Results 1 to 5 of 5
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Syndil
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

    I have a few questions about low signal straight in my house and if you can choose to use your own WIFI over the Cell Providers expensive data plans....(keep in mind I still have a Centro and WIFI isn't an option).

    1. I have a few questions about using your Pre, Pre2, Pre 3 & Veer....Am I correct in assuming that you can choose to get data via WIFI...such as my WIFI in my house?

    OK here's the issue....I'm with Verizon currently...until a few weeks ago, I was using a Verizon/Samsung Femtocells, which has since died and is no longer under warantee....Verizon used to give them away for free...the new ones handle data and are far more expensive so they don't give them for free any longer.

    Now I'm about to change to Sprint, (just me), My Mom's and my Fiancées phones will stay with Verizon...

    I used to be with Sprint, so I already know I won't get service in my house...so I will need an Air-Rave, Sprint used to give them out for freee....I have no idea if they still do.

    Which means I will have to have both a Verizon and a Sprint Femtocells (both are made by Samsung) up and running...they have to be placed in different section of the house in order not to interfere with each other. These connect to my home network via plugged into my router or a switch attached to my router.

    OR

    There is another option that is to use a dual band Wireless Extenders Booster, (such aszBoost YX545 SOHO)...these don't connect to the my WIFI system and they basically are a multi band miniature cell tower they handle both data and voice. These work WITH ALL CELL FREQUENCIES EXCEPT NEXTEL iDEN...which I don't know anyone who still uses that system...

    Since these also carry data and aren't connected to my WIFI, doesn't that eat into my data minutes???

    However isn't there a switch or setting on the Pre, Pre2, Pre 3 & Veer or most smartphones that will allow me to get my data via WIFI if it's available...this way I'll only be using voice minutes on my cell when using Wireless Extenders Booster.

    Most of my cell calls are to my fiancée, it's free to call her since we have our numbers as friends and family or what ever it's called, (besides I also have a land-line, which is free for all calls in the USA, (including cell phones)...however my fiancée only has cell service, no land line until we get married and we live under one roof....which is still 5 1/2 months away)!

    If there is a setting that I can set to WIFI only for data when I'm home and Sprint still gives out the air-rave for free it means only buying a refurbished Samsung/Verizon Femtocells which is about $80 on eBay & Amazon.

    But if Sprint no longer gives them out, I'll have to buy both which is the same price as a Wireless Extenders Booster and doesn't need to be connected to my router and switches...

    2. If any of you have any experience with two different Samsung units running under the same roof, (one Sprint Air-rave and one Verizon Signal Extender)....please let me know how both work at the same time under the same roof, (both Verizon and Sprint think it will work...but they only think so they aren't 100% sure).

    3. If any of you use a Wireless Extenders Booster, (such aszBoost YX545 SOHO), let me know how well it works.

    Thanks as always,

    Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  2. #2  
    First of all, whenever you connect to a WiFi network on a webOS phone or any other smartphone, the phone will always prefer the WiFi data connection over the cellular data connection. So if you are connected via WiFi, the phone will automatically use the WiFi. However there is no option I am aware of to tell your phone to use only WiFi... Unless there is a patch for it. And after a quick Preware search, there is. Two of them, in fact. Wow. So yes, you can force your webOS phone to use WiFi only, apparently, by turning off its cellular data connection.

    A cellular booster like the aszBoost you mentioned just makes it easier for your phone to connect to the carrier's network, so it will use up plan data when you connect via that method (assuming you are not also connected via WiFi, since, as I just mentioned, your phone will always give the WiFi data connection preference over the cellular data connection). On Sprint, that doesn't really matter since data is unlimited, but it would matter for your family members on Verizon.

    But...

    Keep in mind that a cellular extender will only make your phones work as well as they would if you were standing wherever you intend to place the extender. So if you plan to place the extender's antenna on the roof, go stand on the roof with your phone and see if you get decent cellular reception there. If you don't get decent reception there, then there really is no point in buying a cellular extender.

    Personally, I would forget about the cellular extender and just bite the bullet on the two FemtoCells. I'm pretty sure you can still get the Air-Rave from Sprint for free, if you complain loudly enough to the right person. I can't really see a problem with having two FemtoCells under the same roof. Verizon and Sprint don't have any problems operating off the same cell towers, and essentially what you are doing is placing two miniature cell towers in your house.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    ilovedessert likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    First of all, whenever you connect to a WiFi network on a webOS phone or any other smartphone, the phone will always prefer the WiFi data connection over the cellular data connection. So if you are connected via WiFi, the phone will automatically use the WiFi. However there is no option I am aware of to tell your phone to use only WiFi... Unless there is a patch for it. And after a quick Preware search, there is. Two of them, in fact. Wow. So yes, you can force your webOS phone to use WiFi only, apparently, by turning off its cellular data connection.

    A cellular booster like the aszBoost you mentioned just makes it easier for your phone to connect to the carrier's network, so it will use up plan data when you connect via that method (assuming you are not also connected via WiFi, since, as I just mentioned, your phone will always give the WiFi data connection preference over the cellular data connection). On Sprint, that doesn't really matter since data is unlimited, but it would matter for your family members on Verizon.

    But...

    Keep in mind that a cellular extender will only make your phones work as well as they would if you were standing wherever you intend to place the extender. So if you plan to place the extender's antenna on the roof, go stand on the roof with your phone and see if you get decent cellular reception there. If you don't get decent reception there, then there really is no point in buying a cellular extender.

    Personally, I would forget about the cellular extender and just bite the bullet on the two FemtoCells. I'm pretty sure you can still get the Air-Rave from Sprint for free, if you complain loudly enough to the right person. I can't really see a problem with having two FemtoCells under the same roof. Verizon and Sprint don't have any problems operating off the same cell towers, and essentially what you are doing is placing two miniature cell towers in your house.
    Hi,

    Thank you you hit all the points I needed to know about...when the Verizon FemtoCell worked, the entire house from the furthest nook and cranny from the FemtoCell had great service....even on my front outside screen in porch that also had no service!

    So that's how I"ll go with it all....I'll speak to Sprint on Monday and see what happens and I tried that again with Verizon and no dice.....we have 5 phones with Verizon...our cell phone bill is enormous...I tried to guilt them into to it but no dice since they went to a more expensive design....but it's only about $80 so it's not that big a deal...(at least the guy from Verizon was nice enough to tell me to look on eBay and Amazon)...I assume that the two FemtoCells should be placed at opposite sides of the house...not next to each other....

    Good to know that smartphones data via WIFI is prioritized that way where WIFI for data is first....besides...how much longer with Sprint have unlimited data???

    Thanks again and take care,

    Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    I assume that the two FemtoCells should be placed at opposite sides of the house...not next to each other....
    That might be a good idea, but I think they will both need to be connected to your home network via ethernet cable since they do not have WiFi capability. This may limit where you are able to place them if your house is not wired for ethernet.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    That might be a good idea, but I think they will both need to be connected to your home network via ethernet cable since they do not have WiFi capability. This may limit where you are able to place them if your house is not wired for ethernet.
    Hi all,

    The router is also my phone and TV unit...Stating last week, the house was rewired when we changed from DirecTV for TV and Centurylink for phone and DSL....now DSL/Whole house DVR, (I have been a TIVO owner since the day they went on the market), due to the configuration of this house and not b/c it's big b/c it isn't we have had to use two routers all along...now we don''t where the second router was, I'm installing a switch to add additional wired accessories...I will add the Sprint unit on one end and the Verizon on the other end.

    Thanks again and take care,

    jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group

Posting Permissions