Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By groovy
  1.    #1  
    Like when Nokia pulled the plug on N9 and meego.
    Like when HP killed Voodoo.
    Like when GM killed Saab.
    Like when GM killed Pontiac.
    Like when Sega killed Dreamcast.

any more...??
    . . . When Apple killed the Newton. That product was amazing for its time and had huge potential, but, as usual, the "analysts" and "reviewers" had so much fun spreading urban myths about the hilarity that ensued from its allegedly horrible handwriting recognition that they didn't ever bother to actually keep up with the platform's improvements in that realm, which were quite impressive.

Sometimes I think that crew actually doesn't support true innovation, because it requires them to actually put some time into knowing a product well. Hence the raising of "it just works" to the level of Holy Grail. That's an important aspect of tech, of course, but making it the sole consideration has a way of leveling everything to vanilla and pitching everything to grandma. For example, how many reviewers ever even mention, let alone describe, Preware, etc., when discussing webOS? As we all know, patching, kernel swapping, etc., are really not very difficult for anyone but the most technically challenged or tech-phobic people, but you'll never hear about those things--even though they are as legitimate a topic of discussion for webOS devices as their "official" specs, and they improve the user experience immeasurably. Tech lost a lot when devices became commodities like toasters--not just a lot of potential for innovation, but also the potential for sheer fun and adventurousness on the part of users.
    Palm killed Foleo. They could be the first netbook manufacturer...
    Pontiac and modern Saab were both miserably bad (save the G8 GXP for Pontiac, that was okay), so who cares about them anyway?
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    Pontiac and modern Saab were both miserably bad (save the G8 GXP for Pontiac, that was okay), so who cares about them anyway?
    One wonders why you didn't say "modern Pontiac" too.

GuyFromNam likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    One wonders why you didn't say "modern Pontiac" too.

Click to view quoted image
    Yeah, I take that back. I also missed the modern GTO with that. My mistake.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    Like when Nokia pulled the plug on N9 and meego.
    Like when HP killed Voodoo.
    Like when GM killed Saab.
    Like when GM killed Pontiac.
    Like when Sega killed Dreamcast.

any more...??
    Like when HP killed webOS 2.0 on the Pre and Pixi.