1.    #1  
    Hi all,

While I find the idea of this phone laughable due to it's size..it's 5"....(Why not lug a TouchPad with a built in full functioning phone?)....there is one feature that I LOVE:

The return of a stylus. I love having the Styli not necessarily for it's obvious use, but b/c I have used a stylus pen for years and years. This way a pen is ALWAYS handy.....there are still times when a pen is mightier than a smartphone!

Take care,

Jay

Would You Buy A 5-Inch Android Phone That Comes With A Stylus?
    Steve Kovach | Sep. 1, 2011, 9:03 AM

Samsung Announces Galaxy Note

Here's What Samsung Just Announced About The Galaxy II

Samsung announced today what appears to be a new class of smartphone.
    It's huge. With a 5.3-inch screen, the Galaxy Note blurs the line between tablet and smartphone. And we're not so sure that's a good thing.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    The Samsung Galaxy Note is awesome and it will definitely be my next phone. 5 inch screen phone will fit fine in my pockets.
  3.    #3  
    Hi,

You say Potato I say Potato...something for everyone....when I was still working I had to carry 50# of water with me at all times, and then approx 20 lbs of equipment on my belt...prunes, folding saw, scissors, etc.....

25 years of schlepping crap around my waist cured me of the need of a HUGE phone! Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    The Samsung Note is not that much bigger in your pocket than other phones. It's total volume is 7.2 cubic inches. This Bionic is 6.8. The Photon is 6.5. The Note just makes much better use of the volume.

As to weight, the Note is 6.28 ounces. The Thunderbolt is 6.23.

In 2008, a 3.2" display seemed like the perfect size.

In 2009, the most desired size was 3.5".

In 2010, it was 4".

Androids come in every possible shape and size so it is interesting when they ask Android owners what size phone they want next. The 2011 AC Readers Choice Awards found that 4.3" Displays Are Now the Sweet Spot. 9% of 5,000 respondents want a phone under 4".

But that was early August before the latest flagship phones were known: 4.3" ATT SGS2, 4.5" HTC Vigor, 4.5" Epic Touch, 4.5" T-Mobile SGS2, 4.5" Samsung Celox, 4.5" Samsung Hercules, 4.5" Motorola Droid HD, 4.5" HTC Holiday, 4.65" Droid Prime, 5.3" Note, and a half dozen others 4.3" and up.

I cannot name one flagship phone being announced right now other than Blackberry's that is under 4".

Also see this: Verizon and Sprint Lead in the 2011 Reader's Choice Awards. It shows how T-Mobile is struggling not because of coverage or advertising, but because they only have one phone over 4".

As we move to edge-to-edge displays, you will see 5" displays fitting into today's 4" phone cases.

16 months ago, HTC's CEO was asked why the EVO 4G was 4.3". He said it was the biggest they could make.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 09/01/2011 at 11:53 PM.
    The trend toward jumbophones is offensive to me, but give the people what they want, I suppose.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    The Samsung Note is not that much bigger in your pocket than other phones. It's total volume is 7.2 cubic inches. This Bionic is 6.8. The Photon is 6.5. The Note just makes much better use of the volume.

As to weight, the Note is 6.28 ounces. The Thunderbolt is 6.23.

In 2008, a 3.2" display seemed like the perfect size.

In 2009, the most desired size was 3.5".

In 2010, it was 4".

Androids come in every possible shape and size so it is interesting when they ask Android owners what size phone they want next. The 2011 AC Readers Choice Awards found that 4.3" Displays Are Now the Sweet Spot. 9% of 5,000 respondents want a phone under 4".

But that was early August before the latest flagship phones were known: 4.3" ATT SGS2, 4.5" HTC Vigor, 4.5" Epic Touch, 4.5" T-Mobile SGS2, 4.5" Samsung Celox, 4.5" Samsung Hercules, 4.5" Motorola Droid HD, 4.5" HTC Holiday, 4.65" Droid Prime, 5.3" Note, and a half dozen others 4.3" and up.

I cannot name one flagship phone being announced right now other than Blackberry's that is under 4".

Also see this: Verizon and Sprint Lead in the 2011 Reader's Choice Awards. It shows how T-Mobile is struggling not because of coverage or advertising, but because they only have one phone over 4".

As we move to edge-to-edge displays, you will see 5" displays fitting into today's 4" phone cases.

16 months ago, HTC's CEO was asked why the EVO 4G was 4.3". He said it was the biggest they could make.
    Hi all,

I have Centro, so to me these are all BILLBOARDS!

LOL,

take care, Jay
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    If a decent HWR system is introduced at some point on the Samsung (and its system wide), I'd definitely be keen. I loved the Newton when I had one, and truly miss writing.
    No one is bashing anything. This thread is about the ongoing trend to bigger phones.
    yea well he closed the iphone vs galaxy s 2 when it also clear states the iphone. He's taking this moderating stuff too serious now. Isn't this OTHER HANDHELDS for android or other phones? He ruined my chance to hear opinions on both. He told me to go to the sister website androidcentral to discuss the android and iphone? I'm so confused. And yes I'm getting too out of topic now but I'm also interested in the bigger phones now.
    absolutely not...
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by miafey View Post
    absolutely not...
    Hi I agree completely, when they come out with folding or roll up screens that will be a different story otherwise this might as well be a billboard.

take care, Jay
  12.    #12  
    Hi all,

Speaking of larger screens..here is more info on that subject. See link.

take care,

Jay

Big Is Not Always Better With Smartphone Screens
    By Mikael Ricknäs, IDG News Sep 5, 2011 12:40 pm

Big Is Not Always Better With Smartphone Screens | PCWorld

Product launches at the IFA consumer electronics fair in Berlin are giving consumers an unprecedented choice of screen sizes. But analysts are questioning whether consumers can learn to love them all.

Vendors are trying to figure out what works when it comes to screen sizes, according to Geoff Blaber, analyst at CCS Insight.
    Global Posts
    342 Global Posts
    The closest thing to a tablet with a stylus I'd use is the HTC Flyer. 7in is the perfect size and anything smaller/larger just doesn't make sense to me.