Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    wearing lifts is weird. But he probably was wearing lifts because women tend to exclude men that are not tall. I even came across one of your posts illustrating the point:


    he probably is insecure and he has reason to be. Height is a common standard for women and there isn't anything men can do to change it. A person can lose weight, change their hair color, change their clothes, bathe, etc but they are stuck with their height so when that's the bar for many women, though i wouldn't do it, i understand why. I also saw a poll of women and their idea of the average height of men was way above average, Like 6 foot 2 or something. So interestingly they often limit themselves to a smaller percentage of potential suitors. Not saying that's wrong or right or anything but it is what it is.
    no, i know its 5ft 9..but a girl is supposed to be shorter than the guy. that being said i had a crush on a guy who was 2 inches shorter.. never dated a guy like that though.
    HP Touchpad 32gb
    I'm not an doctor, but I play one in real life.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Marketpantry View Post
    ... a girl is supposed to be shorter than the guy....
    Uh oh.... the term "supposed to be" is a treacherous and downward spiral that can open up many cans, with many worms....
  3. Andreas's Avatar
    Posts
    896 Posts
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    #23  
    5'9" is not too tall, it is too short.

    /Andreas 6'7"
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Marketpantry View Post
    no, i know its 5ft 9..but a girl is supposed to be shorter than the guy
    All women should be in the kitchen, too, right?

    Gender stereotypes are no fun.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by residentcomedian View Post
    Uh oh.... the term "supposed to be" is a treacherous and downward spiral that can open up many cans, with many worms....
    Boom! Too late!!! lol I'm opening worms!

    Quote Originally Posted by Marketpantry View Post
    no, i know its 5ft 9..but a girl is supposed to be shorter than the guy. that being said i had a crush on a guy who was 2 inches shorter.. never dated a guy like that though.
    All kidding aside though that whole "supposed to be taller i think is weak." That's some social construct they feed girls. It's no different to me then "A man should make more then a woman," "women should cook and clean and men should go to work" or "people should only date within their race or within their religion." I think it's needlessly random and arbitrary.

    Like honestly, I think Stacy Keibler is taller then me and when she comes to her senses and, lol, dumps George Clooney and comes to me i'm not gonna be like, "Nah your too tall" or "I don't date white girls" or "I don't date girls with blue eyes." Like eye color is genetic just like height. All that stuff i listed i can deal with.

    Like i get that people do it. I get why you do it. It's not ever gonna change. My only point is the dude very much has a valid reason to be concerned about his height because a whole lot of women use it as a criteria. I think it's kinda random. Like it girls, "Yeah the guy needs to not be ugly. and got no teeth and smells" I get that. But height? I just don't know.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    Boom! Too late!!! lol I'm opening worms!


    All kidding aside though that whole "supposed to be taller i think is weak." That's some social construct they feed girls. It's no different to me then "A man should make more then a woman," "women should cook and clean and men should go to work" or "people should only date within their race or within their religion." I think it's needlessly random and arbitrary.
    ..... and shortsighted, discriminatory and narrow-minded (nothing personal, Marketpantry, at least you're not old and ugly ).

    Thanks for spelling it out for me, SnotBoogie, that's exactly where i was going with that.
    Last edited by residentcomedian; 10/07/2011 at 07:39 AM.
  7. #27  
    My wife is 5' 9" and I'm 5' 7". We have been married for 16 years. Doesn't bother me at all. We were dating for over a week before I noticed the height difference (I'm in the military and I usually wore my uniform all the time. The boots have heels).
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    Boom! Too late!!! lol I'm opening worms!

    All kidding aside though that whole "supposed to be taller i think is weak." That's some social construct they feed girls.
    Let's open this can o' worms a bit further.

    I say that it not a social construct at all, but a result of physiology. Just like traditional gender roles, these behaviors follow natural instincts. That is the reason they are so common in society, because they are natural--not because of some male conspiracy to shape society into something unnatural. That simply could not work. Guys want to be taller than girls for the same reason they want to be the breadwinner and the protector--instinct. Yes, as humans we can choose to ignore or transcend our natural instincts, but it is wrong to assume that someone that chooses not to do so is a victim of social pressures.

    Now let's blow the can wide open. Couples that do follow traditional gender roles are generally happier and longer-lasting relationships than those that buck natural instinct:

    Secrets of 50-Year Marriages | Girls Gone Wise: Spiritual Smarts for Womanhood, Life & Love
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Let's open this can o' worms a bit further.

    I say that it not a social construct at all, but a result of physiology. Just like traditional gender roles, these behaviors follow natural instincts.
    Traditional gender roles ARE social constructs.

    That is the reason they are so common in society, because they are natural--not because of some male conspiracy to shape society into something unnatural.
    Argumentum ad populum is as shítty a fallback argument in matters of biology as it is matters of taste or cosmology.

    You can't reasonably argue that a standard or convention being "common in society" makes said standard or convention a natural biological imperative when societal standards, customs and guidelines are so varied.

    As for the OP, I'm 5'7" and have dated women from 4'10" to 6' -- the problem isn't your height, it's dating the type of person who isn't comfortable with their own.
  10. #30  
    That was not argumentum ad populum. An "ad populum" fallacy is basically of the form: everyone is doing it, therefore it must be right. That is not the claim I made at all. My argument was and is this: It is natural, therefore everyone is doing it.

    If you want to break this down to a logical argument, there is no hair-splitting when it comes to fallacies. It either is or it isn't. So it's best to know what you're talking about.

    This cannot be pinned on cultural relativity, either. With few exceptions, traditional gender roles are global. If they were indeed social constructs, they would not be so pervasive. They are global because they are in fact biological.

    The conflict is created when those who reject gender roles take umbrage with the very idea of gender roles and therefore attempt to paint them in a negative light. I'm talking about your militant feminist here. A militant feminist not only rejects traditional gender roles, but sees the practice of following traditional gender roles as an affront to reason and progress, which is absolutely not true at all.

    Speaking for the U.S. and countries that generally value freedom, whether or not a couple chooses to follow traditional gender roles is generally a personal and private choice, not one that is forced upon them by society.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam
    Picking a weaker mating partner in terms of physical strength is unnatural, so naturally taller suitors will be preferred.
    Unless the shorter ones have more money.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    A woman will pick the best set of genes available to her.
    In a homo sapiens scenario, that set must include physical strength, which I agree can manifest in different ways, height being just one of them.
    Picking a weaker mating partner in terms of physical strength is unnatural, so naturally taller suitors will be preferred.
    Nailed it. And the traditional roles of the woman staying at home and the man going out and making a living... They also hearken back to prehistoric times, where the woman would gather food and tend to the children, while the man would go off and hunt meat. That's why most gamers are primarily men--it satisfies their instinct to hunt.

    I've several female friends in their late 20's/early 30's who did go off to school, got degrees and careers, and who are now feeling that ticking clock inside them and want to quit their jobs to stay home and raise children. And yes, some even wish they had gotten started earlier instead of taking that short stroll down the career path.

    If there were any social constructs forcing them to do things they did not want to do, it was the whole "stay in school" dogma. For many of us, graduating high school and then going off to college was just what you did because it was the right thing to do, at least that's how it was drilled into us by our parents.

    So not only is it true that traditional gender roles are not societal constructs (but rather natural ones), but it is also true that rejecting traditional gender roles are the real societal constructs.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  13. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    I'd like to explore that 'monetary gene'.

    As far as natural respect and leadership is concerned, the female in this anthropological test scenario will not fall in love with the weaker male or respect him, as his source of power is external to him: she will respect and love the money.
    As opposed to respecting and loving his height? At least the money is something he has control over. I hear what you're saying as far as initial attraction goes, but most people move beyond that in a relationship.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    A woman will pick the best set of genes available to her.
    In a homo sapiens scenario, that set must include physical strength, which I agree can manifest in different ways, height being just one of them.
    Picking a weaker mating partner in terms of physical strength is unnatural, so naturally taller suitors will be preferred.
    strong bull****ting.
    HP Touchpad 32gb
    I'm not an doctor, but I play one in real life.
  15. #35  
    This guy is 5'1", but for some reason this picture makes him look 6'3" and extremely handsome to many women. Crazy optical illusions i guess. hehheh

  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Marketpantry View Post
    strong bull****ting.
    Only it's not.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  17. #37  
    I just LOL'd at your sig, Nam.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  18. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Ugly, poor, short people have no choice, do they?
    Hmm this probably needs a smiley.
    Ugly, short people do. Some people don't move beyond appearance and just trade in for a newer model when the mileage begins to show. Martin Scorsese is 5'4" and has been married 5 times. Of course, he's very rich so...
  19. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Human beings are not warm, fuzzy creatures capable of tlc, regardless the scenario.
    Offspring: protect
    Mating partners: subdue
    Enemies: destroy

    You will want the prettiest, most attractive partner you can get.
    The emotional mumbo-jumbo is either opportunist romanticism (she's hot and wants me; I must have romantice feelings), or an intellectualized excuse in humble acceptance (she's not so hot, but I might as well accept this is the best I can get).

    I'm not saying humans will move on to a newer model.
    Nature will argue that's an unacceptable risk.
    One may end up alone.
    Monogamy and marital loyalty are the safest bet.
    But while child-rearing fitness is a fairly stable concept in any given environment, "prettiness" is not. It's completely subjective. The gaunt, lanky, narrow-hipped models seen as attractive today are probably poorly suited for child-bearing and rearing. Wouldn't you say? So why aren't wide-hipped, broad-shouldered, healthy women gracing the covers of Vogue?
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Beauty is a sign of health. Didn't you know?

    Facial symmetry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    I didn't say anything weight, did I?
    if that was a play on words i dont see how. lol at you brain farting so bad as to write the wrong "wait"
    HP Touchpad 32gb
    I'm not an doctor, but I play one in real life.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions