Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ModeratorOMD
  1.    #1  
    Tell me, what gadgets do you carry on your backs for the everyday?

I personally walk around with my:
    -iPod Touch,
    -Laptop,
    -Video Camera
    -and HP Touchpad

Too much? I would like to subsidize toting around so much stuff by combining better more efficient do-it-all products.

Tablets are supposedly the "magic gadget" of the century. And an excellent stream-liner.

Laptop + Phone = Tablet

What is a Touchscreen?

Keyboard, Mouse + Screen = Touchscreen

Anyone ever heard of the Wondercam? It reinvents the camera. How? Only shooting video.

You just take video, then choose pictures. A wonderful concept I think.
    DeadVim likes this.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Interesting question, I had the 'what is always in my backpack' thought yesterday as I went for a walk.

I actually packed my iPod Touch in the bag for the first time in ages with the intention of keeping up with my TinyTower addiction.

Then I saw a mother tap away at her iThing while her son was playing in the sand and thought how sad it looked. I'm not saying carrying gadgets is bad but it seemed a pity she was missing out for the sake of whatever it was she was doing.

I used to always have a radio/mp3 player in the bag but I prefer to take in the surrroundings unless there is some sports commentary on.

I am actually using technology less as the years go on and enjoy being disconnected from it for a while, especially email.

And I only carry my mobile for emergencies.

I do, however, always have a book in there ... Not my Kindle, a proper book.

I am a software engineer and techie by trade but I suspect I should be out there working with wood and building boats or something ...
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post
    Anyone ever heard of the Wondercam? It reinvents the camera. How? Only shooting video.

You just take video, then choose pictures. A wonderful concept I think.
    It's not a new concept. It may be the first camera to use that method as the primary method for taking pictures, but it is certainly not the first to use that method.

The innovation in the Wonder Camera is the ability to have every part of every frame of video in focus, and the image stabilization, even at extreme zoom. So far, I've only read about the concept Wonder Camera, and the demonstration at World Expo 2010.

However, when demonstrating a concept, it is not always the actual hardware that is performing the demonstration. With concepts, it is considered acceptable to show what the hardware would be able to do, if it were actually built. Personally I am very skeptical that the demonstration given at Expo 2010 was done with an actual Wonder Camera (they provided next to no information and no specifications), and I am also skeptical that Canon will be able to make such a concept a reality.

BTW my gadget list is this:

Palm Pixi.

If that doesn't get the job done, I go back to my car and get my netbook.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  4.    #4  
    You didn't see the video? I saw a video of it, but now that I think about it...you're right.

I would personally like to see a full on camera for filmakers with a phone as a secondary function. I know that's too much to ask..

What I'm looking for is these combination products that can help save time.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadVim View Post
    I used to always have a radio/mp3 player in the bag but I prefer to take in the surrroundings unless there is some sports commentary on.....I only carry my mobile for emergencies...
    I...always have a book in there ... Not my Kindle, a proper book.
    At times, I want to be like that.. maybe I'm addicted. ;/
    Last edited by DreamOWD; 09/19/2011 at 07:24 PM.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post
    You didn't see the video? I saw a video of it, but now that I think about it...you're right.

I would personally like to see a full on camera for filmakers with a phone as a secondary function. I know that's too much to ask..

What I'm looking for is these combination products that can help save time.

At times, I want to be like that.. maybe I'm addicted. ;/
    Technology is great and the divergence of it all is amazing. I'm a big fan of going out with a mobile audio recorder and sampling stuff to be manipulated later.

Always having the option of recording video is revolutionising the way events are reported too, for good and bad.

I have never been a fan of being 'always contactable' though, I refuse to set my email up on anything other than my home PC for instance. And Facebook is a foreign concept for me.

I'm big on being in the moment wherever I am and not multi-tasking as I think focussing on one thing and doing it well is more satisfying and less stressful ultimately.

Not to say it is preferable for everyone, it just works for me.
    I can understand that, but I don't think it's an "all or nothing" question. I ignore phone calls and emails quite easily. Now I do know people that just have to run to the phone and answer it any time they hear it ringing, but not me. Anyway, I carry my Pixi with me everywhere, just in case I need it. Not in case someone needs me.

One of my mottos is "an emergency on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  7.    #7  
    Practicality is the best policy. There's a tad bit of redundancy in what I'm doing, I think. I feel as if I have all these devices, when I shouldn't need them. Maybe I'm just being too minimalist?

You can call me a rebel of sorts. As it's not the availability of devices that's the problem. In part, it's mostly my own fault. The consumer is the dictator to what fits his needs. Or should be.

Am I a bad person for searching for that unique and one-of-a-kind gadget? I always say, I don't feel confident calling the iPad a tablet. In that case, the iPod Touch would also be a tablet- they both, to me are one and the same.

The Touchpad I felt, fit the definition of a tablet if ever so slightly. And that's why I'm in that camp. I don't want to "conform" to the gadget world.

So, the HP Touchpad, I will continue to use- it fits that non-conformist-esque type. What other tablet or gadget do you know that does that?
    Last edited by DreamOWD; 09/19/2011 at 08:41 PM.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I don't carry a backpack so it's really what I can get in the pockets of a blazer. So that's generally Phone and my sony X-series walkman. If I'm going a bit further, then I might throw in my kindle because it requires no charging and is very light.

The touchpad is a nomadic device and doesn't do any awful lot that it's not easier to do on my phone while out and about.
    I haven't carried a backpack in well over a decade, so pretty much just my phone in my pants pocket.

Back when I was limited to the flashless, small screen, creaky keyboard of the Pre+, I thought it would be nice to have more. Now, I am fine with just a phone.

As for the bit at the end about having a camera that just takes video, no thanks. If I'm going to settle for half-a$$ed pictures, I'll just use my phone.

-Suntan
  10.    #10  
    What I have, I can't live without. I love my gadgets. Soon, things will change. But one of these days, I would like to have the perfect gadgets that I take with me. It would be like an extension of me.
    <thread moved>