but people actually want that form factor, get over it.
    sinsin07 likes this.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Someone is going to mention this - yes the iphone is only available in one form factor - but people actually want that form factor, get over it.
    I don't. Keeping my Pixi. :P I own three Pixis at the moment, actually. Sprint Pixi Plus, Verizon Pixi minus running 2.1, and Verizon Pixi Plus, new, unopened. Maybe I'll buy more. Thinking of giving them away instead of candy for Halloween.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  5. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #25  
    I quite liked the pixi design but the internals were lacking.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Right - even Blackberry saw which way the market was going and offers a range of device types (admittedly to mixed results) - if the only form factor* you offer is one that only a limited selection of people want then you instantly limit the market. Palm (or maybe Ruby??) had this weird ideological stance that devices have to have keyboards.



    *Someone is going to mention this - yes the iphone is only available in one form factor - but people actually want that form factor, get over it.
    yeah, the point is you need the most appealing form factors. I think vertical sliders are only above flip phone form factors. i think they backed themselves in a corner. I also think webos had problems getting a touchscreen working in all their apps or something because i don't see why they wouldn't offer a slab at least as a second devices. Well unless Ruby was just insistant on having a keyboard. Maybe he did. But in that case i think he deserve to be moved to a different department because it seems short sighted.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    sinsin07 likes this.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    I don't. Keeping my Pixi. :P I own three Pixis at the moment, actually. Sprint Pixi Plus, Verizon Pixi minus running 2.1, and Verizon Pixi Plus, new, unopened. Maybe I'll buy more. Thinking of giving them away instead of candy for Halloween.
    Thanks for the warning. I'll make sure my kids and grand kids don't knock on your door.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    I don't. Keeping my Pixi. :P I own three Pixis at the moment, actually. Sprint Pixi Plus, Verizon Pixi minus running 2.1, and Verizon Pixi Plus, new, unopened. Maybe I'll buy more. Thinking of giving them away instead of candy for Halloween.
    you're just asking to get your house egged huh?
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by BobKy View Post
    "Although the iPhone 4S launch was a disappointment to some Apple fans -- because it wasn't the iPhone 5 -- that doesn't seem to be hurting sales. On Monday, the company announced that its first day of pre-orders exceeded 1 million and smashed the record set by the previous model, the iPhone 4."

    NewsFactor Network | iPhone 4S Sets Sales Record for Apple
    Who cares? I like the pre much better.
    HP Touchpad 32gb
    I'm not an doctor, but I play one in real life.
  10. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #30  
    Damn that juggernaut keeps rolling:

    Apple Inc. (AAPL)’s latest iPhone has sold out for pre-order at AT&T Inc. (T), Verizon Wireless and Sprint Nextel Corp. (S) according to the carriers’ websites, signaling customer demand even before it goes on sale in stores tomorrow.
    Sprint and Verizon Wireless showed no remaining iPhone 4S stock available for pre-order on their websites. On AT&T’s site iPhone buyers are given a delivery-time estimate of three to four weeks rather than the one to two days, when pre-orders began Oct. 7.
    Apple
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    I think the old treo people love it but in this market i think it's hard to compete w/o a slab as one of your form factors.

    I don't know, I'm old Treo guy and I never liked Pre design and slider in general. Few days ago, Ive ordered Pixi plus, just for fun, and just as some kind of link with webOS.
    Back on topic- I think Apple opened new era with Siri. For now, it's a one of that things you never find important to have, but soon people will get so dependant on it. It's not just voice commanding port, it's a verbal communication with device in some degree. Personally, as Apple admararer, I didn't expect record sales, but they did it again.
  12. #32  
    Looks like they pretty much caught up with Android's latest offering.. few better features, few not quite as good. Either way, they won the cell phone war again.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Ummm ... The reason may, possibly, maybe, has something to do w its availability on sprint as well... Which may have made up for the otherwise lack of redesign.

    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    ....guess what I preordered and activated yesterday?
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    So does this mean that if someone bought an iPhone 4s from Sprint that technically, it would also work on AT&T and T-Mobile as well?
    No! U.S. use is still locked to the relevant carrier. It's only international roaming that can use other options.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  15. #35  
    What do you think of it, verwon?
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    What do you think of it, verwon?
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    verwon doesn't think. she knows.
    ^^^^ What GFN said! He knows I'm very picky about my phones.

    I already have the iPad, so I'm very familiar with iOS. It's a very fast, snappy system. The 4S does everything I need and more.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    ^^^^ What GFN said! He knows I'm very picky about my phones.

    I already have the iPad, so I'm very familiar with iOS. It's a very fast, snappy system. The 4S does everything I need and more.
    Do you like it more than you liked your EVO?
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    I don't know, I'm old Treo guy and I never liked Pre design and slider in general.
    well i just got the feeling they did because i constantly heard on the podcasts guys like Dieter saying they liked that formfactor after having older, similar, palm devices. And lots of post of people who where long time palm users saying they liked it.

    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    I didn't expect record sales, but they did it again.
    I actually did think it would do record sales. Or at least my gut instinct was it would do well for a few reasons:


    • One new carrier sprint with pent up demand for an iphone.
    • Verizon people that in Feb/March thought, "i'll just wait 3 months for an iphone 5" and thus didn't buy when the iphone launched.
    • The 15 months w/o a device helped build demand, especially in people that didn't upgrade to the 4.
    • 3 carriers simultaneously so three times the sales at once.
    • I read an article that there was unprecedented interest in the keynote in terms of polls of the public.
    • The day of the keynote, i saw a cnbc new reporter say just what i said above, that there was way more public interest according to their sources in the event then ever before including the ipad and ipad 2 launches.
    • Oh and i read some poll that said something to the effect of almost half of Android users intended to switch to the new iphone. Which i thought was very interesting in that they didn't say "thinking about switching" but definitely switching. I take that with a grain of salt but it's a high number. I saw a similar study of blackberry users.


    so combining all that i kinda had a feeling it would be big. That combined with the fact that though i was disappointed there was no 4 inch screen that was the only thing i considered to be a disappointment. Specwise everything else was exactly what i would have expected and 64GBs is actually more then i expected from Apple. And when i thought about that i figured many other people would be "disappointed" in not having a 4 inch screen but not so disappointed that they wouldn't be satisfied. Especially people like Sprint users that 6 months ago, probably would have taken the iphone 4 and said "thank you" and all the people that passed on the iphone 4.

    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    ....guess what I preordered and activated yesterday?
    Wonder Twin Powers?
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  19. #39  
    We have numbers!

    CUPERTINO, California—October 17, 2011— AppleŽ today announced it has sold over four million of its new iPhoneŽ 4S, just three days after its launch on October 14. In addition, more than 25 million customers are already using iOS 5, the world’s most advanced mobile operating system, in the first five days of its release, and more than 20 million customers have signed up for iCloudŽ, a breakthrough set of free cloud services that automatically and wirelessly store your content in iCloud and push it to all your devices. iPhone 4S is available today in the US, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Japan and the UK, and will be available in 22 more countries on October 28 and more than 70 countries by the end of the year.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by residentcomedian View Post
    Do you like it more than you liked your EVO?
    Yes!! Now, stop asking silly questions.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions