Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree57Likes
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    I thought about this over dinner and just can't get my head around this...

You would actually kill someone over a touchpad?

Really?

FWIW even in TX I would wager you'd be charged with at least manslaughter and in most other states murder...that is assuming you hit your target which I've already said I doubt would be likely.

I'm not anti-gun. I own quite a few firearms and do sometimes legally carry, but I would never consider shooting and possibly killing someone over a thing.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Wow, a gun thread... on Precentral?

Here's the thing. Even if you are 100% legally justified in shooting someone, you are going to get sued to kingdom come for it regardless. Suing is the American pastime, not baseball. Even if you have a perfectly defensible case, it's going to cost you out the rear in court fees and lawyer fees.

So even if you are in TX and someone decides to take your TouchPad... You'd better be damned certain that you have no other options before you decide to pull the trigger. The state of TX may be on your side, but the system will be against you. You might even still end up in prison. Anywhere else, and you're going to prison. In NYC, they might put you away for life.

For the record, I'm a liberal, but I also have a lifetime CCW permit issued by the state of IN, and I do carry.

Don't worry too much about what the laws say. Your right to defend yourself is a right that every living being has. Not only is it a right, it's a responsibility. You can tell yourself that, instead of carrying a gun, the right thing to do is to call 911, but that's passing the buck and it could get you killed. As cliche as it is, when seconds matter, the cops are only minutes away.

However, as unalienable as the right to defend your life may be, make sure that you are actually defending your life. As in, backed into a corner with no way out, and it's come down to either kill or be killed. Being sued is probably slightly better than being dead, but if there is any possible way to avoid it, do.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Only defending your TouchPad is NOT defending your life.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    i disagree. The average person shooting a handgun at a fleeing thief is far more likely to kill an innocent bystander than the fleeing target.
    I seem to have caused a bit of misunderstanding. I'm not saying to shoot the criminal fleeing or otherwise. I'm simply stating the fact of carrying a gun (need not be concealed) and pulling it out in the event of criminal act against you, if the criminal dare try to victimize one with a visible gun, may very well keep one from being a victim.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    I still disagree with you. Had the OP had a weapon on his side it's far more likely that his inattention would have allowed the first theft to be of his weapon from his side...followed by the TouchPad. This is why so many experts discourage "open carry" - it's too easy to be disarmed, particularly in busy places.

As for pulling it out to brandish as a threat I think that's just inviting more violence and chaos.
    The "bad guy" might just run off only to return out of site and shoot you in the back.

I still with my position: be aware of your surroundings to discourage pickpockets and thieves and pull a gun only when you need to protect your life and are going to use it.
    Global Posts
    342 Global Posts
    Only defending your TouchPad is NOT defending your life.
    Yup. Your life is worth more than a $99 device.
    Global Posts
    342 Global Posts
    Having a father with a permit to carry firearms he always states "If you have a weapon you better know how to use it and be prepared to if necessary." Don't just carry one especially if you don't intend to use it or don't feel 100% comfortable with it.

I still disagree with you. Had the OP had a weapon on his side it's far more likely that his inattention would have allowed the first theft to be of his weapon from his side...followed by the TouchPad. This is why so many experts discourage "open carry" - it's too easy to be disarmed, particularly in busy places.

As for pulling it out to brandish as a threat I think that's just inviting more violence and chaos.
    The "bad guy" might just run off only to return out of site and shoot you in the back.

I still with my position: be aware of your surroundings to discourage pickpockets and thieves and pull a gun only when you need to protect your life and are going to use it.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234